Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,150 times

Advertisements

This is a great time for me to finally get TV hooked up after the move. I will definitely be watching as Ken Burns, politics aside, usually does good stuff.

i know the Vietnam War and the books that came from it influenced my decision to join the Army in 92.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 08:38 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
<>My last time there was 1969 flying out of Tan Son Nhut airport in Saigon. Almost 50 years ago.
Hmmf. Sadly a lot of guys missed that part.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:14 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
The Vietnam War premieres on
Sunday, September 17 at 8 p.m. on PBS.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:21 AM

Ken Burns

Old 09-17-2017, 09:45 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,150 times
I enjoyed the first episode.

DVR is set for when I inevitably miss future episodes.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
I enjoyed the first episode.

DVR is set for when I inevitably miss future episodes.
I decided to pick up the DVD (bluray) from Amazon. Would like to learn more about the war. Was kind of young during those years. Father was there for two tours.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:28 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog811 View Post
I'll start it, but I'm not sure how much I'll watch. It depends on what it stirs up in me. I served with the 25th Infantry Division in the area around Cu Chi, Tay Ninh, and Dau Tieng. My experience over there is not one the chapters in my life I'm interested in revisiting. Other than the friends I made, there is nothing at all about that year I have positive memories of. It's not that it continued to affect me. To the contrary, I put it behind me and moved on. Haven't even discussed it much, other than with my immediate family and other veterans who were there. In fact I was a career soldier and stayed on active duty for another 14 years after I got back, retiring with 21 years of service.

I've seen several of his films. They're very interesting, thorough, and pretty well balanced if there are political issues associated with the subject. I expect this one will be the same. I'm taking it one episode at a time, and hope to make it all the way through. Based on his other work, I'd say that anyone interested in understanding this chapter of our recent history should watch it.

The first segment was a great history lesson going back to the French occupation, amazing how many lives were wasted from several countries including civilians. Very hard to understand the arrogance of these countries that occupy. Strange how there has been so little conversation on how we got to this point. I also served in the 25th Infantry Division out of Tay Ninh and FSB Rawlings 69-70, 2 year draftee.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:40 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I believe that we did overreact to the threat of communism, Ho Chi Minh just wanted a unified Vietnam which we have today. While you can edit any special to a particular slant there were hundreds of interviews from many people and countries that were involved. I take exception to the title as Ken Burns has in fact done with prior specials on the civil war, dust bowl, baseball, but I'm sure anyone can find fault depending on their opinion.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:08 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
What's sad is the number of high school students, college students, and college graduates who believe Nixon got USA into Vietnam. Another sad point is the denial among leftist that returning veterans didn't get called "baby killer" or "murderer" among other attacks.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:01 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I believe that we did overreact to the threat of communism, Ho Chi Minh just wanted a unified Vietnam which we have today. While you can edit any special to a particular slant there were hundreds of interviews from many people and countries that were involved. I take exception to the title as Ken Burns has in fact done with prior specials on the civil war, dust bowl, baseball, but I'm sure anyone can find fault depending on their opinion.

One of the first Vietnam veterans shown that he interviewed states " I hated the Vietnamese". Of 2 million in country veterans he chooses this ones feelings to set the tone for his Documentary.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues