Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:16 AM

948 posts, read 3,356,385 times

Advertisements

We've got a possible move there but I'd like to get more intel first. I've got two IEP kids so schools are one of my main concerns. What are the DOD schools like?

My other looming concern is the radiation from Japan and the impact on the food. Also wondering if you went with kids, how did they feel about the area? Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 10:02 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
My wife and me travelled to Seoul to visit our son. It was a great trip for us, we totally loved it. Now, we did not measure radiation, nor lived there long enough to experience what a local life truly is. But we liked it as tourists. It's a very safe country from crime perspective.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:27 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
We've got a possible move there but I'd like to get more intel first. I've got two IEP kids so schools are one of my main concerns. What are the DOD schools like?

My other looming concern is the radiation from Japan and the impact on the food. Also wondering if you went with kids, how did they feel about the area? Thanks for any input!
Part two first. Radiation from Japan's reactor issue is not a problem. The prevailing winds brought the trouble east not west. Korea is west of Japan.

As far as DOD schools go I cannot answer as I have not had children in them and the last time I was in the army and in Seoul was before I got married. However I can tell you that you can make living there as enjoyable or as miserable as you want. I personally have the time of my life every time my family and I go there. My wife is from Korea. We married in 1980. We left Korea in 1982 after our daughter was born. The next time we went to S. Korea was 2015 when we attended a family wedding. Korea is a wonderful country. They mostly like Americans and if you speak some Korean words to say order food or buy stuff and services you get treated like you are good friends. They teach English in school so a good portion of the population does speak some broken English.

My daughter and I got into a random cab when we were there in 2015 and the driver conversed with us about many things. I know some Korean but not enough to carry out a conversation in it. But with our combined skills (driver and I) we had a wonderful talk about Seoul in particular. Where I wanted to go was to the point where my wife and I first met in 1977. The spot and building where I first laid eyes on her was still there as a museum (it was city hall). The new city hall is just behind it but this building was still there. I did wish my wife had come but..... she was getting her hair done for the wedding (LOL she had higher priorities).

Old 08-08-2017, 08:38 PM

245 posts, read 311,233 times
I'd be more concerned about the fact that North Korea and the US are closer to actually starting a war than we've been in decades.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:33 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
I'd be more concerned about the fact that North Korea and the US are closer to actually starting a war than we've been in decades.
Don't think I'd like to have an accompanied tour to S. Korea - I'd leave the family behind and go unaccompanied.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:18 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:

I had two unaccompanied one year tours in Korea, 1972 and 1984. I was also on brief Temporary Duty (TDY) to Korea four to eight times per year from 1984 to 1989. I would go back again given the opportunity. Accompanied tours there seem to be enjoyed by everyone I have met.

My wife was a teacher's aid during our tour to Germany. She and our two kids enjoyed it and still remember it after all of these years.

Sorry, I do not have current info to provide. But looking back we all have fond memories of those tours. We are still in contact with some of the families we met 30+ years ago.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:19 AM

948 posts, read 3,356,385 times
Default But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Don't think I'd like to have an accompanied tour to S. Korea - I'd leave the family behind and go unaccompanied.
Hasn't the Korean border always been the most heavily amassed border in the world for decades?

Old 08-09-2017, 11:03 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Hasn't the Korean border always been the most heavily amassed border in the world for decades?
the nuclear threat hasn't been this threatening for decades - really just this past year it has become a real threat, and it sounds like the US POTUS has threatened fire, fury power against N. Korea - having American civilians sitting 30 miles from nuclear holocaust doesn't sound like a good thing - I'd keep my family east of Kansas right now.....

Old 08-09-2017, 11:25 AM

532 posts, read 446,298 times
Quote:

Courtesy of the Marines then the Army I have 2 unaccompanied tours of 6 mos, 2 exersizes of 6 weeks and one accompanied tour of 2 years extended to 2/1/2 years. so 4 times in the 1980s , last tour 2004.

1. Radiation and food - not sure about that but if you live in Seoul there is pollution from vehicles. Ocassionally there are interesting "yellow cloud" dust storms blowing over from Japan. Maybe not the best if any of your family have asthma. Eat like a native they seem to be fairly lean and healthy!

2. DOD schools - I like how the entire K through 12 was located in one area, bottom of the hill k top of the hill the high school. My daughter started kindergarten there (Camp Yongsan, Seoul Korea). You will need "Command sponsorship" for family to accompany the service member, as part of the process of obtaining orders they will screen your children to see if they can accomodate any special needs ,not sure if IEP will disqualify? We always tried for DOD schools when we could.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:34 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
We have friends not at Seoul, but Busan, with kids. Husband has been stationed there, too, but pre-kids. It can be tough to be approved for accompanied orders to Korea in general, currently, with kids if EFMP, depending on specific special needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues