Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 05:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,600 times

Advertisements

I served two enlistments. One four year, and then I signed a contract for a 3.5 year enlistment. A month before I was supposed to separate, I failed a drug test. Had an addiction for four years but I won't go into detail.

So I'm getting an OTH. I've read many things online saying that if you served two enlistments, you can still qualify for the GI bill. The problem is, I'm only getting one DD214 and it will say OTH. I don't have any proof of my first enlistment being "honorable". I never received a certificate claiming it was honorable, and I never received a DD214 from my first enlistment because I didn't separate and then re enlist. I just signed a new contract and continued my service.

I am wondering, has anyone else here been in that situation and was able to qualify for the GI bill? The VA representative on my base says I can still qualify for medical claims related to my first enlistment but he doesn't know the full stipulations of the education benefits. Thank you for anyone who can help me with clarifying this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 10:35 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
You should have had a DD-214 from your first reenlistment, whether you had a break in service or not. I served two enlistments and got a DD-214 for each one. I did not have a break in service. This was for six years in the Marine Corps.

As for the GI Bill, my wife has a relative that received a General Discharge. He is not eligible for the GI Bill. You really need an Honorable Discharge.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
For almost all benefits, you need a contract period that ended under Honorable Conditions to receive benefits. However, as mentioned, the GI Bill requires the last contract period to be an Honorable Discharge only. There is an exceptions that applies to the GI Bill for non Honorable Discharges and all other VA benefits for any disqualifying discharge if the disqualifying separation type was the result of a mental deficiency. You will have to apply for a VA Eligibility Determination hearing so seek the advice of a qualified adviser before proceeding.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:34 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
I agree with Rabrrita.

You can get a copy of your first dd214 by application. Go here https://www.archives.gov/veterans/mi...ervice-records or if you are close to a VSR (Veteran Services Representative) they can get it for you. As for the OTH you can get that reversed as well but you will have to apply to get it re-characterized. Your VSO would be the best place to start. https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/vso-search or https://nvf.org/veteran-service-officers/. I suggest the first one as it will be a valuable site for other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues