U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 04:16 AM

25,622 posts, read 21,510,681 times

Advertisements

good info - odd that OP hasn't posted again - but maybe the thread will be handy for another Soldier leaving the service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 06:25 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,695,570 times
To the OP, thank you for your service. I did the same thing that you are planning, only mine was in the 70"s. I attended the Univ. of Maryland, had no family at all on the east coast. I was accepted for the next term, I found a job working nights and found a studio apt that the landlady let me slide until I got my first paycheck, you'll never know until you ask, she was nice enough and being a veteran she had no problem. I worked at my job and attended school during the day, it was a challenge, but you have to do what is needed, one thing the military taught me was to never leave something half done. Took me 4 and a half year to get my degree (Electronic Engineering). What was nice is I worked for an electronics company in Beltsville, MD., they offered me an engineering position after I graduated. I turned it down, and returned to the west coast, there I got a job with Motorola International as a communication design engineer, the job was awesome, I got to see a lot of the Pacific Rim area.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:27 PM

3 posts, read 1,015 times
Hello, first post in this forum, and this thread seems perfect for me. I have 1.5 years left in my Navy contract and I want to be proactive in school hunting and planning.

I, like the OP, also want to go to another city. I see a lot of people posting here about support networks and such and going back to our hometowns being the more prudent choice, but you have to understand, while many of us do join for patriotic duty and service, one of the major reasons for anyone to leave everything they’ve know their whole lives and enlist in a service that will take them as far as possible from a normal life, is just that, we wanted to leave home and this was the easiest way too.

I never intended to be a lifer, and I have no issues with people that are doing 20, I would too if I loved it, but the simple fact is that I like the navy enough to finish out my contract. Nothing more. I made a 4 year promise of service, and they made me a 4 year promise of salary and then an additional 4 years of FREE schooling. So I’m gonna take it.

Anyways, I’m in a slightly different boat, I already have an associates degree, prior my enlistment, so I would have to be a transfer student. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, as my name might imply I have no desires to ever live in the suburbs again. So if anyone knows a good list of “city located” colleges and university’s please link me.

Thank you!

Old 10-03-2017, 09:37 PM

7,555 posts, read 8,122,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBurb View Post
I see a lot of people posting here about support networks and such and going back to our hometowns being the more prudent choice, but you have to understand, while many of us do join for patriotic duty and service, one of the major reasons for anyone to leave everything they’ve know their whole lives and enlist in a service that will take them as far as possible from a normal life, is just that, we wanted to leave home and this was the easiest way too.
I belive you misunderstood the responses.

The OP had no money saved up to start a life elsewhere and was hoping their educational benefits could serve as seed money. Like everything in life, there are processes and procedures. Knowing the processes and procedure before you commit the funds is just pure common senses. Thousands of Veterans are discharged who immediately move to an area they have never been, know nobody, and have no connections. Many integrate into their new life rather easily. But you can not (be it a Veteran or not) expect some form of program that pays money to operate at your beck and call. If it takes a month for funds to be distributed, you need to plan for that month. If it takes two or three months, you have to plan for those two or three months. Knowing how it works is what needs to be done before the funds are spent.

So, by all means go where you want and don't worry about connections. Just know that if you expect money from the Government, you had better know when that faucet will be turned on.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:17 PM

3,630 posts, read 5,431,060 times
Quote:
Hello, first post in this forum, and this thread seems perfect for me. I have 1.5 years left in my Navy contract and I want to be proactive in school hunting and planning.

I, like the OP, also want to go to another city. I see a lot of people posting here about support networks and such and going back to our hometowns being the more prudent choice, but you have to understand, while many of us do join for patriotic duty and service, one of the major reasons for anyone to leave everything they’ve know their whole lives and enlist in a service that will take them as far as possible from a normal life, is just that, we wanted to leave home and this was the easiest way too.

I never intended to be a lifer, and I have no issues with people that are doing 20, I would too if I loved it, but the simple fact is that I like the navy enough to finish out my contract. Nothing more. I made a 4 year promise of service, and they made me a 4 year promise of salary and then an additional 4 years of FREE schooling. So I’m gonna take it.

Anyways, I’m in a slightly different boat, I already have an associates degree, prior my enlistment, so I would have to be a transfer student. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, as my name might imply I have no desires to ever live in the suburbs again. So if anyone knows a good list of “city located” colleges and university’s please link me.

Thank you!
I agree with Rabrrita that your situation is different than the OP.

I got out of the navy and moved to las vegas without a job or apt lined up. That's a city that you can easily move to and get set up quickly without breaking the bank. UNLV is there and the city is booming for nightlife.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 1,015 times
My bad, I didn’t see the differences in our situations. I also didn’t want to start a new thread.

SVTLightniing, any tips for a move like that? I’m currently thinking about San Diego or Atlanta.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:50 AM

3,630 posts, read 5,431,060 times
Quote:
My bad, I didn’t see the differences in our situations. I also didn’t want to start a new thread.

SVTLightniing, any tips for a move like that? I’m currently thinking about San Diego or Atlanta.
I think the choices between those depend on what your priorities are.

I loved Vegas after being in the navy. They have plenty of jobs for people who want to work and being a Vet helped with most jobs I landed. They had a good night life there and I wanted to meet girls of course lol

Flights in and out are cheap also!

If you have no ties to any of your choices I would just evaluate what you want and where you want to be in a few years.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:25 PM

125 posts, read 213,590 times
You do not start seeing any money until about 1-2 months AFTER school starts. Meaning 2 months after the first day of class. You are responsible for covering the payments for rent, books and tuition. I was in a similar situation with the exception that I separated to my home town and was from IL which also had the IL Veteran's grant of free tuition to any state school. Thought it was a solid plan as basically the GI bill would cover rent and books. Unfortunately I separated in May and school did not start until September.

I applied for unemployment as soon as I got there and it was relatively easy to get approved since I separated as an E-5 with about 10 years and there were no jobs close to paying what I made. Unfortunately I did not know how unemployment worked and got a part time job thinking unemployment would cover what the difference, nope. So went from getting around $1300/month on unemployment to making like $300 with a part time job. Getting back on unemployment required a hearing and whatnot and took like 3 months which I didn't have. This was around mid-July. By the time September came around I was so far in debt I was heading back to see the recruiter. Ironically enough got the first check from the GI bill around the end of September or beginning of October, about the same week I shipped out to MEPs again, ha.

Also, I am in Vegas now and retired here after doing my 20 in the military. Wanted to go back to San Diego but is waay too pricey there and I retired right around the market crash so got a pretty good deal on a house in Vegas. Not a bad area, but prices are going up now. That said there are a lot of jobs here as long as you don't get sucked into the vices (drugs, too much gambling, drinking, etc). I detest the cold and 8 months of winter in IL sucks ass, plus do not miss having no bugs out here in Vegas haha. I can deal with the triple digits for the summer months. 3 words I do not miss out of my vocabulary wind..chill..factor.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:57 PM
PFM

82 posts, read 80,144 times
All of you that were military have to realize that the VA operates in exactly the same manner as DoD - Uncle Sugar will always pay in a manner that benefits Uncle Sugar, not you. Any payments are made the following month after you did the time - for example, if your semester begins 28 August, 01 September or so you will receive a deposit for exactly 4 days of BAH. You won't receive the BAH equivalent for September until 01 October, etc. Uncle Sam didn't cut you a break when dealing with military finance, and doesn't when dealing with the VA. Anticipate it, plan for it, and secure a way to survive until the money kicks in. That's just the way it is.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:01 AM

84 posts, read 55,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpitcher View Post
So I'm currently in the process of transitioning out of the army unexpectedly with an honorable discharge and full GI bill benefits. The college I want to go to is in Oklahoma and I have no friends or family there, basically moving to a new place by myself. I have no savings and barely any time to save enough money to survive somewhere new by myself til I get the gi bill money. I keep hearing it takes two months from when you start school to receive housing allowances and sometimes even tuition. Is this true? If so how am I supposed to get an apartment and pay tuition with no job or a quick part time job while I wait? It's like they expect us to work full time while going to school full time with how long it takes to receive the benefits I'm entitled to. I understand it's the VA and blah blah blah. But what am I supposed to do? Kind of freaking out here and would love some information and guidance. Only thing I could think of is either going to school online or going to a community college back home where I can get a part time job and make my way but then I will waste my GI bill on that instead of the school I ultimately want to go to in the end. If I want to enroll in the school in Oklahoma for January what should I do now to get my benefits before I leave the military?
Its not bad! I had 60 days of transition leave and my separation date was 5 January 2017. I started school two weeks later overseas and I had my first GI Bill payment in March. Just ensure you are in contact with the VA rep at your school and if it not too late try saving some money before you separate, it definitely makes a difference. Luckily the school understood the situation and I didn't have to pay anything so maybe your school will also be understanding. I got home, got a visa, and flew back overseas within one month of landing...if I could do that then you'll be good! if you have any questions about anything let me know but I think the answers here were good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues