U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 06:00 PM

862 posts, read 799,189 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer - I do not nor do I know anyone personally who suffers from PTSD

I was just walking my family around my usually quiet neighborhood when I hear a lot of yelling (thought it was just typical internal family drama). Yelling was pretty bad - all the curse words you can think of. We will call the person yelling "guy A". 2minutes later I see 5 police trucks speed in armed with assault rifles. Eventually they went to the house with the loud noises and arrested guy A on the ground.

I asked a neighbor of his (just a couple houses down) what happened. He said he's not 100% sure but the guy A's 5 kids ran into in house asking for help. Neighbor mentioned this is not the first time guy A has had issues. Last week a bunch of paramedics were rushed there (no police). Guy A is ex-military and suffers from PTSD and often gets professional treatment. Also mentions since guy A is ex-military he has a lot of weapons.

I'm unfamiliar with PTSD. What could of happened? What is he going through? How does PTSD affect your day to day life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 07:27 PM

22,893 posts, read 34,734,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
I'm unfamiliar with PTSD. What could of happened? What is he going through? How does PTSD affect your day to day life?
I know, and have met several people with PTSD. There is not a simple answer. You might read this brief explanation from the University of Maryland Medical Center: Post-traumatic stress disorder | University of Maryland Medical Center

Also, a lengthy thread here on city-data about PTSD: Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-15-2017 at 09:40 PM..

Old 09-15-2017, 09:18 AM

509 posts, read 284,941 times
Quote:
Guy A is ex-military and suffers from PTSD and often gets professional treatment. Also mentions since guy A is ex-military he has a lot of weapons.

I'm going to try to be gentle here.

The way you write this is a stereotype, intentional or not. If the guy has multiple firearms, then say it that way. Not "SINCE" he is a veteran.

Type "PTSD" in your internet search engine and start reading.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:29 PM

51 posts, read 15,249 times
87% of the people that claim they were military and have bad "PTSD" have either never been in the military, were in the military but never deployed, deployed and spent their entire tour chowing on ice cream and watching AFN, or just claim "PTSD" for the disability dollars. OMG a 107 landed on the airfield-another scoop of chocolate? Some even get treated for it.

Of the remaining 13%, 10% may have actually been in the military and may have actually seen some stuff.

3% remaining, maybe 2% of those have seen stuff and have been treated for real "PTSD".

<1% may be that random one off dude that goes without help.

OP, what is "a lot of weapons."? According to some major news sources, a dude with a BB gun and a steak knife is a crazed murdered with a hidden "arsenal" of weapons. Thanks for continuing the hysteria.

"PTSD" is not a blanket excuse to run around acting like a knucklehead.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:17 PM

24,871 posts, read 20,944,170 times
Quote:

There are psych subforums on CDF. PTSD isn't a military only malady - folks in all walks of life can get it from any number of threatening life events.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/psychology/

Old 09-16-2017, 02:25 PM

8,714 posts, read 13,635,427 times
No one is going to try and diagnose someone based on your post. It would also be pointless to speculate about the cause if he does have PTSD.

It is a topic that is easy enough to research online without asking for speculation.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:42 PM

1,821 posts, read 570,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
87% of the people that claim they were military and have bad "PTSD" have either never been in the military, were in the military but never deployed, deployed and spent their entire tour chowing on ice cream and watching AFN, or just claim "PTSD" for the disability dollars. OMG a 107 landed on the airfield-another scoop of chocolate? Some even get treated for it.

Of the remaining 13%, 10% may have actually been in the military and may have actually seen some stuff.

3% remaining, maybe 2% of those have seen stuff and have been treated for real "PTSD".

<1% may be that random one off dude that goes without help.

OP, what is "a lot of weapons."? According to some major news sources, a dude with a BB gun and a steak knife is a crazed murdered with a hidden "arsenal" of weapons. Thanks for continuing the hysteria.

"PTSD" is not a blanket excuse to run around acting like a knucklehead.
100% Truth right here.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:19 PM

27,914 posts, read 15,163,314 times
Quote:
Disclaimer - I do not nor do I know anyone personally who suffers from PTSD

I was just walking my family around my usually quiet neighborhood when I hear a lot of yelling (thought it was just typical internal family drama). Yelling was pretty bad - all the curse words you can think of. We will call the person yelling "guy A". 2minutes later I see 5 police trucks speed in armed with assault rifles. Eventually they went to the house with the loud noises and arrested guy A on the ground.

I asked a neighbor of his (just a couple houses down) what happened. He said he's not 100% sure but the guy A's 5 kids ran into in house asking for help. Neighbor mentioned this is not the first time guy A has had issues. Last week a bunch of paramedics were rushed there (no police). Guy A is ex-military and suffers from PTSD and often gets professional treatment. Also mentions since guy A is ex-military he has a lot of weapons.

Individuals with PTSD are not dangerous. Although PTSD is associated with an increased risk of violence, the majority of Veterans and non-Veterans with PTSD have never engaged in violence. When other factors like alcohol and drug misuse, additional psychiatric disorders, or younger age are considered, the association between PTSD and violence is decreased.

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional...d_violence.asp

Old 09-28-2017, 05:53 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,044,095 times
PTSD takes on different forms based upon personal experiences and the psyche of the individual. You could have a group go through the same combat experience but all will have different reactions. Some will develop more defined PTSD symptoms while other may not show any signs.

My personal belief is those veterans with PTSD who have become a problem for family and local police have become a problem due to self medicating (drugs and alcohol).

Old 09-29-2017, 09:41 AM

27,777 posts, read 43,636,318 times
There is a wide spectrum of PTSD and how people deal with it.

My parents were physically abusive and I had nightmares until I was in my 40s [long after I had retired from 20-years of Active Duty], it all depends on how your brain handles it.

I have been on subs during floodings, fires and one at-sea collision, none of which gave me nightmares. Though I served with men who said that the at-sea collision gave them nightmares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues