U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-15-2017, 10:04 AM
 
46 posts, read 39,597 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

I am a permanent resident of USA and will soon be a citizen. I am considering joining ANG; I assume that it would give me options to continue to be with my family and also give me satisfaction of joining a force. However I visit my home country once a month, every year.
I have 3 questions
a) Will I be able to take a month vacation away from USA every year? b) How can I transfer myself to a different state if my profession takes me elsewhere? c) What would be my joining designation & salary? Is it dependent on my education and age? I am 35 yr old & have more than 15 years of IT experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2017, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,100 posts, read 3,690,994 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond31 View Post
I am a permanent resident of USA and will soon be a citizen. I am considering joining ANG; I assume that it would give me options to continue to be with my family and also give me satisfaction of joining a force. However I visit my home country once a month, every year.
I have 3 questions
a) Will I be able to take a month vacation away from USA every year? b) How can I transfer myself to a different state if my profession takes me elsewhere? c) What would be my joining designation & salary? Is it dependent on my education and age? I am 35 yr old & have more than 15 years of IT experience.
Your are pushing the age limit so you will need to get started. The IT experience will help you in your advanced individual training. As a member of the Air National Guard you will be able to take vacations but you will need to let your unit know ahead of any trip you take out of the country. This is less of a problem today with cell phones but could be a problem if your former home country is North Korea or a number of other hostile countries. Transferring to another state if you are transferred by your employer is doable but you will need to do the leg work finding a unit in the new state. Be aware you might have to work with your unit for a time while in transition. By that I mean you might need to continue to drill with your current unit until you find a spot and that will require you to travel back and forth. Some soldiers can get permission to do SUTA (split unit training assemblies) and combined with annual training could keep you going back and forth often until the transfer. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 05:02 PM
 
46 posts, read 39,597 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Your are pushing the age limit so you will need to get started. The IT experience will help you in your advanced individual training. As a member of the Air National Guard you will be able to take vacations but you will need to let your unit know ahead of any trip you take out of the country. This is less of a problem today with cell phones but could be a problem if your former home country is North Korea or a number of other hostile countries. Transferring to another state if you are transferred by your employer is doable but you will need to do the leg work finding a unit in the new state. Be aware you might have to work with your unit for a time while in transition. By that I mean you might need to continue to drill with your current unit until you find a spot and that will require you to travel back and forth. Some soldiers can get permission to do SUTA (split unit training assemblies) and combined with annual training could keep you going back and forth often until the transfer. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2017, 12:46 PM
 
513 posts, read 199,066 times
Reputation: 1188
If you are college educated trying to go in as an officer is an option too.

Typically most units have monthly training weekends which you know ahead of time for the year so planning vacation around them is pretty easy. If you need vacation over a training weekend you would need to talk it over with your command.

However, some deployments are known well in advance and can easily be planned around others, not so much. Just be flexible and I'm sure you will be fine. Its nothing too demanding or burdensome where people can't easily accommodate it.

The only issues you may have is like, trying to visit Iran on your time off. To be in the guard you will almost certainly have a background check and if you associate with potentially hostile nations it will be scrutinized.

But your age is getting near the upper limit, so time is ticking!

For the record, its a great decision and wish you the best. Go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2017, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,100 posts, read 3,690,994 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
If you are college educated trying to go in as an officer is an option too.

Typically most units have monthly training weekends which you know ahead of time for the year so planning vacation around them is pretty easy. If you need vacation over a training weekend you would need to talk it over with your command.

However, some deployments are known well in advance and can easily be planned around others, not so much. Just be flexible and I'm sure you will be fine. Its nothing too demanding or burdensome where people can't easily accommodate it.

The only issues you may have is like, trying to visit Iran on your time off. To be in the guard you will almost certainly have a background check and if you associate with potentially hostile nations it will be scrutinized.

But your age is getting near the upper limit, so time is ticking!

For the record, its a great decision and wish you the best. Go for it.
agree with everything you say here. I loved the guard. Only issue I see short of deployments are the state active duty assignments due to inclement weather in a lot of places. Since we do not know which state OP is from or thinking on joining I cannot help determine if there will be a lot of that. I wanted to give you a rep but I just gave you one not long ago. Stupid system. LOL Great post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 06:35 PM
 
8,661 posts, read 5,889,578 times
Reputation: 14766
Army Guard is a lot different from Air Guard. First thing is to talk to a recruiter and see if your home nation is going to be a problem. Next ensure you can pass the ASVAB with scores to get a job that you want. btw, each unit has their own recruiters. Google your closest unit and call the phone number. You'll get an option to pick to speak to a recruiter.

If you have a decent supervisor and you have excellent attendance, you may be able to do some make-up drills/UTAs to enable you to travel and miss a month. You can't miss more than 5 UTA periods which is only 2-1/2 days.

To get you have to give so be sure you take care of all your requirements. (required training/correspondence courses, attendance, fitness) Be a superstar and you'll be more likely to get what you ask for. Keep a good attitude. No matter how good you think you are, be humble. Fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2017, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA, USA
707 posts, read 323,552 times
Reputation: 1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond31 View Post
I am a permanent resident of USA and will soon be a citizen. I am considering joining ANG; I assume that it would give me options to continue to be with my family and also give me satisfaction of joining a force. However I visit my home country once a month, every year.
I have 3 questions
a) Will I be able to take a month vacation away from USA every year? b) How can I transfer myself to a different state if my profession takes me elsewhere? c) What would be my joining designation & salary? Is it dependent on my education and age? I am 35 yr old & have more than 15 years of IT experience.
You should think about one of the Reserve Forces as well:

Air Force Reserve
Army Reserve
Navy Reserve
USMC Reserve
Coast Guard Reserve

If no one has mentioned it, you need to speak to a recruiter sooner than later. See the following:

Guard and Reserve Frequently Asked Questions | Military.com

You are on the right track. Good luck with your
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top