U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2017, 08:13 AM
 
280 posts, read 142,117 times
Reputation: 681

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Let's see...how many of these incidents turned out to be hoaxes? Right.
Kids, whether college students or cadets, have too much time on their hands today.
I don't think you have any idea about what life is like at the Air Force Academy nor the prep school. It is no where near what college life is like in a civilian institution. While the prep school personnel do have more time on their hands than the cadets, it still could no way be considered "too much time on their hands."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This might be something not attacked quickly enough in the Academy prep school. The Air Force has a tendency of operating under the "fine young gentlemen" point of view.

I've told this story before, of my first day after taking the Oath in the early 70s, only a short time after the Travis AFB riot:

Our TI was Sgt Jimmy Weeks, a guy from South Carolina who was built like a 180-pound bulldog and talked out of the side of his mouth in a thick Southern drawl.

We'd had a long, long first day, but before putting us to bed, he sat us down on the floor of the dayroom for a last briefing.

"One thing we ain't gonna have in this flight is racial trouble.
The reason we ain't gonna have no racial trouble is because you ain't got no reason to have no racial trouble.
The reason you ain't no reason to have no racial trouble is because you're all the same color, namely green.
You all got the same hair, namely none.
You all got the same daddy, namely me.
And you all got the same wants and desires, namely to get the @$&*#^% out of here."

I think the Air Force is probably tardy giving that speech to the "fine young gentlemen" at the Academy prep school.
No. In fact that speech was definitely given day one, and repeatedly given throughout the year in their military training classes. There are mandatory training requirements for Equal Opportunity(EO) training and normally you receive the training about 10 times as much as the regulations require.

However, I woudn't discount the possibility that a heart to heart talk vs. the current EO training would be more effective. In my opinion, receiving the training as often as we did had the effect of having everyone tune out the training at that age. Especially when training like this was computer based training where everyone hit "NEXT" as fast as they could to get through the training. I have no idea how they are receiving the training nor how effective it is there today, but I can guarantee they are receiving it.

Personally I think this was most likely one or a small group of prep-school cadets that are disgruntled because they are not-preforming well or meeting standards and they have to have something to blame because it couldn't possibly be their own performance that is the problem. If caught, the Academy should immediately dismiss them sending a message that racism (and in fact any form of discrimination) will not be tolerated in the Air Force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2017, 07:01 PM
 
14 posts, read 1,366 times
Reputation: 27
He came across as showboating and grandstanding. Its dog and pony show from a 3 star bucking for his next career move. Given today's news and the environment, they will eat this up. He will be CNN adviser in no time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
3,614 posts, read 3,166,962 times
Reputation: 4166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
<>Kids, whether college students or cadets, have too much time on their hands today.
I assure you, the cadets at the military academies have very little free time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 07:30 PM
 
15,153 posts, read 7,555,780 times
Reputation: 14150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbub88 View Post
He came across as showboating and grandstanding. Its dog and pony show from a 3 star bucking for his next career move. Given today's news and the environment, they will eat this up. He will be CNN adviser in no time.
No, it's called "getting out in front," and it's a necessary thing for commanders to do. It sets the tone. It gives backing for his subordinate leaders to kick azz knowing they'll be supported from above.

It means, for instance, that there will be no argument from above when a subordinate leader wants to kick someone out for this reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 07:32 PM
 
14 posts, read 1,366 times
Reputation: 27
Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, it's called "getting out in front," and it's a necessary thing for commanders to do. It sets the tone. It gives backing for his subordinate leaders to kick azz knowing they'll be supported from above.
I am sure your former military, like me. That is not "getting out in front" when you add in all the cameras and news. Sorry it was grandstanding and showboating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
11,970 posts, read 39,074,326 times
Reputation: 9132
I like his speech, but his advice to "get the Hell out" - not sure how that would work if someone is already a cadet and has incurred an obligation to serve. Not many have the financial resources to pay cash for the education they have already received.

But I think he said what needed saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2017, 07:40 PM
 
15,153 posts, read 7,555,780 times
Reputation: 14150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbub88 View Post
I am sure your former military, like me. That is not "getting out in front" when you add in all the cameras and news. Sorry it was grandstanding and showboating.
It needed saying, and it needed saying loudly and publicly. This would have been a thorn that festered in his side otherwise if it at all looked like he was ignoring it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
11,970 posts, read 39,074,326 times
Reputation: 9132
Having thought some more about this - if the writings that put all this in motion were at the "feeder" high school, and not the academy - high schoolers will write things on the wall meant just to shock, and you shouldn't read any more into them. They will scrawl the "F-word" as well, and it does not mean anything at all, except that they know that word, and they know it sets adults off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
3,940 posts, read 3,578,951 times
Reputation: 4546
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Having thought some more about this - if the writings that put all this in motion were at the "feeder" high school, and not the academy - high schoolers will write things on the wall meant just to shock, and you shouldn't read any more into them. They will scrawl the "F-word" as well, and it does not mean anything at all, except that they know that word, and they know it sets adults off.
I disagree with this entirely. It shows a lack of care for what adults think. I think is probably something that they (if it was more than one) are getting from living at home. The apple rarely falls far from the tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:58 AM
 
15,153 posts, read 7,555,780 times
Reputation: 14150
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Having thought some more about this - if the writings that put all this in motion were at the "feeder" high school, and not the academy - high schoolers will write things on the wall meant just to shock, and you shouldn't read any more into them. They will scrawl the "F-word" as well, and it does not mean anything at all, except that they know that word, and they know it sets adults off.
It's not a "feeder high school." The "cadet candidates" at the prep school are Air Force enlisted members who have applied for the Academy and just missed appointment or selected civilian high school graduates who had also applied and just missed appointment to the Academy.


So the prep school is more closely analogous to a remedial junior college (although that implication is probably unfair--these are actually high-performance people).


I'd like to know, however, the proportion of Air Force enlisted to civilian applicants at the prep school, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top