U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:09 PM

26,053 posts, read 21,864,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbub88 View Post
I am sure your former military, like me. That is not "getting out in front" when you add in all the cameras and news. Sorry it was grandstanding and showboating.
he had an audience in the White House that he did that for....these are the types of issues that gets a General Officer relieved of command he damn better get out in front of everyone and lead the way and not leave it to his underlings alone to snuff this problem out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 01:59 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,124,655 times
It's just as likely this is a hoax.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:07 PM

493 posts, read 152,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
It's more than likely this is a hoax.

My version.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:01 PM

26,053 posts, read 21,864,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
It's just as likely this is a hoax.
could be - would you just have ignored that it actually happened? would you have punished those who reported it? I can tell you those two courses of action would probably backfire on you.....

Old 10-06-2017, 04:50 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,124,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
could be - would you just have ignored that it actually happened? would you have punished those who reported it? I can tell you those two courses of action would probably backfire on you.....

No. I would have done what the general did.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:56 AM

29 posts, read 5,495 times
Update. Go to CNN for the update. Turns out a black student wrote the remarks. Now the general needs to provide a grand stand apology.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:17 AM

5,927 posts, read 4,929,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbub88 View Post
Update. Go to CNN for the update. Turns out a black student wrote the remarks. Now the general needs to provide a grand stand apology.
Yep.

Quote:
But on Tuesday, Air Force Academy officials said that one of the black cadet candidates actually wrote the racist messages.

"We can confirm that one of the cadet candidates who was allegedly targeted by racist remarks written outside their dorm room was actually responsible for the act," the Academy said in a written statement. "The individual admitted responsibility and this was validated by the investigation."

The vandalism was written in black marker and said "Go home" with the N-word, according to CNN affiliate KRDO.
Lt. Col. Allen Herritage, director of public affairs with the Academy, said that the cadet responsible admitted his guilt when confronted.
Racist graffiti at Air Force Academy: A black cadet wrote it - CNN

Old 11-09-2017, 07:03 AM

15,510 posts, read 7,952,885 times
No apology needed--the sentiment and intent are true.

But the guy who did it should get the same penalty, regardless of race.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:22 AM

6,722 posts, read 3,905,360 times
No, no apology is needed from the General. What he said is no less true today. He didn't accuse EVERY cadet of being a racist, he just pointed out to those who are that it is unacceptable.

However. The student who made the false accusations needs to be identified. He needs to stand up to the Academy and to the public in general and explain himself. It is bad enough that the everyday racist actions of some people get swept under the rug. It is worst that the student has now fed into the false narrative that there is no racism - and that so many of the claims are false. He has done both the non-black and especially the black community a huge disservice and should be called on it.

He "cried wolf" and needs to publicly account for himself.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 11-09-2017 at 10:33 AM..

Old 11-09-2017, 01:46 PM

13,265 posts, read 14,570,491 times
I am very jaded about all these racist graffiti and vandalism, nooses, etc. but I don't think the General needs to apologize one iota for his speech or its content. Everything he said was true and valid regardless of the veracity of the incident that precipitated it.

However, I think our leaders need to look at incidents like this far closer before jumping to conclusions and placing blame.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf is getting awfully hoarse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues