U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 02:06 PM

10,451 posts, read 10,322,695 times

Advertisements

Hell with that, apology needed, or better yet, another speech about this issue in that it was a hoax and will not be tolerated.

I hated stuff like this when I was in the Navy, dragging everyone out to preach at them because some idiot somewhere did something, as if I or anyone else had anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 03:38 PM

15,420 posts, read 7,820,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Hell with that, apology needed, or better yet, another speech about this issue in that it was a hoax and will not be tolerated.

I hated stuff like this when I was in the Navy, dragging everyone out to preach at them because some idiot somewhere did something, as if I or anyone else had anything to do with it.
What is then general going to say? That he didn't mean any of it? The general doesn't have to apologize, but that student is going to spend some time standing at attention while getting his butt reamed before being shown the door.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:02 PM

10,451 posts, read 10,322,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What is then general going to say? That he didn't mean any of it? The general doesn't have to apologize, but that student is going to spend some time standing at attention while getting his butt reamed before being shown the door.
The speech in my opinion was accusatory, it was made before an investigation was complete, and it ultimately was based on an event that did not concur the way he and the speech made it appear to have occurred. If there is evidence presented that he was going to make that speech irregardless of what happened, I will change my mind then.

What will he say? He can give the same speech except this time he can give it over the subject of making hoaxes like this, and jumping to conclusions before facts are in and investigations are complete, something students can apply to their future careers.

These things he did just irk me. I had an incident happen years ago that was similar to this, in that a sexual assault happened, all hands mustered for the CO to give a preach to everyone (on my day off no less), then find out it was all a hoax because she wanted to be transferred closer to home. Sure, what the CO said was no false, but it was based off of BS, and it was accusatory in nature.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
The speech in my opinion was accusatory, it was made before an investigation was complete, and it ultimately was based on an event that did not concur the way he and the speech made it appear to have occurred. If there is evidence presented that he was going to make that speech irregardless of what happened, I will change my mind then.

What will he say? He can give the same speech except this time he can give it over the subject of making hoaxes like this, and jumping to conclusions before facts are in and investigations are complete, something students can apply to their future careers.

These things he did just irk me. I had an incident happen years ago that was similar to this, in that a sexual assault happened, all hands mustered for the CO to give a preach to everyone (on my day off no less), then find out it was all a hoax because she wanted to be transferred closer to home. Sure, what the CO said was no false, but it was based off of BS, and it was accusatory in nature.
You're irked. So?

You know that when the issue hit the press, as the commander he had no choice but to get out in front of it. If he'd waited until now to say something strong, he would have sliced and diced and probably forced to step down by now.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:35 AM

23 posts, read 3,955 times
I cant believe what i am reading. This was very poor leadership. I am happy that I did not work for him. I did not escape scott free because I worked for enough leader practitioners.

As for the general, as stated before his initial action was very poor because of the cameras and accusation against the student body(His statements accused white students). As a result, since he embarrassed himself and most importantly the academy, he needs to apologize to his troops without the cameras and of course stop the grandstanding.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:52 AM

4,681 posts, read 5,267,819 times
The general did not have the personal courage to hold fire until he knew the facts. He feared the bad press and bad reactions from up his chain of command so he blasted out a (now embarrassing ly) inaccurate speech. He showed no leadership as an example for the future officers he is supposed to be developing.

If I were his evaluator, I would bottom block him although in the General Officer world he will be 'culled out' next promotion list

Old Today, 01:32 PM

473 posts, read 137,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
The general did not have the personal courage to hold fire until he knew the facts. He feared the bad press and bad reactions from up his chain of command so he blasted out a (now embarrassing ly) inaccurate speech. He showed no leadership as an example for the future officers he is supposed to be developing.

If I were his evaluator, I would bottom block him although in the General Officer world he will be 'culled out' next promotion list

General of the Service Academy is a terminal position anyway. He's not getting promoted or going to another job. He's out (happens 99% of the time at the service academies).

But he'll make a good democratic politician. That's my guess.

Old Today, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
General of the Service Academy is a terminal position anyway. He's not getting promoted or going to another job. He's out (happens 99% of the time at the service academies).

But he'll make a good democratic politician. That's my guess.

It's not as though three stars is a bad place to retire.

I give a wry eye to the news reports about officers at O-6 and above said to be "forced to retire early" and such silliness, as though 4 stars was to be expected of every officer.

Old Today, 03:17 PM

1,066 posts, read 609,744 times
Quote:
The speech in my opinion was accusatory, it was made before an investigation was complete..
Boxus,
Agreed.. the speech was both accusatory & slanderous. The message being, listen up ubiquitous White racists, you have no place @ the Air Force Academy. But the problem was, he was leveling premature (& ultimately wrong) accusations at innocent White students.

It was unfair, rash, virtue-signalling.. Like OldNorthState pointed out, the accuser didn't have the honor to let the facts come out bcuz of the contemporary hysteria to eradicate any perceived/potential White racism.
When will the administration deliver an accusatory lecture aimed unfairly at every potential hoaxster.. or did I miss that.

Old Today, 03:42 PM

It's the hit dog that hollers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues