U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 07:38 PM

5,817 posts, read 3,095,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Sounds like he's going to be scrubbing a lot of floors with a toothbrush for years. Serves him right.
I don't know if you are being literal or figurative. He is a commissioned officer and officers don't do manual labor, it is a point of pride among NCOs to point out that they "work for a living". The major plot point of The Bridge Over The River Kwai was the Japanese forcing officer prisoners to work. My division had standing orders that officers do not drive, much less scrub anything after their Cadet days. Now he might spend five years watching soldiers scrub pots and inspecting floors that those under punishment cleaned.

Last edited by Taiko; 10-04-2017 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 07:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 9,849,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Now he might spend five years watching soldiers scrub pots and inspecting floors that those under punishment cleaned.
Heh, yeah.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:59 PM

4,855 posts, read 2,152,571 times
He is ripe for a cabinet position. The extreme seem to be in.

He showed his cards..A bit premature or immature way to behave ..
His commander and the by laws will handle this.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:20 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,351,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
There is kind of a legal precedent. Thinking about this, did a google, found that Case Western medical school recently revoked a MD degree given to one of their students based on his conduct not his academics (turns out he was a good student, but totally unfit to be a doctor). I bet West Point is looking at the legal aspects of this very carefully.
When West Point issued only Bachelors of Military Sciences, they had the right to attach a military qualification standard to that degree which could have been used to void the degree. But, when they switched over to a straight Bachelor of Science, they had to remove the attachment for military qualifications standard. Since there is no moral, ethics, or philosophical requirement with the degree, they can technically only revoke the degree if the academic requirements were not actually met. Now, had the degree been for Military Science, or Theology, Medical, and maybe Law, they may have a case to revoke. To add, this pertains to degrees already issued. The accredited school (USMA is accredited by MSCHE) can set standards to be met to get the degree, but once issued a standard accredited Bachelors of Science can only be revoked if the academic standards were not met.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:01 PM

2,760 posts, read 1,214,346 times
Sad to see this one get through West Point. However, the military's spent a lot of money on this guy...and maybe there's something redeemable there. Maybe he should just get a better look at Communism in all it's grandeur. See some of the elements that threaten the country. There must be an opening somewhere at Guantanamo.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:01 PM

6,044 posts, read 3,637,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It could be tougher than you think. I see only two possible crimes here--and we have to be talking about crimes.

One is unauthorized political statement in uniform, a genuine violation of regulations. The problem of prosecuting this is that it happens frequently and rarely results in judicial punishment. That's an element for the defense.

The other is whether he lied about being a member of the Communist Party--if that question is even asked anymore. If he had answered that question, "No," then the prosecution still has to prove he's actually a registered member of the Communist Party...which he probably is not.

If that criminal prosecution fails, his command structure would be hampered from taking any other kind of action against him for those acts.

That's why I figure he's just going to get the maximum amount of jerking around he can get under an Article 15.
Yes, I know what you are saying. But in this case, an Article 15 just doesn't fit the case nor does it do the job.

The medical student whose MD was revoked was never charged with a crime. Lots of complaints but no criminal charges. It happened because of his conduct and attitude toward everyone, including patients. The resulting court case (which the university eventually won) also included discussions regarding professionalism which was interesting.

Sure, he could be assigned crap jobs for the next few years (his Army career is over anyway) but best believe that he will spend his off-duty hours spreading his filth every where and in any way he can. And if he is allowed to complete the 5 years and simply leave, he wins. An Article 15 won't mean anything to him. Nor would several later on.

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:40 PM
gg

16,947 posts, read 17,190,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
https://www.stripes.com/news/us/sen-...9#.WdU9bWiPK70

SEN Rubio's thoughts on the subject.
I would have to differ to this man's opinion on the matter. Wow, I am changing my view, but that is why we discuss things. If he is on the taxpayer's dime, dismiss him and save us some damn money! Get someone in there that wants to be in there!

Old 10-05-2017, 09:23 AM

394 posts, read 223,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
seems unfair to the taxpayer who financed his West Point education
Good point. Court-martial, bust him to Private (He should not be in a leadership position), time in the brig, require him to complete any service time obligations.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:35 AM

17,916 posts, read 9,849,196 times
Everyone here--including me--is reacting to vigorously to "Communist."

Back during the Cold War when I enlisted, there was a specific question: "Are you a member of the Communist Party?" Or maybe even then it was only a question for security clearances.

However, the Supreme Court made that question illegal for most public offices, and I don't know that the question is explicitly asked of everyone in the service today. I can't say off-hand if it's illegal today for a service member to be a registered member of Communist Party.

If that is the case, then the only legality is "political activity while in uniform"--and that could have been for any party, Democrat, Republican, Communist, whatever. Rarely does that result in court-martial.

And even then, "political activity while in uniform" may have a much more specific meaning in the courtroom than "posted a picture on Facebook wearing a tee-shirt under his uniform."

I don't think a general court-martial is going to happen for this.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:51 AM

24,138 posts, read 38,895,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Back during the Cold War when I enlisted, there was a specific question: "Are you a member of the Communist Party?" Or maybe even then it was only a question for security clearances.
I found it...

Attorney General's List of Subversive Organizations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attorn..._Organizations

"The list went through several revisions until President Richard M. Nixon abolished it in 1974"

The reference above does not show the last complete list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or