U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 11:27 AM

4,768 posts, read 2,599,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Everyone here--including me--is reacting to vigorously to "Communist."

Back during the Cold War when I enlisted, there was a specific question: "Are you a member of the Communist Party?" Or maybe even then it was only a question for security clearances.

However, the Supreme Court made that question illegal for most public offices, and I don't know that the question is explicitly asked of everyone in the service today. I can't say off-hand if it's illegal today for a service member to be a registered member of Communist Party.

If that is the case, then the only legality is "political activity while in uniform"--and that could have been for any party, Democrat, Republican, Communist, whatever. Rarely does that result in court-martial.

And even then, "political activity while in uniform" may have a much more specific meaning in the courtroom than "posted a picture on Facebook wearing a tee-shirt under his uniform."

I don't think a general court-martial is going to happen for this.
My concern is not that he is or is not a communist, I frankly could care less either way, but his open opposition to the Commander in Chief and support for Chelsea Manning. Being an infantry officer I am not sure if he would have access to many damaging files though and I do not know if he would consider himself anti-American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 12:33 PM

17,951 posts, read 9,863,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
My concern is not that he is or is not a communist, I frankly could care less either way, but his open opposition to the Commander in Chief and support for Chelsea Manning. Being an infantry officer I am not sure if he would have access to many damaging files though and I do not know if he would consider himself anti-American.
Once again, the issue in a court-martial will be: What specific law did he break? Did his action meet all the elements required for conviction? How have previous infractions of this nature been handled? Does every such infraction go to court-martial? If not, then what is legally more egregious about this one?

It's not going to court-martial unless the prosecutor's case is a slam-dunk according to the law, especially when it's already become a media event.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:44 PM

4,768 posts, read 2,599,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Once again, the issue in a court-martial will be: What specific law did he break? Did his action meet all the elements required for conviction? How have previous infractions of this nature been handled? Does every such infraction go to court-martial? If not, then what is legally more egregious about this one?

It's not going to court-martial unless the prosecutor's case is a slam-dunk according to the law, especially when it's already become a media event.
I was not disagreeing with what you said earlier. I really only see a possible small uniform violation and some weird comments.

I am not even sure why this thread is 11 pages, the communists have not really been our enemy since the fall of the Soviet Union. Now OPFOR in training is much different than the 80's.

He is young and thinks he knows it all. I have been there.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:42 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,101,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I was not disagreeing with what you said earlier. I really only see a possible small uniform violation and some weird comments.

I am not even sure why this thread is 11 pages, the communists have not really been our enemy since the fall of the Soviet Union. Now OPFOR in training is much different than the 80's.

He is young and thinks he knows it all. I have been there.
Message board posters tend to be older than on other types of social media. I guess that a large percentage of posters in this discussion are Vietnam War era to my era the end of the Cold War veterans when Communism was the big potential enemy.

But then the forces remain zero tolerance for officers and since he won't make the Captains list those Lieutenant jobs which are used to judge and lead will be reserved for someone out of ROTC or OCS who otherwise would have been stuck for 18 months only getting his chance on the second assignment

Old 10-05-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

But then the forces remain zero tolerance for officers and since he won't make the Captains list those Lieutenant jobs which are used to judge and lead will be reserved for someone out of ROTC or OCS who otherwise would have been stuck for 18 months only getting his chance on the second assignment
Heh, I recall a question at the bottom of the Marine Corps enlisted performance report. Regardless of what might have been written about the Marine in the upper portion of the report, there was this checkbox question at the bottom: "Would you go into combat with this Marine?"

Old 10-07-2017, 02:16 AM

27,798 posts, read 24,893,712 times
https://www.stripes.com/news/us/repo...0#.WdiMmWhSzIU

In documents obtained by the Daily Caller, Lt. Col. Robert M. Heffington, a professor at West Point, said he found the social media posts by 2nd Lt. Spenser Rapone, then a cadet, “extremely disturbing.” He noted at the time that one of Rapone’s posts said “(Expletive) this country and its fake freedom,” and others praised communism, marxism and Karl Marx.

“I cannot reconcile the image of a first class cadet at West Point with the things he has posted online for the world to see,” the lieutenant colonel said in a sworn statement. “To me, these are red flags that cannot be ignored, and I fail to see how this individual can possibly graduate and become a commissioned officer in six months.”

Old 10-11-2017, 03:39 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,893,712 times
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...-former-cadet/

West Point superintendent responds to outrage over pro-Communist former cadet

Old 10-11-2017, 07:43 PM
PFM

102 posts, read 101,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Young kid, maybe it was just a joke gone bad? Hard to say, but I don't think it will work out well for him. Kids do dumb stuff and he probably thought he was being funny.
Prior enlisted E-3 in the 75th Regiment in Afghanistan, attended USMAPS and graduated from West Point. No young kid who didn't know any better. Problem #2 for him is that as a West Point grad he is held to a higher standard by the Ring Knocker command mafia, and there is nothing that enrages them more than dishonoring the service and the academy. The First and only Commandment is Thou Shalt Not Dishonor Your Service - even before Country. I predict Article 15 and minimum 3 star LoR in his file. Minimum. Wouldn't be surprised to see it go to Court Martial.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:21 PM

21,528 posts, read 26,146,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...-former-cadet/

West Point superintendent responds to outrage over pro-Communist former cadet
The full letter:

http://www.usma.edu/news/Shared%20Do....%20Rapone.pdf

(Nick Dockery, mentioned in the letter:

Dockery receives Nininger Award: Heroic actions in battle lead to Nininger Award | PointerView.com | Proudly Serving West Point, NY | West Point News and Commentary )

Old 10-12-2017, 05:40 AM

The necessity of the superintendent having to respond in this way to this incident kind of leave me shaking my head.

There have been West Point graduates who have done far more serious things, including domestic rape and murder and combat war crimes. The superintendent has not had to respond to any of those things. Those things were immediately dismissed as the acts of one bad man.

But "Communist" is merely hitting a lot of emotion triggers, and in the long run, not even significant emotion triggers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or