U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 11:49 AM

18,483 posts, read 22,786,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The necessity of the superintendent having to respond in this way to this incident kind of leave me shaking my head.

There have been West Point graduates who have done far more serious things, including domestic rape and murder and combat war crimes. The superintendent has not had to respond to any of those things. Those things were immediately dismissed as the acts of one bad man.

But "Communist" is merely hitting a lot of emotion triggers, and in the long run, not even significant emotion triggers.
I think the question that grads have had was whether he should have even been allowed to graduate. The letter is in response to alumni concerns.

Sure, grads have committed crimes, and hopefully been punished for them.

It still seems to me that Rapone got his degree under false pretences, never intending to follow the rules of the service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 01:34 PM

11,909 posts, read 5,458,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think the question that grads have had was whether he should have even been allowed to graduate. The letter is in response to alumni concerns.

Sure, grads have committed crimes, and hopefully been punished for them.

It still seems to me that Rapone got his degree under false pretences, never intending to follow the rules of the service.

Not the first time this has been done. There are several instances of individuals going through advanced military training to get certain certifications (for free) only to then make some sort of claim that gets them booted from the service. When I was a lieutenant a student pilot went through training, received her wings, got through KC-135 tanker training, and then asserted that she was lesbian, well before the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. She had a commercial certificate, and instrument rating, and a multi-engine Boeing product type rating which she took to the airlines after she was removed from the military. Lesbian? Nope. Reformed, I guess. Fraudulent. Absolutely, but hard to prove, unless someone could show she was straight. Probably didn't care about the discharge since an officer doesn't receive a OOTH or dishonorable or BC discharge without a court-martial.

Most people who claimed to be gay/lesbian did so to get out of service. It's rare to see someone do so afterwards, but just before Desert Storm there were suddenly quite a few conscientious objectors, convenient pregnancies, and sexual orientation reversals.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:44 PM

4,669 posts, read 5,260,922 times
Given what little I really know, I assume a commander's investigation or Article 32 investigation is going on. So whatever comes out of that with the UCMJ as an offense (if so) would be what I would go for.

However, this officer showed poor judgement and was seeking trouble. So whatever the outcome is i hope it is severe. Officers just can't be that stupid and brazen and safely/successfully lead troops. No one opens their uniform at that occasion and officers should keep their ideology on their T shirt to themselves while in uniform.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:36 PM

10,441 posts, read 10,310,990 times
Legal issues aside, I would never place him over anyone, nor in any critical area. He would not have my confidence in his ability as a leader.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:08 AM

25,629 posts, read 21,519,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Given what little I really know, I assume a commander's investigation or Article 32 investigation is going on. So whatever comes out of that with the UCMJ as an offense (if so) would be what I would go for.

However, this officer showed poor judgement and was seeking trouble. So whatever the outcome is i hope it is severe. Officers just can't be that stupid and brazen and safely/successfully lead troops. No one opens their uniform at that occasion and officers should keep their ideology on their T shirt to themselves while in uniform.
Nauseating every time I see the pictures of him posing with his communist political sign or Che Guevara shirt under his uniform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues