Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 08:42 AM

8,082 posts, read 6,698,980 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my brother who is a retired Airforce veteran has ongoing psychiatric issues. He is currently inpatient for severe anxiety. He has had ongoing psychiatric problems since he left the military and has been treated by the VA ever since. I'm starting to question the level of care that he is getting there. Has anyone else had the same or different experience and what did you do to get outside help? I'm afraid that he is going to harm himself and appreciate any help. He is residing in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 11:02 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,280,750 times
You don't say where your brother is but if he is in WNC, I have never heard anything but good about the Asheville VA>. The VA elsewhere that I go to have been excellent. Am sure there are some not so good, but they really are pushing that "Choice" program to get into a civilian physician

If you fear for his well being and you fear harm, there is a hotline number that the VA will respond to immediately. Or just take him to the ER and let them coordinate with the VA if you think it is that imminent.

Do you know if he is compliant with his medications? and when he last saw someone in behavioral health in the VA? could be relevant.

am sorry that your brother is going through this.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
You don't say where your brother is but if he is in WNC, I have never heard anything but good about the Asheville VA>. The VA elsewhere that I go to have been excellent. Am sure there are some not so good, but they really are pushing that "Choice" program to get into a civilian physician

If you fear for his well being and you fear harm, there is a hotline number that the VA will respond to immediately. Or just take him to the ER and let them coordinate with the VA if you think it is that imminent.

Do you know if he is compliant with his medications? and when he last saw someone in behavioral health in the VA? could be relevant.

am sorry that your brother is going through this.
Thanks for the response! He is located in NYC. It’s my belief that he is compliant regarding his meds and goes to the VA for psychiatric help regularly there.
Do you happen to have that hotline # handy?

Old 10-11-2017, 03:56 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,280,750 times
Veterans Crisis Line:
1-800-273-8255 (Press 1)

My sister just retired as a psychiatric nurse practitioner for the VA in their behavioral health unit in TN. They took calls for help seriously.

The above may be the number. I am not sure. But it will get you to someone who can redirect your call if not.

Not all VAs are equal, so that could be a part of the problem. I do not know the NYC area.

Good luck.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:17 PM

13,093 posts, read 20,791,204 times
Part of the problem with mental health issues is the Veteran can be good at concealing issues. Even if they are fully complying with their heath professionals instructions and medications, the illness itself can also have an adverse impact on the caregivers. So, it's not only the Veteran who needs help, the caregivers also need help in dealing with the whole picture including support for assisting the VA understand what may be happening with that Veteran.

So, garb a pencil and write this number down.
1-855-260-3274
This is essentially the help line for the caregivers.

You can also go here:
VA Caregiver Help
This will enable you to get the name, phone numbers and direct extensions of the counselors to help the caregivers in your immediate area.

The VA has recognized that a Veteran with mental health issues can become too "macho" to really seek or accept help. This often places an additional hardship and burden on the family. So, they want you to seek help for not just the Veteran, but also for yourself by being part of the process. You don't have to be an outside forced to side, you can become engaged in the care which ends up helping everyone

Old 10-11-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Part of the problem with mental health issues is the Veteran can be good at concealing issues. Even if they are fully complying with their heath professionals instructions and medications, the illness itself can also have an adverse impact on the caregivers. So, it's not only the Veteran who needs help, the caregivers also need help in dealing with the whole picture including support for assisting the VA understand what may be happening with that Veteran.

So, garb a pencil and write this number down.
1-855-260-3274
This is essentially the help line for the caregivers.

You can also go here:
VA Caregiver Help
This will enable you to get the name, phone numbers and direct extensions of the counselors to help the caregivers in your immediate area.

The VA has recognized that a Veteran with mental health issues can become too "macho" to really seek or accept help. This often places an additional hardship and burden on the family. So, they want you to seek help for not just the Veteran, but also for yourself by being part of the process. You don't have to be an outside forced to side, you can become engaged in the care which ends up helping everyone
That^^^was so very helpful! Thank you so much. My brother is very hard to communicate with. Any conversation that lasts more than a minute or two and he gets anxiety and stopts communicating.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:38 AM

37,292 posts, read 61,067,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Hi all, my brother who is a retired Airforce veteran has ongoing psychiatric issues. He is currently inpatient for severe anxiety. He has had ongoing psychiatric problems since he left the military and has been treated by the VA ever since. I'm starting to question the level of care that he is getting there. Has anyone else had the same or different experience and what did you do to get outside help? I'm afraid that he is going to harm himself and appreciate any help. He is residing in NYC.
Since your brother is a military retiree he may also use Tricare for his healthcare provider.

The VA focus on veterans. But as a retiree he can basically go to any medical facility to be treated.

I would suggest that he leave the VA for the veterans, and go seek treatment at a higher quality facility.

I am also a military retiree. I only use civilian medical facilities. Thank him for his service for me

Old 10-13-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Since your brother is a military retiree he may also use Tricare for his healthcare provider.

The VA focus on veterans. But as a retiree he can basically go to any medical facility to be treated.

I would suggest that he leave the VA for the veterans, and go seek treatment at a higher quality facility.

I am also a military retiree. I only use civilian medical facilities. Thank him for his service for me
Thanks! So sorry, but I did not mean to write that he is retired from the military, he's just retired. I'm guessing that he can't take advantage of Tricare? He did 4 years of active duty.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:58 AM

6,533 posts, read 7,021,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Thanks! So sorry, but I did not mean to write that he is retired from the military, he's just retired. I'm guessing that he can't take advantage of Tricare? He did 4 years of active duty.
No he cannot take Tri-care. He can though use the VA health system. He might have to make co-payments but if his income is low he may get that waived. Look here for your answers.

https://www4.va.gov/healthbenefits/

Old 10-14-2017, 06:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,432,908 times
I never understood why veterans limit their healthcare to what is provided by the VA. I know it's free coverage but...

There are many known treatment options for PTSD. CBT therapy, EMDR, and other therapies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues