Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 06:39 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times

Advertisements

Is what he did illegal? Okay, well, maybe. Still, what you do is put him in a high-intensity organization, send them into harms way as typical of those guys and put the Boot Louie out front! Problem solved. At the price of a few rounds.

Okay, that's old school. But effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 06:49 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,061 times
Let him continue to stay in ranks. Of course, just like anyone else, let him stand on his own merits.

His troops will not follow him, his peers will openly mock him, he'll stagnate in promotions and receive floundering performance reviews.

Give him a dishonorable discharge at the very end.

Or hey, have him stand at attention on the tarmac at Dover for a few months.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:40 AM

301 posts, read 295,559 times
Political protests are allowed for military members; however, they cannot do it in uniform. Coming from West Point, there is no doubt he was briefed as a cadet during his 4 year tenure. As it was, he was post graduation and therefor a Commissioned Second-Lieutenant.

Best course of action is to hit him with a huge Article-15 for violating Dod Directive 1344.10, and Army AR 600-200. There are numerous criminal statutes that they could use as well as the all encompassing "Conduct unbecoming of an Officer".

Because he hasn't reported to his next duty station, they could get him with his Commander being a Lieutenant General. In this case the max penalty would be 60 days Restriction with out suspension from duty (Thus taking away the Leave cadets usually are allotted immediately after graduation), 30 days arrest in quarters, forfeiture of 1/2 his pay for 2 months. The Article-15 would remain in his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). It could be worded such that it would affect his future promotion leaving him as a Second-Lieutenant for the remainder of his career and removing him after his commitment to West Point is complete.

I think this would be the worst punishment that legally he could be hit with. Now he could disagree with the charges and always request a Court Martial and if found guilty the punishment could be much more severe including dismissal from the service.

With the Article-15 he could be used for every crappy duty that requires an Officer. These people can be used to be sent to the worst locations and the worst duties where no one in their right mind would ever volunteer to go.

They would get 5 years of crap duty from him before dismissing him as a Second Lieutenant.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:40 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Is what he did illegal? Okay, well, maybe. Still, what you do is put him in a high-intensity organization, send them into harms way as typical of those guys and put the Boot Louie out front! Problem solved. At the price of a few rounds.

Yes what he did was illegal as he is under the jurisdiction of the UCMJ.The problem is that he is supposed to lead our soldiers. Unless we instate a Dirty Dozen with condemned prisoners given a fight or death penalty choice. you can't do what King David did to Uriah. Parachuting him solo into Afghanistan is both cruel and unusual and way over the line that his crime justifies.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:08 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

No, that might get good men killed, which it did even in the old school. No fighting commander wants him, no platoon leader wants him. And there's a chance he might do something heroic and wind up getting a MoH. Putting him on the battlefield is absurd.

They will most likely give him NJP (Article 15), but to keep that bad ink most effective, they have to leave him in the unit where he got the Article 15 (the NJP record itself goes away when the soldier changes units), although his performance report will continue to list the action he was punished for.

To make the Article 15 a hole he'll never climb out of, they'll put him into a bureaucratic closet right where he is, never move him, never advance him, until he's paid off his commitment. He's going to be the turd in a box that every director to that office will have to put up with until his commitment is done.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

One of the more serious things this idiot did was make inflammatory statements against politicians like Mike Pence, which is clearly forbidden under UCMJ and grounds for serious punishment including being kicked out of the Army altogether.
Not too many people seemed to mind inflammatory statements from soldiers about the former president.

But in terms of grounds of serious punishment under the UCMJ, the critical issue is whether the soldier used "contemptuous words" or was inciting mutiny.

The "contemputous words" issue is very strict in court. A soldier can say, "The president made a false statement," but the soldier cannot say, "The president is a liar."

Old 10-01-2017, 01:42 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Hmmm...I know how everyone feels here, but maybe...what's going to happen if he stays right where he is? We have Muslim, gay, transgender, and atheist soldiers in our military and we had Japanese soldiers in our military in WWII. So what if he's Communist? My opinion is that his ideology is misplaced, but if he'll defend the country, then who is it hurting? Do you guys really think he'll be able to pay back what his education cost? So why don't we get some use out of him?

As an atheist, I helped out a local church for one of their donation days. It didn't bother me and it helped them. Sometimes what you believe takes a second seat to what you hold allegiance to. I complain about the US all the time and I'm embarrassed to death over some of things we've done in the name of our country, but it's still my country, right or wrong and I'll defend it to the death. How do you know he doesn't feel the same way?

Old 10-01-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Hmmm...I know how everyone feels here, but maybe...what's going to happen if he stays right where he is? We have Muslim, gay, transgender, and atheist soldiers in our military and we had Japanese soldiers in our military in WWII. So what if he's Communist? My opinion is that his ideology is misplaced, but if he'll defend the country, then who is it hurting? Do you guys really think he'll be able to pay back what his education cost? So why don't we get some use out of him?

As an atheist, I helped out a local church for one of their donation days. It didn't bother me and it helped them. Sometimes what you believe takes a second seat to what you hold allegiance to. I complain about the US all the time and I'm embarrassed to death over some of things we've done in the name of our country, but it's still my country, right or wrong and I'll defend it to the death. How do you know he doesn't feel the same way?
Per Defense Department regulation, active duty service members are not permitted to promote political parties or candidates while in uniform.

As long as that was the case at the time of the incident, he's going to bear some consequences for it, and that's not a matter of "how everyone here feels."

Old 10-01-2017, 04:04 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
send him to Afghanistan for about twelve solid years

Old 10-01-2017, 05:16 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
I saw a movie a few months ago, fare enough back that I don't remember the name. The soldier to be punished was sent to an above the Arctic Circle to an Igloo facing the water, and was to stand outside all day with a rifle to watch for problems next to a flag pole that he would send the flag up each morning and down each evening. One man duty station, living in an Igloo by himself, and no place to go have fun in his off time. I know it was a movie, but I feel it would be an appropriate punishment for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues