Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 05:35 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Per Defense Department regulation, active duty service members are not permitted to promote political parties or candidates while in uniform.

As long as that was the case at the time of the incident, he's going to bear some consequences for it, and that's not a matter of "how everyone here feels."
Oh, I understand that. But what bothers me about a lot of the comments here is people just being, I don't know, nasty.

Is this really a case for death, abandonment, torture and what all that people are practically suggesting here? This reminds me of lynch mobs in the south. Seriously. This is an army problem. It will be dealt with by the Army. Why don't people save their outrage for things like, oh, maybe, children being shot in their homes or the fact that we may be facing another war with Korea? I mean, is this the wost thing happening in their world today?

Last edited by rodentraiser; 10-01-2017 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 06:43 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Not too many people seemed to mind inflammatory statements from soldiers about the former president.

But in terms of grounds of serious punishment under the UCMJ, the critical issue is whether the soldier used "contemptuous words" or was inciting mutiny.

The "contemputous words" issue is very strict in court. A soldier can say, "The president made a false statement," but the soldier cannot say, "The president is a liar."
Actually, a Marine was booted from the Corps for making anti-Obama statements on his Facebook page five years ago. The military has made it very clear that such statements were not to be made on social media platforms while in the military.

As far as the UCMJ in this case, here is the actual article 88 from the UCMJ:

Quote:
Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.
On Twitter, this guy said this about the Secretary of Defense Mattis: "Definitely the most vile, evil f**k in the current administration." If that isn't contemptuous, I don't know what is.

Hopefully they throw the book at this clown.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:56 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Yes what he did was illegal as he is under the jurisdiction of the UCMJ.The problem is that he is supposed to lead our soldiers. Unless we instate a Dirty Dozen with condemned prisoners given a fight or death penalty choice. you can't do what King David did to Uriah. Parachuting him solo into Afghanistan is both cruel and unusual and way over the line that his crime justifies.
You guys missed my point. When he's out with his patrol of 9 men, he will die with 9 rounds in his back.
Like I said, old school. It was tongue in cheek. We used to joke like that. Dang Marines. They ruint me.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:13 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
You guys missed my point. When he's out with his patrol of 9 men, he will die with 9 rounds in his back.
Like I said, old school. It was tongue in cheek. We used to joke like that. Dang Marines. They ruint me.
Those were cases that the Lt had proven he was likely to get them killed. This guy has been in combat (or at least near it). He might not be "that guy" in the field. Don't presume all the men in the squad are going to conspire to murder because of his politics.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:20 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Those were cases that the Lt had proven he was likely to get them killed. This guy has been in combat (or at least near it). He might not be "that guy" in the field. Don't presume all the men in the squad are going to conspire to murder because of his politics.
Even if he has been in combat, under fire, perhaps performing well, it may be that he has no desire to do it again. The political angle may be a farce.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:26 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
True.
Besides my Army was set up to fight the Soviets. An entire generation has joined with a different focus on who they are most likely to see combat against

Old 10-01-2017, 08:13 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Even if he has been in combat, under fire, perhaps performing well, it may be that he has no desire to do it again. The political angle may be a farce.
The point is, if the Army believes he's a lousy soldier, he shouldn't be put into combat, nor should the Army expect soldiers to commit an illegal execution. The whole idea is absurd and repellent.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:17 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,151 times
I had to sign a form swearing that I wasn't Communist before joining the Army. I neglected to tell them about the fact that my senior thesis was basically about the Communist Manifesto, but...

This guy's going to run into trouble.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:31 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
The point is, if the Army believes he's a lousy soldier, he shouldn't be put into combat, nor should the Army expect soldiers to commit an illegal execution. The whole idea is absurd and repellent.
Oh, I totally agree. I said that in the OP.

I just wonder if the whole thing isn't about getting out of his commitment and avoiding being deployed to a hot area again.

If he decided he did not want to be an officer in the Army and follow the rules, why didn't he just drop out of West Point?

Old 10-01-2017, 10:39 PM

363 posts, read 349,918 times
free education, etc.

iirc, if you drop out after starting your junior year, you owe some active military time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues