Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:32 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
If he serves out his obligation and leaves the military on good terms that West Point Degree should help him out.

Well, yeah. If what I predicted actually happens, his next four years would relatively stink, but as a civilian afterward none of that stink would really stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 01:37 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
He should be sent to fort polk, La.
very good idea....he could command OPFOR (pretend he's a Russian Military Officer) since he seems pro-communism.....

Old 10-04-2017, 01:58 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
Kick him out!

Old 10-04-2017, 02:46 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
https://www.stripes.com/news/us/sen-...9#.WdU9bWiPK70

SEN Rubio's thoughts on the subject.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:52 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

I do think at a minimum his commission should be revoked.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I do think at a minimum his commission should be revoked.
Commissions can't just be "revoked." That would call for a general court-martial, which is a really big deal. Part of his defense would be precedent--how has the military handled similar offenses of political activity in recent years, most of which would not have reached the media. I suspect most have been handled lightly.

Ultimately, the Army is going to determine what is really best for the Army, and that might--I strongly suspect--putting this guy into a closet until they can walk him out the door without fanfare.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Sounds like he's going to be scrubbing a lot of floors with a toothbrush for years. Serves him right.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:45 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

Quote:
In a letter to acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, Sen. Rubio said 2nd Lt. Spenser Rapone’s statements should be an “extreme embarrassment” for West Point and the U.S. Army and that his West Point diploma should be revoked.

“It is extremely concerning that someone who so often expressed such hostile views towards the United States’ system of government was able to obtain a commission,” Sen. Rubio wrote. “Rapone’s revolutionary ideas were harbored long before he was commissioned as an Army Second Lieutenant. Were West Point administrators or faculty aware of his views and behavior?”
And Senator Rubio's comments continue... I agree with what I read. I don't know if the West diploma can be revoked...

Old 10-04-2017, 07:11 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
And Senator Rubio's comments continue... I agree with what I read. I don't know if the West diploma can be revoked...
Yes, thats the big thing. I'm sure this "thing" thought that he could get away with his conduct even if he had to endure some tough duty to do it. The West Point degree is obviously of great value to him else he would have left after 2 years.

He might be planning on graduate school, maybe even law school later, most likely is a good student. Some of the state universities might reject him. But say Harvard? Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him there (not knocking Harvard but thats the way they roll). Revoke the degree and those thoughts are over.

West Point has a tremendous reputation, why should he benefit from it, he doesn't deserve it.

There is kind of a legal precedent. Thinking about this, did a google, found that Case Western medical school recently revoked a MD degree given to one of their students based on his conduct not his academics (turns out he was a good student, but totally unfit to be a doctor). I bet West Point is looking at the legal aspects of this very carefully.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Yes, thats the big thing. I'm sure this "thing" thought that he could get away with his conduct even if he had to endure some tough duty to do it. The West Point degree is obviously of great value to him else he would have left after 2 years.

He might be planning on graduate school, maybe even law school later, most likely is a good student. Some of the state universities might reject him. But say Harvard? Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him there (not knocking Harvard but thats the way they roll). Revoke the degree and those thoughts are over.

West Point has a tremendous reputation, why should he benefit from it, he doesn't deserve it.

There is kind of a legal precedent. Thinking about this, did a google, found that Case Western medical school recently revoked a MD degree given to one of their students based on his conduct not his academics (turns out he was a good student, but totally unfit to be a doctor). I bet West Point is looking at the legal aspects of this very carefully.
It could be tougher than you think. I see only two possible crimes here--and we have to be talking about crimes.

One is unauthorized political statement in uniform, a genuine violation of regulations. The problem of prosecuting this is that it happens frequently and rarely results in judicial punishment. That's an element for the defense.

The other is whether he lied about being a member of the Communist Party--if that question is even asked anymore. If he had answered that question, "No," then the prosecution still has to prove he's actually a registered member of the Communist Party...which he probably is not.

If that criminal prosecution fails, his command structure would be hampered from taking any other kind of action against him for those acts.

That's why I figure he's just going to get the maximum amount of jerking around he can get under an Article 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues