U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 11:50 AM

24,152 posts, read 38,928,795 times

Advertisements

You must meet certain requirements to become a military pilot, but there is no prior flight experience required or needed to apply for pilot training in any of the U.S. Military forces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 12:07 PM

5,758 posts, read 3,195,270 times
I am too short!

Old 10-26-2017, 12:19 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,164,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I'll tell you why there is a shortage of pilots:
$200/hour to rent a plane with instructor to learn to fly.
40 hours plus ground school to get the ticket.
USAFA only has so many slots and they are not all pilots. Current class is 1200 cadets and about 1000 make it through.
About 1000 AFROTC graduates per year, not all pilots.
Expect a lot more RPA drones in the future Air Force.
Airlines pay better, but not always a top job opportunity.
When I got my license it was $22 an hour. That was for a wet airplane AND the instructor! $14 wet and $8 for the instructor. I could have saved a dollar an hour by going with a C-150, but I wanted taildragger time, so I went with the Citabria.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:48 PM

14,611 posts, read 6,715,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
When I got my license it was $22 an hour. That was for a wet airplane AND the instructor! $14 wet and $8 for the instructor. I could have saved a dollar an hour by going with a C-150, but I wanted taildragger time, so I went with the Citabria.
Must have been about the same time I did mine, $20/wet for a PA-28-140. A C-150 or 152 would have been $15, the instructor was $12. I received my private certificate as a senior in HS. $1100, took two summers to pay for it.

My civilian experience helped me immensely with the pilot portion of the AFOQT when I took it as a senior in HS. I was given not only an AFROTC full four-year ride, but was guaranteed a pilot slot when I was commissioned. I don't know if they still do that but the experience as a civilian aviator was instrumental in acing the navigator portion.

When I got to UPT, change in the usefulness of the civilian rating. It made me overconfident, arrogant even. 205 hours of civilian time, including recent aerobatics. Added to a not-too-confident assigned instructor pilot in T-37s, and I was in the eye of the perfect storm... I had trouble big-time until my attitude changed and I was assigned a different instructor. By ignoring everything civilian until the navigation phase, I performed much better and in T-38s ended up in the top 10% of the class. I have known others with the same background who had similar experiences, there is a significant difference between a C-172 or PA-28-181 and a T-37 (or now T-6) and T-38. The military trains pilots in a certain way and some techniques are incompatible with civilian techniques.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:37 AM

1,897 posts, read 629,840 times
I know a few guys who might be eager to fly. Their names are Eric, Don, and Jared!

Old 10-28-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I started at age 16, around 1964. I think it was $8 for the plane, wet, Cessna 150. My instructor was Eldon Shore, but I don't remember what he got paid. I did not get around to finally getting my private until 15 or 20 years later...

Old 10-30-2017, 12:25 PM

384 posts, read 216,428 times
I've read an article before that retired Air Force pilots can get as much as quarter of a million dollars to close to half a million dollars. I'm sure this is during "special assignments"?

I can't find the article right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I'll tell you why there is a shortage of pilots:
$200/hour to rent a plane with instructor to learn to fly.
40 hours plus ground school to get the ticket.
USAFA only has so many slots and they are not all pilots. Current class is 1200 cadets and about 1000 make it through.
About 1000 AFROTC graduates per year, not all pilots.
Expect a lot more RPA drones in the future Air Force.
Airlines pay better, but not always a top job opportunity.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:30 PM

384 posts, read 216,428 times
How long does it take to get trained and certified to fly a commercial plane? I've looked into a boat captain license and I was surprised it's really just a matter of "hours" of training to get the license. Off topic. I always thought those big vehicles required extensive training, like Doctor-level. LOL.

Anyway, which department in the military operates a submarine? Is that the Naval department?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I think this is part of it. It cost me $3500 all in to get my Private cert in 1994. That was in a Cessna 152 at $37/hour wet. The GA fleet is aging rapidly, and the newer Cirrus, Cessnas, etc are EXPENSIVE. I didn't go the Air Force, or Navy route as I didn't want the long term commitment, and if I washed out due to vision, or other reasons didn't want to get stuck in a job I hated. Looking back, I now think that was a bit selfish of me, but I had a opportunity to go to a good grad school so did that instead.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
I've read an article before that retired Air Force pilots can get as much as quarter of a million dollars to close to half a million dollars. I'm sure this is during "special assignments"?

I can't find the article right now.

From: https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/US-..._D_KO13,28.htm

Quote:
The typical salary for a US Air Force Air Force Pilot ranges from $60,000-$159,787, with an average salary of $102,557. Salaries estimates based on 84 salary submitted anonymously to Glassdoor by US Air Force Air Force Pilot employees. Salaries by Job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or