U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 11:40 AM

17,906 posts, read 9,836,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Can you provide a link to this source? or is this your interpretation?

Are you really suggesting that the body was out of military sight and control prior to burial?
That is almost always the case. An exception might be if the body is interred at Arlington--I don't know how "special" that is. But even in other national cemeteries such as the one my father is buried in, the funeral is handled by the funeral service of the family's choice--even if there are military honors, such as for my father--not by the military.

Quote:
A viewing will be from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., Friday, and a funeral service from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Saturday. Both will be at Christ The Rock Church, 11000 Stirling Rd., Cooper City. Johnson will be buried at Hollywood Memorial Gardens.

Read more here: Body of Miami Gardens soldier killed in Niger returns home | Miami Herald

Old 10-25-2017, 12:45 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,726,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That is almost always the case. An exception might be if the body is interred at Arlington--I don't know how "special" that is. But even in other national cemeteries such as the one my father is buried in, the funeral is handled by the funeral service of the family's choice--even if there are military honors, such as for my father--not by the military.

Read more here: Body of Miami Gardens soldier killed in Niger returns home | Miami Herald
Read the article and still it doesn't say anything about the body being in families' control for over 2 days.

Even then, we don't know if the casket was sealed or unsealed? If it's sealed there is no way the family can open it.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:02 PM

17,906 posts, read 9,836,596 times
Quote:
Read the article and still it doesn't say anything about the body being in families' control for over 2 days.

Even then, we don't know if the casket was sealed or unsealed? If it's sealed there is no way the family can open it.
What, do you think the military posted a round-the-clock guard at the church for two days?

If you have ever been NOK of a deceased military member you'd know that was not the case.

No, they signed the body over to the funeral home. In this case, it was probably buried in the coffin provided by the military, but the family would have the option to choose their own through the funeral home.

Moreover, no reputable funeral home buries a body sight-unseen--local regulations would make that insanely dangerous, inasmuch as they are responsible to the state for knowing who and what they are burying.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:24 PM

6,944 posts, read 8,875,359 times
Quote:
This might make some of us emotional but please stick to my question. Also, not trying to make any political discussion either based on the link below.

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ondolence-call

Question: Do they allow you to view the dead body of your loved ones in the casket or not? According to the article, they don't.

Why is it that families aren't allowed to view the dead body? it's seems completely illogical or can someone help me understand the logic. This has been bothering me since I'd assume that if any of my family members serve in the military, we will be given the right to view the dead body at the end just like in most of the other countries.

Physically viewing the body allows families closure.
But there's often nothing much to view. We are talking about military casualties, after all.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:51 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,486,361 times
Quote:

In this case there certainly was no reason for the military to keep control of the body. They bring the soldier home. They provide a burial casket and in some states the vault it goes in as well. They provide the flag and honor guard to include the playing of taps and gun salute.

If she wanted to see the body she had opportunity.

Moderator cut: Off topic

This soldier's family is also playing this out as well. Just an observation and my opinion.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-25-2017 at 04:17 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 03:00 PM

8,238 posts, read 9,994,274 times
There is nothing to prevent a family member from viewing the corpse, regardless of the condition. However, it doesn't take much imagination to realize there are some things that simply can't be "un-seen." Upon being advised that the condition of the body is not how most would want to remember their loved one, most make the decision to leave the coffin closed (similar to a devastating fire, explosion or auto accident).

Of course, these days, there are some who choose to make a racial or divisive political issue out of everything, regardless of how tragic. Moderator cut: Off topic

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-25-2017 at 04:18 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 11:40 PM

4,514 posts, read 3,774,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
There are some answers to our questions in the article below. The physical work done on the body starts about half way through the article.

"Inside the Return of America's Fallen at Dover Air Force Base"

Esquire Magazine

Dover Air Force Base Funeral Process - How Soldiers Return to Dover
Thanks for sharing the link to this article - I went back to the original article, which was a sensitive and respectful narrative of everyone involved in the process. I have to admit, even as a civilian with no family members currently serving, I found this article to be strangely comforting that each deceased soldier is cared for so tenderly and respectfully.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:04 AM

4,840 posts, read 2,145,909 times
For some (myself included),seeing is believing when it comes to the body of the departed. Ask the families seeking the remains of their murdered kin. There is an innate sense to 'know'. The world trades families..Needed to 'know'.
I cannot imagine taking someone's word without evidence to confirm.
As far fetched as this sounds ( and sadly insensitive),once a soldier signs up..They are the property of the govt military. .A number to be used in tactic data.

I'd want to know : not by a DNA test..Heck they can get DNA at sign up and fudge the end report.. but a mother,wife,father..Would know upon sight ..That's the difference..

Old 10-26-2017, 07:57 AM

4,620 posts, read 2,607,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
There are some answers to our questions in the article below. The physical work done on the body starts about half way through the article.

"Inside the Return of America's Fallen at Dover Air Force Base"

Esquire Magazine

Dover Air Force Base Funeral Process - How Soldiers Return to Dover
Thank you for sharing that link, it heartens me to think that those who gave the ultimate sacrifice are treated well in their return to US soil.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:06 AM

4,620 posts, read 2,607,318 times
Quote:

"wheeled out of a Delta Airlines plane en route to Fred Hunter’s Funeral Home in Hollywood."

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy

Is "Fred Hunter's Funeral Home" a military facility? And I'm pretty sure a funeral director would know how to unseal a "sealed" casket. It's not like it's cemented shut or anything.

Last edited by markjames68; 10-26-2017 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or