U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:11 AM

4,632 posts, read 2,616,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
People can do this: Do a Google image search for "emmett till," a case in which the mother of a brutally beaten young man chose to show what the corpse looked like after being reconstructed as well as possible by the mortician. That was not a final memory for any loved one to retain.

There's too much television of good-looking corpses.
And an unskilled mortician. Here's one that was done better. WARNING: GRUESOME PHOTO LINK BELOW.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/3a/e4/9f/3...mento-mori.jpg

Old 10-27-2017, 03:40 PM

765 posts, read 480,459 times
Moderator cut: Off topic

Johnson was shot to pieces, and left for 2 days in high heat, with wild animals and insects. Every entry wound, exit wound is a highway into the body for insects. His body was in horrible condition.

If any of you want to see what it looks like, in a somewhat safer medium, google pictures of the dead from the civil war. There are plenty on the internet of soldiers left in the field.

Four US soldiers were reportedly left behind as the brunt of their Special Forces team was evacuated after being ambushed by ISIS-affiliated militants in Niger, The New York Times reported Thursday.
About two hours after the US troops called in for additional support, seven of the 11 soldiers were reportedly evacuated by French helicopters, leaving four US soldiers — three of them Green Berets — behind, reports The Times. US officials in the report suggested that other US and coalition assets were nearby when the helicopters took off.
A second Special Forces team reportedly later made its way into the ambush site and located the bodies of US Army Staff Sgt. Bryan Black, Staff Sgt. Jeremiah Johnson and Staff Sgt. Dustin Wright. Sgt. La David Johnson's body was eventually recovered by Nigerien forces, two days later, nearly a mile away from the scene of the ambush, officials said to CNN.

Sgt. Johnson was either trying to self evacuate and hunted down, or taken away alive and executed. Either way, he gave his life for all of us. God bless all of you, and your families.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-25-2017 at 04:23 PM..

Old 10-27-2017, 07:46 PM

3,194 posts, read 9,243,155 times
It depends on the condition of the face if they let you see it.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:09 AM

8,768 posts, read 10,370,983 times
I think some of you are confusing should remains be viewed with military standard/protocol for viewing remains.

Let's get one thing out in the open. While remains are in possession of the military, it is military property subject to the rules and regulations of that military property. The family has no right to view the remains until the remains have been released. Exceptions are for identification or under command authorization. Otherwise, families seldom get to see the remains until they have been finalized. Once the military releases the remains to the family, the decision of viewing rest with the family. The US military has no control or authority over the remains after release from their custody.

There are times when the remains stay within the control of the military; usually when a burial is at a National Cemetery and the family has declined a transfer to a private mortuary for service or viewing. Example is an immediate internment.

So the issue of the condition of the remains is meaningless in the conversation as far as the military allowing viewing or not.

Many NOK have been confused and disoriented when they viewed the remains and instead of a physical body laying in front of them, it was just a uniform. However, under the uniform tray is the container holding whatever is that servicemeber, regardless of the condition. A civilian mortuary may have forgotten their briefing or just didn't want to deal with or subject the grieving family to what may just be the most haunting sight they will see if the actual remains are shown.

Moderator cut: Off topic

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-25-2017 at 04:24 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 08:58 PM

172 posts, read 85,159 times
The military does not prevent the next of kin from viewing the remains. It was probably a very strong suggestion that she not look at her husband and that she remember him the way he looked when she last saw him. You can't un-ring a bell. Once you have seen the corpse that is the last picture of them in your head forever.
The Air Force Colonel at my son's base assured me that he was given a new uniform and was made presentable in case I wanted an open casket. I didn't. I wanted to remember him alive. But, the military in no way tried to make up my mind for me or get me to do things their way. They couldn't have been any kinder than they were.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:31 AM

2,549 posts, read 4,288,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilbyandDixie View Post
The military does not prevent the next of kin from viewing the remains. It was probably a very strong suggestion that she not look at her husband and that she remember him the way he looked when she last saw him. You can't un-ring a bell. Once you have seen the corpse that is the last picture of them in your head forever.
The Air Force Colonel at my son's base assured me that he was given a new uniform and was made presentable in case I wanted an open casket. I didn't. I wanted to remember him alive. But, the military in no way tried to make up my mind for me or get me to do things their way. They couldn't have been any kinder than they were.
I agree with you. Iremember reading that they do have the option to see the body. Like you, I would want to remember him alive.
I think this whole this is what was said vs interpretation.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:16 AM

1,609 posts, read 691,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There is no reason to spend the money to return bodies. It would be far less expensive to dispose of them as close as possible to place of death. Cremation is the cheapest and easiest. People could be notified of this when they enlist.

Corpses are dead.
It should and always should be the choice of the NOK. If no NOK can be found, then it should be up to Uncle Sam. Believe me, the military has a budget for this kind of thing...."cheapest and easiest" is irrelevant.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:02 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,730,395 times
11/21/2017 - New update:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/additional...opstories.html

Quote:
Additional remains of U.S. soldier Sgt. La David Johnson were found on Nov. 12 at the site in Niger where his body was recovered, a U.S. official confirmed for ABC News.
I don't have to speculate but definitely he could have been tortured? I wonder what was in the casket now.

Why isn't there an independent investigation?

Old 11-21-2017, 04:40 PM

9,358 posts, read 15,818,519 times
An independent investigation of what, exactly?

Old 11-21-2017, 05:25 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,730,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
An independent investigation of what, exactly?
of the entire story to begin with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or