Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 09:57 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,641 times

Advertisements

Though every instance is unique, I dunno if they'd wanna see this particular soldiers body after being exposed for 2 days and god only knows the trauma his body endured causing his death

Old 10-24-2017, 10:05 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
There are some answers to our questions in the article below. The physical work done on the body starts about half way through the article.

"Inside the Return of America's Fallen at Dover Air Force Base"

Esquire Magazine

Dover Air Force Base Funeral Process - How Soldiers Return to Dover
I finished the article through tears. It seems apparent they are very adept at identifying the remains.
The whole process is very dignified, much praise for the people who do this, a very difficult task to say the least.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:35 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I finished the article through tears. It seems apparent they are very adept at identifying the remains.
The whole process is very dignified, much praise for the people who do this, a very difficult task to say the least.
Then you really need to see this:https://www.hbo.com/movies/taking-chance

Old 10-24-2017, 10:38 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
My last assignment the home unit 2nd SCR lost over 20 Soldiers in OIF. I can't imagine the Army providing open caskets for all of them. IED losses mostly. Speaking of which, the each of them deserved the same respect that SGT Johnson received. That a single Soldier is getting so much attention has got me confused. No one Soldier is more or less important in my eyes.

Why?

Old 10-24-2017, 11:26 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
My last assignment the home unit 2nd SCR lost over 20 Soldiers in OIF. I can't imagine the Army providing open caskets for all of them. IED losses mostly. Speaking of which, the each of them deserved the same respect that SGT Johnson received. That a single Soldier is getting so much attention has got me confused. No one Soldier is more or less important in my eyes.

Why?
Each of them got the same military respect SGT Johnson has received. The only difference has been media focus, and that can happen as a result of varying different aspects not related to anything the military is doing with regard to the death.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:03 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,694,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
It is a very in depth article. But it answered quite a few questions for me.

In 1966 or 67 I got to Saigon and looked up a neighbor who was embalming for the federal government. Wished I hadn't. Anyway apparently now they bring all into Dover to do the embalming.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:47 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
From articles I've read, it sounded like none of the military caskets were ever allowed to be opened. That seemed strange to me. I know many folks don't come back looking like they left. but what if someone just had a plain old heart attack. Is it because they're not embalmed and have been sitting in a casket for days? Doesn't seem like they come back super fast - like the next day. I know a lot of folks are sent to our base in Germany before being brought stateside to Dover. Do they leave Germany immediately or is there time in between?

The whole situation with SGT Johnson is tragic. I feel for his poor family and the other soldiers lost that day.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:50 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Each of them got the same military respect SGT Johnson has received. The only difference has been media focus, and that can happen as a result of varying different aspects not related to anything the military is doing with regard to the death.
Moderator cut: Off topic

This brings me to another point about some lady who went on to FB to moan about being too much of a coward to stand up and sing the national anthem as a service member's casket was either brought on or off the flight she was on. A lot of my friends thought this was so important to send to me to make this video go viral.

To me this is not only unnecessary but too much over the top. What should happen each time this occurs is that passengers should stand quietly and reverently as this is going on. No one should be singing or reciting the "Pledge". A salute by current and former military members is good but honestly folks let the solemn occasion pass without bringing attention to yourself if you are not NOK. Even the service members tasked with the duty, do it with the utmost respect and reverence.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-25-2017 at 04:08 PM..

Old 10-24-2017, 02:11 PM

132 posts, read 174,191 times
Something is wrong if a grown woman wants to see inside the casket and they wont allow it. Why isn't that her choice? This is terrible. Obviously she wants to make sure that he is inside that casket and I find it cruel not to let her or a family member see the body.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
To me this is not only unnecessary but too much over the top. What should happen each time this occurs is that passengers should stand quietly and reverently as this is going on. No one should be singing or reciting the "Pledge". A salute by current and former military members is good but honestly folks let the solemn occasion pass without bringing attention to yourself if you are not NOK. Even the service members tasked with the duty, do it with the utmost respect and reverence.
What is NOK? I keep seeing it on this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues