U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 07:19 PM

1,689 posts, read 1,035,268 times

Advertisements

This is something that came up recently. A year ago (after years of mental misery) I finally went for a mental health assessment and was diagnosed with PTSD and put on sertraline. The difference is amazing, and I only regret not having done it years ago.

While I'm largely happy with my job, every so often I look to see what else is out there. There was one position that caught my eye, so I decided to apply for it. I got to the 'veteran' part of the application, and saw a whole list of things that fall under 'disabled veteran' status....PTSD being one of them.

I don't recall ever having seen that before, but admittedly it's been years since I applied for a job, and since I wasn't diagnosed until a year ago, it could be that I just glossed over it.

I wound up not finishing the application, because weirdly enough.....I don't quite know what to make of the disabled vet status. I'm not discounting it, I just have problems applying it to myself, if that makes any sense. And I guess I also wonder if marking myself as such would be considered a 'red flag'. I know theoretically it's supposed to be so they can make accommodations for you based off your needs--for example, a guy in a wheelchair would need a parking space, a ramp, an elevator to get between floors, and such....but I'm not sure what they would need to do in my case. I don't need a therapy dog, for example--the sertraline and therapy seems to have done the trick for me. I was able to *function*, I just usually waivered between rage and depression. (I still get annoyed or upset, but I don't go into spiraling meltdowns anymore. I'm more able to shrug things off.)

Out of curiosity, I went to my company profile, and saw that I could change my status from 'veteran' to 'disabled veteran' for the same reason--PTSD. I haven't done it for the same reasons as above.

Has anybody else come across this? What did you do in your case? How do you think it effects your chances at the position, or how your employers view you? For those who *are* employers, what would your thoughts be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 04:03 AM

4,706 posts, read 4,819,572 times
My neighbor after serving in military and college got a job as some sort of counselor at the local prison. Worked there for a few years but wanted a Federal Marshal job. Took awhile but he got the Federal Marshal job.

He is 30% disabled for PTSD.

Not sure what part of the application process this information is collected or known.

Medical information should be on a need to know basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or