U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 01:30 PM

24 posts, read 3,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We are a military family, going back quite a few generations. My FIL served 20+ years in the Navy, retired Lt. Col. My spouse served 20+ years in the Navy, beginning with ROTC in college. He received his Masters in the Navy. Had a 2nd career when he left the Navy and received two pensions.

My son served in the Army, now in the Reserves, a Major. He would have stayed active duty, but the deployments were too difficult for his wife. We wanted him to join the military after graduating HS as he had no idea what he wanted to do as a career. He went to college, got a degree in Biology & Psychology, a Masters and THEN joined the military (after 9-11). It is very common regarding your situation of not knowing a direction.

I would suggest either the AF or Navy. Talk to the recruiters. You can change career paths within the military, get a college education and, if you stay in, a nice retirement pension and healthcare.

My son mentored a young enlisted soldier, who didn't go to college, but with my son's encouragement has since gone on and now is a medical doctor.

If you find the military is not for you, you only sign on for a few years, better than wasting them in college with no direction.
Sounds like a very valuable family.

I'm going to admit, I'm a bit worried about speaking to a recruiter. I understand their purpose and just feel that I would be skeptical about some of the things they'd say. I'm assuming they'd push for jobs that are undermanned but I've wondered what happens when you're firm on what's on your list.

Your last point is very true, it's the main reason I feel I have nothing to lose in the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I don't actually know the real reason we have a shortage, but I can guess.

1. VERY Employable. All the Airlines want to hire them, and they are often offered jobs with Northrup and Boeing as well. They leave the Air Force once they have experience so they can go make a ton of money in private industries.

2. We pay our civilian "contractor" mechanics more than young enlisted, so they often leave to get those civilian jobs. If you stay in long enough, you make more as enlisted, but you have to have the patience and not everyone does.
Those sound like strong reasons honestly. But thanks for the tip on it being undermanned. Have been thinking only security would be

Old 11-01-2017, 01:34 PM

5,384 posts, read 4,753,646 times
Get a degree, and go OTC, or apply for ROTC.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Air Force BS- The Air Force will not promote you if you only do your job. They make you do things like get higher education and volunteer in the community. Two people with similar job performance compete for a promotion, the person who volunteers and is a good citizen, and has college, will get promoted over the other person. Since many people do NOT want to volunteer or go to school, they get mad and call it BS. They want to just show up to work, do nothing else, and get rewarded. This does cause bitterness.
The Air Force also makes you attend leadership training at certain intervals. It's WEEKS of training in leadership and supervision skills, and many people get mad that they are forced to attend (there is homework, speeches, etc) as they feel like "Why do I need this?" and so they fight it and call it BS.
There are perceptions that some Air Force leaders exhibit favoritism due to these things (showing favoritism to those who volunteer and take classes) but the expectations are actually well publicized.
We make people do lots of extraneous training (computer based, and everyone hates it). For example, we have to do Religious Accommodation and Sensitivity training, Homosexuality sensitiveness training, sexual assault prevention training, human trafficking prevention training, suicide prevention training, and many others. It takes hours every year, it's boring, and everyone gets mad about it and calls it BS.
They make us get a flu shot every year, and people get mad an call it BS.
In my opinion, these things don't negate how awesome the Air Force is!

For crosstraining, it's guaranteed that you can apply, but it's not guaranteed you'll be accepted into the field you want most. You have to find something that has openings.

You do need 45 credits to join as an E3, but a 6 year contract gets you to E3 really fast (20 weeks).
Well, those reasons sound like BS. I don't think I'd expect promotion to be easy. If anything, getting an education/volunteering means you're literally doubling up with higher rank and pay AND getting education or serving more...is it just me or does it sounds like a win-win

I guess I understand the BS feeling for training, sounds a bit dull. Must get old quick or something. Might be a noob question, but are those training classes or whatever done when one is off duty? Really glad this is the BS because I was under the impression it was something worse haha

Also, cross training can only be done once, correct? So you have a maximum of two shots at getting something you like? Ultimately could you go to OTS after cross training or something?

Old 11-01-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The only dumb question is the question not asked. Sorry, I heard that a lot in the military...

That is possible, but no guarantees... It depends on a lot of factors. And the military changes.

Technically if you are honorably discharged at less than six years active service, you are in the inactive reserve...
Thought the military doesn't like questioning
That's true but I meant as in having the opportunity to have the part time job as well

Old 11-01-2017, 02:34 PM

8,444 posts, read 6,644,663 times
You don't know what you are getting into, but in your case, what you have in mind is a good idea.

Good luck.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Get a degree, and go OTC, or apply for ROTC.
I've thought about that but unfortunately I have at least 3 years before I get a degree. If I hadn't switched majors so many times it would be a different story. I'm not sure how I feel about joining at 26 or so..
If I may ask, what is your reason for recommending that route?

Old 11-01-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
You don't know what you are getting into, but in your case, what you have in mind is a good idea.

Good luck.
Elaborate?

Old 11-01-2017, 03:24 PM

2,869 posts, read 8,287,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW195026 View Post
I guess I understand the BS feeling for training, sounds a bit dull. Must get old quick or something. Might be a noob question, but are those training classes or whatever done when one is off duty? Really glad this is the BS because I was under the impression it was something worse haha

Also, cross training can only be done once, correct? So you have a maximum of two shots at getting something you like? Ultimately could you go to OTS after cross training or something?
Most of the training is honestly like TORTURE. It takes hours, and you do it alone, and have to watch torturous videos and take quizzes. you are allowed to do it during work time, but you don't have extra hours, so it often results in staying late. We all dread it!

There may be things that other people consider "BS" but these are the ones I most often hear complaints about. And more. For example, they make single Airmen (females) get a chlamydia test every year to prvent spread of disease amoung the troops, but not men. It's because women are forced to get PAPs for cancer screening, so it doesn't require an extra appointment. Everyone must get a teeth cleaning every year and the Air Force keeps track and then forces you to go. Everyone must get an HIV test every year and people think it's a hassle. They get upset when they're REALLY busy and the Air Force is like 'Go get a PAP Smear... go to the dentist... go get a flu shot... go get an HIV test... go take a fitness test... go do XXX training...also go volunteer... did you take college classes..." all while being busy with your job. Most people are irritated by anything that they have to do that isn't their "job."

Crosstraining is only guaranteed once, but lots of people do it more than once. Recruiting was my FOURTH job. I've done 3 other jobs completely unrelated to each other. If I went an got a nursing degree, I could switch again into nursing if I wanted for job #5 (just an example).

Old 11-01-2017, 04:06 PM

4,100 posts, read 3,690,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW195026 View Post
Thought the military doesn't like questioning
That's true but I meant as in having the opportunity to have the part time job as well
Nope. You mistake asking questions with questioning authority. Two different things entirely. If you think your orders go against better judgement then questioning them is good. If you are questioning why you need to paint that rock in the middle of the parade field then have fun paint all the rocks around.

The military wants people that can think. Especially the enlisted corps and NCO's in particular. Officers don't need to think that is why they have sergeants. Oh and don't got ROTC. Earn your bar by experience first. Learn what it is like to be a soldier, sailor, or airman first. Then go learn how to lead them.

The best officers I know were enlisted for a time. Some even made sergeant. But because they lived life as a peon they learned that leadership has a price. Oh and do not underestimate the life of an NCO. The officers have lofty plans but it is the NCO's that really make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues