U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 07:57 PM

60 posts, read 23,206 times

Advertisements

that discussion would be better as a separate thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 09:50 AM

2,884 posts, read 8,310,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW195026 View Post
I've been reading up a lot of recent military news articles lately and don't really understand why the Air Force lacks so many pilots. Isn't it something that many people joining are interested in? I understand how airline jobs may pay more, but is that the largest issue being faced? It sounds really concerning considering the Air Force revolves around aircraft.

I like to question or learn about certain things, so after reading all about it and seeing quotes such as "there is no one solution" I've been thinking why doesn't the Air Force add incentives? Have Airmen cross train for large bonuses or maybe even promotions??

Also, would it be a bad idea to consider having pilot be an enlisted career instead of officer? I mean, if national security is at potential risk, is someone who went to college for 4 years more qualified than someone who didn't? Considering essentially nothing from those 4 years would be useful, it just seems like a rational idea to me as it could bring more people in for pilot..
Probably a seperate thread. The Air Force is offering some pilots almost $500K in incentives and they are still leaving.

If you're not going to be a pilot, why is this a factor in your decision?

You're really really over thinking this. No job is perfect. No career is perfect. If you're trying to find a perfect career with no drawbacks, you're never going to find it.

Do you want the benefits from the Air Force, to serve your country and do something amazing, or do you want to keep going to college and find some other regular job you don't like? It's as simple as that. Stop trying to find reasons not to join.

Only about 4% of us are pilots, so unless you're trying to be a pilot, who cares?

Old 11-11-2017, 09:57 AM

2,884 posts, read 8,310,412 times
Quote:
Also, would it be a bad idea to consider having pilot be an enlisted career instead of officer? I mean, if national security is at potential risk, is someone who went to college for 4 years more qualified than someone who didn't? Considering essentially nothing from those 4 years would be useful, it just seems like a rational idea to me as it could bring more people in for pilot..
You must be under 28 to become a pilot. Many people who are enlisted with degrees are already too old.

You must sign a 10 year contract to go to pilot training school. Many people aren't ready for that. Would you sign a 10 year contract right now, to go to two years of pilot training, for a job you might hate, with tons of negative press? No, you wouldn't. For most people, the answer is no.

You have to meet many very very very strict physical requirements that many people can't meet, so that is a factor.

You can't get motion sickness at all. I get motion sickness in a car. How could I possibly be flying with G-forces and such? I'd be vomiting the whole time. Anyone who gets any degree of motion sickness is disqualified from being a pilot.

Anyone who is enlisted with a degree who wants to be a pilot CAN apply. If accepted, they get commissioned as an officer. Allowing enlisted pilots solves nothing. Enlisted CAN become pilots already, we just throw in officer-ship when we "select" them for training. Keeping them as enlisted is the opposite of an incentive to become a pilot. The fact they get to be an officer is part of the draw.

I would NEVER become a pilot. For a few reasons- 1. I am a woman and women pilots are notoriously given a hard time and I would recon to say it's the one last place in the Air Force where there is gender discrimination. 2. I have kids. Pilots are gone ALLLLL the time and work horrible hours. It's not good for a family. 3. I don't want to kill anyone directly. Pilots may be asked to drop a bomb on 100 people and end all of their lives. That's not for me. I know I'm in the military, but I don't have to actually do this directly in the jobs I have or have had. 4. I hate flying (motion sickness). 5. Fighter pilots may have to fly for 12, 14, 18 hours at a time. They pee and poop in a bag strapped to their thighs during this time. NO THANK YOU.

There are SOOOOO many reason I wouldn't want to be a pilot in the Air Force, and many other people share these same reasons or others.

It has nothing to do with money or incentives. You could offer me a million dollars a year and I would still say no.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:59 AM

1,221 posts, read 380,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Probably a seperate thread. The Air Force is offering some pilots almost $500K in incentives and they are still leaving.

You're really really over thinking this. No job is perfect. No career is perfect. If you're trying to find a perfect career with no drawbacks, you're never going to find it.

Do you want the benefits from the Air Force, to serve your country and do something amazing, or do you want to keep going to college and find some other regular job you don't like? It's as simple as that. Stop trying to find reasons not to join.

Only about 4% of us are pilots, so unless you're trying to be a pilot, who cares?
This.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:47 AM

41,359 posts, read 46,282,413 times
I remember a commentator (forgot who) stating that he, as an AF veteran, considered the Air Force as a "mass lobotomy by regulation".

Old 11-11-2017, 07:01 PM

29 posts, read 4,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post

It isn't related to my decision, was just a thought regarding current events. Not sure where people are getting the idea I don't want to join, that was never intended as I've decided I will be enlisting and I've already begun studying for the ASVAB. I only cared about the subject because it seems something that is worrisome for the nation, but in no way intended to connect it regarding my career decision. Just struck me how I've read people saying there is no solution for the lack of pilots.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:11 PM

29 posts, read 4,779 times
Really looking forward to the experiences and opportunities the military will give me. Thanks for everyone who gave advice and aided. Best way I can repay this country for what's it's done for me is to enlist.

Also to all, thanks for your service

Old Today, 09:40 AM

525 posts, read 203,868 times
Quote:
Really looking forward to the experiences and opportunities the military will give me. Thanks for everyone who gave advice and aided. Best way I can repay this country for what's it's done for me is to enlist.

Also to all, thanks for your service
How is your process going so far? Have you met with recruiters? Are you going to takes the actual ASVAB yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues