U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 11:01 AM

4,729 posts, read 5,352,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Probably a seperate thread. The Air Force is offering some pilots almost $500K in incentives and they are still leaving.

If you're not going to be a pilot, why is this a factor in your decision?

You're really really over thinking this. No job is perfect. No career is perfect. If you're trying to find a perfect career with no drawbacks, you're never going to find it.

Do you want the benefits from the Air Force, to serve your country and do something amazing, or do you want to keep going to college and find some other regular job you don't like? It's as simple as that. Stop trying to find reasons not to join.

Only about 4% of us are pilots, so unless you're trying to be a pilot, who cares?
My neighbor's son is graduating in May with B.S. in mechanical engineering. He has been in AF ROTC all 4 years wanting to be a pilot, top 10% of his class, top graduate from ROTC camp, etc. He passed the tests and got a pilot's slot. Went to pilot's medical examination and they found some 'little problem' with his eye.

According to his Dad, they not only dropped him from pilot slot/training but from all officer slots. The young man has appealed so I haven't heard the end of the story.

I understand that Dad may not have all the info. But shows to go you, there could be what seems the slightest little thing to us that may be significant in extreme situations or over time. and that the AF is on the look out for present and future dangers for its good and the person's.

I wish this young man well and hope they allow him an officer's slot somewhere in the AF. And accept it is possible there is a lot more to the story that Dad doesn't know. But he is a good kid and I doubt he did anything stupid that he isn't telling Dad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 11:06 AM

2,895 posts, read 8,374,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
My neighbor's son is graduating in May with B.S. in mechanical engineering. He has been in AF ROTC all 4 years wanting to be a pilot, top 10% of his class, top graduate from ROTC camp, etc. He passed the tests and got a pilot's slot. Went to pilot's medical examination and they found some 'little problem' with his eye.

According to his Dad, they not only dropped him from pilot slot/training but from all officer slots. The young man has appealed so I haven't heard the end of the story.

I understand that Dad may not have all the info. But shows to go you, there could be what seems the slightest little thing to us that may be significant in extreme situations or over time. and that the AF is on the look out for present and future dangers for its good and the person's.

I wish this young man well and hope they allow him an officer's slot somewhere in the AF. And accept it is possible there is a lot more to the story that Dad doesn't know. But he is a good kid and I doubt he did anything stupid that he isn't telling Dad.
This is a totally plausible story. We're incredibly strict about eyes.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:05 PM

8,778 posts, read 6,032,674 times
Congrats on becoming a citizen!!

Old 12-02-2017, 07:42 PM

8,778 posts, read 6,032,674 times
Confession: I haven't read all 9 pages of replies. I've looked through the past few, though. Sounds like some great advice!
As far as what you want to do, remember, the Air Force has planes. Normal for planes is in the air. There are a LOT of jobs that are required to make this happen. From Vehicle maintenance, Security, Ordinance, Fire Protection, Supply, Services, Maintenance, Flight Engineer, Loadmaster, Aerialport. And lots of other support jobs, like finance, medical, facilities/Civil Engineer, Communications/IT.

What have you always wanted to do with your life? Is there something that would compare on an Air Force base?

Do you know that Aircraft Maintenance consists of many skills including hydraulics, fuels, Electrical/environmental, Flight/Survival equipment, machinists and tin benders, crew chiefs which are like the pit crew and best of all avionics which can open doors at the FAA without an A&P license. If you aren't excited about acft maintenance, then don't do it.

In the CE Squadron you have plumbers, HVAC, Electricians, Power Production, carpenters, Engineering Assistants (very cool job there). (forgot to add heavy equipment/dirt boys)

There are meteorology jobs, intelligence, equipment calibration, cryogenics, explosive ordinance disposal, combat truckers.

Okay, that's all I got.

Last edited by hunterseat; 12-02-2017 at 07:52 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:37 AM

952 posts, read 342,680 times
I think you should take the ASVAB, and see what jobs you are qualified for, and then if they still do it, go in on a guaranteed job. I did it as an air traffic controller back in 81. Absolutely LOVED doing ATC! I was in the Radar approach control side of it rather than the tower. It was a cross between video games and chess. Need goid spatial abilities, be able to think fast, yet plan out your next moves. Then something unexpected happens, like a pilot declaring an emergency, so you have to rearrange everything. It was a blast.
If you don't go in with a guaranteed job, you could end up in supply or in the mess hall, preparing food.
Loved my job. Military was ok. I'd suggest getting a job that has the ability to transfer into civilian life after you get out.
If you can be stationed overseas, go for it. I was in England for 3 yrs, and while I was really happy to get back to the states, I wouldn't have missed the experience for anything.
PS- The physical requirements for the AD are a breeze. You can walk/jog the 1.5 miles and still make the time. Once you are out of basic, you very rarely do any PT.

Old Today, 03:18 PM

1,833 posts, read 464,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
PS- The physical requirements for the AD are a breeze. You can walk/jog the 1.5 miles and still make the time. Once you are out of basic, you very rarely do any PT.
PT is AFSC and squadron dependant. The AF is big on running and PT. Many have been discharged for not meeting standards;

https://www.thebalance.com/preparing...aining-3331742

2018 Air Force Physical Fitness Test Standards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues