U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 04:31 PM

5,039 posts, read 1,917,404 times

Advertisements

I was appalled the other night when friends came in and started bragging about their new benefits from the VA. Just want to put this out there and see if this is standard procedure. They are supposedly getting $3,000 a month and insurance for both the husband and wife. The wife never spent a day in the service. Do they do an income verification? If not they should be. These people live in a million dollar home with a Disney pool. They have a jaguar and Lexus and if he isn’t out hunting she is on a cruise. Someone tell me where does this insanity end? He supposedly got a 100% disability.. seriously? There is nothing wrong with this guy. These people have plenty of money. How do I get on this gravy train? I am a veteran also and nobody ever rolled out the red carpet for me. Not only that but the state will give you a 100% break on your yearly tax bill.
My question is, how can you get a 100% disability without being bed ridden? Seems to me that the people who need the benefits the LEAST are getting the red carpet treatment. Doesn’t seem fair to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 05:33 PM

4,735 posts, read 3,482,581 times
My only comment is, you have no clue at all what his disability might be unless he specifically told you what his disability is.

edit.. btw, why is this in the Toyota Lexus forum? Moderator note: thread moved to Military forum.

Last edited by PJSinger; 11-01-2017 at 08:20 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 08:49 PM

I have known these people for years. It’s always something. He has served in Vietnam. Claiming damage from agent Orange. He is over 65. Got out after his 3 year enlistment.
I just can’t believe this VA system. No wonder they are running out of money.....

Old 11-01-2017, 10:52 PM

528 posts, read 301,450 times
I assume you're using the term "friends" loosely.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:26 AM

Yes, I should call them acquaintances. Sorry!

Old 11-02-2017, 09:44 AM

8,902 posts, read 4,293,651 times
Last I checked, any able-bodied American citizen can join the US military, as long as you meet the age requirements and physical standards.

You could always join yourself and get some of the same benefits

Old 11-02-2017, 10:12 AM

28,875 posts, read 15,667,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I was appalled the other night when friends came in and started bragging about their new benefits from the VA. Just want to put this out there and see if this is standard procedure. They are supposedly getting $3,000 a month and insurance for both the husband and wife. The wife never spent a day in the service. Do they do an income verification? If not they should be. These people live in a million dollar home with a Disney pool. They have a jaguar and Lexus and if he isn’t out hunting she is on a cruise. Someone tell me where does this insanity end? He supposedly got a 100% disability.. seriously? There is nothing wrong with this guy. These people have plenty of money. How do I get on this gravy train? I am a veteran also and nobody ever rolled out the red carpet for me. Not only that but the state will give you a 100% break on your yearly tax bill.
My question is, how can you get a 100% disability without being bed ridden? Seems to me that the people who need the benefits the LEAST are getting the red carpet treatment. Doesn’t seem fair to me.
Total (100%) disability ratings are assigned “when there is present any impairment of mind or body which is sufficient to render it impossible for the average person to follow a substantially gainful occupation,” according to the Department of Veterans Affairs’ code of federal regulations. See, for example, 38 C.F.R. § 3.340(a) (2013).

Just because you cannot "see" his disability, doesn't mean he is not eligible.

Veteran alone will receive $2,915.55/month for 100% disability
Veteran with Spouse Only will receive $3,078.11 /month

Maybe this couple generated additional sources of income over the years. If your 100% VA Disability Rating comes because you qualify for the 100% rating specified for a single (or combination of multiple) service-connected conditions using the Schedule of Ratings, then you have NO limitations on your ability to work. He could still work.

You say he has been exposed to agent orange. I know retired Marine Corps Lt Col Bill Quigley, I know he suffers from cancer because of agent orange. He mowed his lawn day after he received his first chemotherapy. I don't know if he receives any disability benefit, but he is certainly not bed ridden even though he has cancer.

There are many things you probably just don't know about this veteran.

Add: I have friends who are 80-90% disabled, no arms, no legs, half of the face is black, they still work. Some work in the sheriff department, some work at a gas station. They are not poor, but they are not rich either.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 11-02-2017 at 10:41 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 01:52 AM

1,220 posts, read 380,820 times
And depending on the state, a 100% disabled veteran pays no property taxes. So their standard of living will sometimes be better than most (ie larger, more extravagant house).

Old 11-03-2017, 12:47 PM

23,023 posts, read 35,307,917 times
Quote:
A disabled veteran in New Mexico may receive a full property tax exemption on his/her primary residence if the veteran is 100 percent disabled as a result of wartime service. Any veteran may qualify for a $4,000 reduction if the veteran served a minimum of 90 days consecutive active duty and was honorably discharged.
We get that annual $4,000 reduction on our property tax here in New Mexico.

Info for all states: https://www.veteransunited.com/futur...ions-by-state/

Old 11-03-2017, 04:46 PM

5,544 posts, read 12,015,885 times
I am acquainted with a 100% disabled Veteran, due to PTSD from Vietnam. He has boasted how to "beat" the system to others and is not thought of very highly. He does not pay any property taxes either.

On the other hand, I am friends with a 100% disabled Veteran who lost his leg in Vietnam. He deserves every penny he gets.

My husband passed from a service-related cancer due to agent Orange. He did not collect disability because he died within a month of being diagnosed. Since it was service related I filed for DIC from the VA. After seven months, I am still waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues