U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 10:48 AM

3,036 posts, read 1,347,594 times

Advertisements

Sad thing to hear,but if its time to throw out the "trash". get rid of it all at once............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 10:52 AM

150 posts, read 90,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
It was my experience having been in the military and then working as a civilian with the military, that some, if not many, of the officers see themselves as above everyone else and the rules. I think, in a way, this is drilled into their heads, the "superiority".
This is what their "ability to lead" and "command authority" is based on. And, as in any power structure, it also includes and requires "circle the wagons" mentality. The police do it. Doctors do it. The Mafia and Gang-Bangers do it. The clergy does it.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:35 AM

7,749 posts, read 6,179,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
This is what their "ability to lead" and "command authority" is based on. And, as in any power structure, it also includes and requires "circle the wagons" mentality. The police do it. Doctors do it. The Mafia and Gang-Bangers do it. The clergy does it.
There’s a fine line between knowing you have authority over those in a lower rank/position and looking upon those you feel are beneath you as your personal servants. One is proper leadership while the other leads to discord, rebellion, or high turnover.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:02 PM

11,539 posts, read 6,073,717 times
And they all get slaps on the wrist compared to enlisted ranks.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:16 PM

32,991 posts, read 34,691,455 times
We'll see.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:24 PM

8,661 posts, read 5,889,578 times
I read an article today that he overcharged for servicing the ships (fuel, water, etc) to the time of $35million. Plus he got secret intelligence our of these guys.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:18 PM

1,656 posts, read 1,135,046 times
I did most of my time in the pacific based out of Hawaii. This story makes a few events I recall make a lot of sense. Particularly when some top brass was whisked away when we pulled into Thailand for an exclusive party thrown by some big shot connected with the port services.

Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM

7,749 posts, read 6,179,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I did most of my time in the pacific based out of Hawaii. This story makes a few events I recall make a lot of sense. Particularly when some top brass was whisked away when we pulled into Thailand for an exclusive party thrown by some big shot connected with the port services.
You should see the parties thrown on flag ships. US Embassy providing high dollar booze for local officials and ship’s officers to drink with enlisted personnel literally acting as waiters and busboys. I was in the scullery at the time and some of the guys managed to sneak a few glasses back to us to try. First time I tasted wine that cost more than $500 a bottle (1995). After the party was over the enlisted were ordered to pour out any bottle that had been opened, even if it was full. They were watched to ensure it was all poured out. This happened at virtually every port we pulled into. Those enlisted going on liberty had to be off the ship before the guest arrived as couldn’t return until after the party. Couldn’t have the rich hobnobbing with the servants.

Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

28,380 posts, read 34,355,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Yeah, it's funny how a picture looks once you have all the pieces to the puzzle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues