U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 11:57 AM

7,749 posts, read 6,179,597 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...381_story.html

Not surprised at the alleged crimes. Am surprised it’s coming to light with possible criminal investigations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 12:09 PM

32,991 posts, read 34,691,455 times
This is the Fat Leonard scandal? Man, I've been following this on and off since his 2013 arrest.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:27 PM

8,816 posts, read 13,898,070 times
On the bright side, some promotional opportunities may be opening up.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:05 PM

8,661 posts, read 5,889,578 times
I'm floored that there is so much corruption at this level. SIXTY!!!! That's just insane. This is crap that gets drummed into you (not to do) from day one in the military.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm floored that there is so much corruption at this level. SIXTY!!!! That's just insane. This is crap that gets drummed into you (not to do) from day one in the military.
At certain levels of rank the level of of power can lead to feeling invincible or untouchable. They hobnob with the rich and powerful like politicians and corporate leaders. Don’t know about other branches of the military, but the higher the Navy officer, the more disconnected they are from the enlisted and the mission. They become politicians and lobbyists. They wine and dine (literally) with diplomats and CEOs. They barely acknowledge enlisted personnel except as their personal servants instead of military service members.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:46 AM
Status: ""Abortion Stops A Beating Heart!"" (set 5 days ago)

18,278 posts, read 12,022,307 times
It was my experience having been in the military and then working as a civilian with the military, that some, if not many, of the officers see themselves as above everyone else and the rules. I think, in a way, this is drilled into their heads, the "superiority". My older son is a career military officer. : (

Nail them good!

Old 11-07-2017, 08:10 AM

22,996 posts, read 35,211,728 times
Quote:
The Fat Leonard scandal is a corruption scandal and ongoing investigation within the United States Navy involving ship support contractor Glenn Defense Marine Asia, a subsidiary of the Glenn Marine Group. The Washington Post called the scandal "perhaps the worst national-security breach of its kind to hit the Navy since the end of the Cold War." At the heart of the scandal was Glenn Defense Marine Asia, a firm run by Leonard Glenn Francis, a Malaysian national known as "Fat Leonard" for his 350-pound weight. Francis provided thousands of dollars in cash, travel expenses, luxury items, and prostitutes to a large number of U.S. uniformed officers, who in turn gave him classified material about the movements of U.S. ships and submarines, confidential contracting information, and information about active law enforcement investigations into Glenn Defense Marine Asia. Francis then "exploited the intelligence for illicit profit, brazenly ordering his moles to redirect aircraft carriers to ports he controlled in Southeast Asia so he could more easily bilk the Navy for fuel, tugboats, barges, food, water and sewage removal."
Leonard Glenn "Fat Leonard" Francis, Pleaded guilty in January 2015 to bribery, conspiracy to commit bribery, and conspiracy to defraud the United States, and is awaiting sentencing.

From the Fat Leonard scandal article at Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Leonard_scandal

The outcome of this issue might become interesting... Some military personnel have already been convicted.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:13 AM

4,100 posts, read 3,690,994 times
In my experience the feeling of superiority goes across the military officer and some senior enlisted ranks. I know of a few officers who felt they could do no wrong. That their farts didn't stink and they could just do as they pleased. I also know of a greater number of officers and senior enlisted who were true to the Army values. Many of the officers had enlisted experience but not all. But these good men and women cared for their soldiers and their welfare. Not just in theory but in practice.

These Admirals if found guilty are a problem we have in society as a whole. We in the military are a microcosm of the world around us. In truth we come from that society and are influenced by it. There is no getting away from it. All we can do, those of us that find and see problems do what we can to fix it.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:18 AM

28,381 posts, read 34,355,125 times
As an OCS commission I'm more interested in how many of those accused are Academy graduates. You know, the ones who know the part in the Honor Code that said"_______ do not lie, cheat or steal".

Old 11-07-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As an OCS commission I'm more interested in how many of those accused are Academy graduates. You know, the ones who know the part in the Honor Code that said"_______ do not lie, cheat or steal".
People like this always seem to justify their behavior through words like “I wasn’t really stealing” or “I wasn’t really lying” or “it was for the good of the service”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues