U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 09:36 AM

3,534 posts, read 2,526,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Thank you for your service is fine. Though many of us never hear the words period. I nearly flipped one day at a gym. Someone I knew casually at that gym, actually came up to me and spoke those words. I don't live in that city anymore, but have never forgot that person on Veterans Day. It is a very nice feeling to be remembered. When you see that Veteran I'm sure your words will be very comforting.
I served 57-60 and I remember the first TYFYS. It was in 2003.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 11:43 AM

28,060 posts, read 44,133,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Oh I recognize ppl every day,with a hi!

I chose to say 'well done!' to those that actively served in war zones or lost a loved one who was drafted. Those are the ones who served a purpose.
Regardless of which location may be 'combat zones' today or tomorrow, the USA has over 660 military bases around the globe on 36 other nations' real estate.

It takes a lot of servicemembers and logistic support to maintain all of those foreign bases.

Whether a person volunteers or is drafted, the individual does not get to select where he may be stationed, or even what role he may play in projecting US corporate interests.

During the VN war many people struggled with the 'purpose' behind what we were doing. It is not any better today.

My last duty station is a base that the US took from the Nazis during WWII. We still hold that base and we still operate military jurisdiction over that foreign soil.

To selectively compliment vets based on what you perceive to have been the purpose of their service, is lacking.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:46 AM

28,060 posts, read 44,133,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I served 57-60 and I remember the first TYFYS. It was in 2003.
In the 1970s we were all open to public insults and hatred from civilians. In 1990/91 [During DS #1] I was shocked at the feigned public support that we were suddenly shown.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:07 PM

3,534 posts, read 2,526,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In the 1970s we were all open to public insults and hatred from civilians. In 1990/91 [During DS #1] I was shocked at the feigned public support that we were suddenly shown.
Yep, times have certainly changed.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:53 PM

3,342 posts, read 3,014,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasound View Post
... I feel like saying "thank you for your service" seems a little impersonal. Any other ideas on how to recognize his work?
Maybe it is just me personally. I don't really like hearing "Thank you for your service". What meant a whole lot more to me is when someone once said, "Thank you for your sacrifice." That came so close to home. Even though most of us came back 'in one piece', (physically, at least), all of us made sacrifices. I usually respond with something like, "You're welcome. It was my honor to serve my country."

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming and Guns and Hunting

Old 11-11-2017, 02:10 PM

33,039 posts, read 34,738,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What does this even mean?

Just an attempt to devalue service.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:12 PM

33,039 posts, read 34,738,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Maybe it is just me personally. I don't really like hearing "Thank you for your service". What meant a whole lot more to me is when someone once said, "Thank you for your sacrifice." That came so close to home. Even though most of us came back 'in one piece', (physically, at least), all of us made sacrifices. I usually respond with something like, "You're welcome. It was my honor to serve my country."
Yes.

Everyone who serves, in any capacity, makes sacrifices.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:07 PM

10,663 posts, read 14,445,632 times
As a non-combat, voluntary service, Vietnam-era Air Force vet, I will always remember the first time I heard someone very unexpectedly thank me for that service when they saw me wearing an Air Force cap into a Walmart store here in west Texas.

Let me thank each of you here who recognize that years out of one's young beginning life whether it's actually facing the enemy on the battlefield, or simply supporting those who are chosen to go to the battlefield, can also be quite a sacrifice. Not all of us were so honored as to have been asked to give as much as some others.

On this Veterans Day, let's please thank ALL veterans for their service and sacrifice to our nation. I do and will continue to do so every remaining day of my life.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:24 PM

3,173 posts, read 1,186,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Regardless of which location may be 'combat zones' today or tomorrow, the USA has over 660 military bases around the globe on 36 other nations' real estate.

It takes a lot of servicemembers and logistic support to maintain all of those foreign bases.

Whether a person volunteers or is drafted, the individual does not get to select where he may be stationed, or even what role he may play in projecting US corporate interests.

During the VN war many people struggled with the 'purpose' behind what we were doing. It is not any better today.

My last duty station is a base that the US took from the Nazis during WWII. We still hold that base and we still operate military jurisdiction over that foreign soil.

To selectively compliment vets based on what you perceive to have been the purpose of their service, is lacking.
I assure you, when I say 'well done!' It's with regards. As to selective compliments...it comes from family upbringing. We knew who actively served in combat ...or incurred injury when they certainly didn't sign up willing for it. So if you want to glorify some military...have at it. Not everyone gets a trophy in sports...and not everyone who 'served' in the military...did so with honor. The my~ lai massacre comes to mind.

Nothing lacking here. My sensibility has been from my retired military brothers...99% sure they contributed to some great engineering projects to aide our allies. They made no sacrifices during their tours. So if my selective compliments offends you ....then maybe I hit a truth . When a war vet sits at a bar laughing at how he sliced that ****. Sorry..that doesn't fill me with gratitude.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:29 PM

20 posts, read 3,992 times
I like Happy Veterans day....for your boyfriend, but general public thank you is fine.

I usually say thanks, but what I WANT to say is that you can thank me by not being a commie liberal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues