U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2017, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
28,078 posts, read 44,173,557 times
Reputation: 15093

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I assure you, when I say 'well done!' It's with regards. As to selective compliments...it comes from family upbringing. We knew who actively served in combat ...or incurred injury when they certainly didn't sign up willing for it. So if you want to glorify some military...have at it. Not everyone gets a trophy in sports...and not everyone who 'served' in the military...did so with honor. The my~ lai massacre comes to mind.

Nothing lacking here. My sensibility has been from my retired military brothers...99% sure they contributed to some great engineering projects to aide our allies. They made no sacrifices during their tours. So if my selective compliments offends you ....then maybe I hit a truth . When a war vet sits at a bar laughing at how he sliced that ****. Sorry..that doesn't fill me with gratitude.
There are always pissing contests among vets.

Who does more? The infantryman who kicks in doors? Or the supply clerk who got the supplies there on time?

I completed 17 deployments underwater maintaining nuclear missiles ready for launch. Though I also deployed to Kosovo as an MP.

Does it really matter who the 'tip of the spear' is?

Servicemembers become injured and die in all branches of the military. Most of the servicemembers that have became disabled or who died on a crew with me did so far away from any battlefield. Does that make their sacrifices less?

How we served does not lessen our combat roles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2017, 08:37 PM
 
4,966 posts, read 3,244,997 times
Reputation: 12373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I assure you, when I say 'well done!' It's with regards. As to selective compliments...it comes from family upbringing. We knew who actively served in combat ...or incurred injury when they certainly didn't sign up willing for it. So if you want to glorify some military...have at it. Not everyone gets a trophy in sports...and not everyone who 'served' in the military...did so with honor. The my~ lai massacre comes to mind.

Nothing lacking here. My sensibility has been from my retired military brothers...99% sure they contributed to some great engineering projects to aide our allies. They made no sacrifices during their tours. So if my selective compliments offends you ....then maybe I hit a truth . When a war vet sits at a bar laughing at how he sliced that ****. Sorry..that doesn't fill me with gratitude.
Your post is amazingly ignorant.

Everyone who serves sacrifices, just due to the nature of the job. Of course, as a person who has not served but judges those who do so, I can totally get why you would miss that.

It is a voluntary sacrifice, but a sacrifice all the same.

And you put your gratitude - and lack thereof - where the sun doesn't shine.

Last edited by mochamajesty; 11-11-2017 at 08:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2017, 03:39 AM
 
3,187 posts, read 1,200,239 times
Reputation: 7661
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Your post is amazingly ignorant.

Everyone who serves sacrifices, just due to the nature of the job. Of course, as a person who has not served but judges those who do so, I can totally get why you would miss that.

It is a voluntary sacrifice, but a sacrifice all the same.

And you put your gratitude - and lack thereof - where the sun doesn't shine.
Hmmm...and this solidifies why I remain selective. Thanks for your viewpoint. !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2017, 06:53 AM
 
4,966 posts, read 3,244,997 times
Reputation: 12373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Hmmm...and this solidifies why I remain selective. Thanks for your viewpoint. !
So no valid reason then? Just as I thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2017, 07:38 AM
 
386 posts, read 178,144 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Service members become injured and die in all branches of the military.
And in the public sector outside of the military services and in the private sector in contractor support roles. If some are "heroes," so are they all. But in the real world, "hero" is a level of service and sacrifice that most who were there simply don't come close to approaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
So no valid reason then? Just as I thought.
This is not an area where you have actual grounds for complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2017, 08:12 AM
 
4,966 posts, read 3,244,997 times
Reputation: 12373
Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
And in the public sector outside of the military services and in the private sector in contractor support roles. If some are "heroes," so are they all. But in the real world, "hero" is a level of service and sacrifice that most who were there simply don't come close to approaching.


This is not an area where you have actual grounds for complaint.
And why not? Who are you to tell me that I cannot complain?

Who bought up heroism? You did.

The OP was about what to say on Veteran's Day to a veteran. The holiday is to honor all who served - there is no distinction. Yes, there is a difference between combat vets and those who were not, and the holiday does not make that distinction. Do not say that the ones who are not did not sacrifice - as that is not true.

If you want to make a distinction, then no one is stopping you. But it appears to be very petty and small minded to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2017, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
463 posts, read 115,217 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

I chose to say 'well done!' to those that actively served in war zones or lost a loved one who was drafted. Those are the ones who served a purpose.
You really put your foot in your mouth with that one.

My father was in the Army Air Corps during WWII.

I was in the Army during Viet Nam.

We were both trained for combat and could have been sent into combat at any time.

But he was a musician and entertained troops.

And I was a company clerk.

According to you, we served no purpose.

Well, I've got two words for you and they ain't Happy Birthday.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2017, 02:59 PM
 
3,187 posts, read 1,200,239 times
Reputation: 7661
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

My father was in the Army Air Corps during WWII.

I was in the Army during Viet Nam.

d:
Well done!


I'm sure you carry much pride as evident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2017, 06:41 PM
 
Location: S.W. Florida
812 posts, read 281,501 times
Reputation: 2105
Iíd tell him that you appreciate the great sacrifice he made by serving in the military. Any vet appreciates hearing that, at least they have when Iíve said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2017, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Port Charlotte FL
753 posts, read 353,052 times
Reputation: 1972
a simple "thank you for your service" and maybe a coffee and a donut will always work..

at breakfast the other day I saw an old man with a WWII hat on..I left before he did and as it was crowded in there, I didn't get a chance to thanks him personally but did pay for his breakfast and tell the cashier to thank him for me..I'm sure he appreciated that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top