U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 07:20 PM

15,429 posts, read 7,840,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't see anything wrong with "thank you for your service."

As long as it's sincere, the delivery and tone is more important than the actual words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I'm a veteran myself, and thank you for your service is just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What does this even mean?

Everyone who honorably served 'served a purpose'. This division among those who saw combat and those who did not does no one any good.

OP,

Don't listen to this person.

"Thank you for your service" is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Thank you for your service is fine. Though many of us never hear the words period. I nearly flipped one day at a gym. Someone I knew casually at that gym, actually came up to me and spoke those words. I don't live in that city anymore, but have never forgot that person on Veterans Day. It is a very nice feeling to be remembered. When you see that Veteran I'm sure your words will be very comforting.
I agree.

"Thank you for your service" is fine. We all served--no doubt about that.

Individuals, depending on their experience, may or may not be as sanguine about "sacrifice." That word has many different meanings.

I won't say that all sacrificed. I know guys who spent their entire careers handing out volleyballs at Ft DeRussy. I don't look down on them--they stood the same chance of incredible sacrifice as everyone else when they made the oath, but the senile old GS-5 who is the DoD Fairy Godmother Department happened to be awake the morning their assignment sheets crossed her desk.

Some sacrificed much, many sacrificed everything.

But all did serve.

"It was my privilege" will be my response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 07:23 PM

4,878 posts, read 3,543,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasound View Post
I just began seeing a guy who is in the army reserves (was active previously). Even though I won't be able to see him, I want to recognize him tomorrow on Veteran's day. I feel like saying "thank you for your service" seems a little impersonal. Any other ideas on how to recognize his work?
It is wonderful that you want to say something special.

Since your guy is in the reserve but retired it certainly is fine to thank him for his service on this day. If the traditional thank you seems cold and distant some how, then "I'm so glad you served and I'm so happy that you are that kind of guy." Followed by a big kiss.
"And I hope you never have to go off to war again"

As an aside, this has bugged me all day. There are several days to honor the military and they are distinct occasions:
Armed Forces Day is for active and reserve military serving now. Observed worldwide on several dates.
Memorial Day is for deceased members of the military. Observed last Sunday in May in the USA.
Veterans Day is for people who served but are no longer in the service. Observed by many nations on November 11th in remembrance of the end of World War One.
"Happy . . . " what ever day, is not appropriate for any of these holidays.
Sorry, but the talking heads on the evening news just got through yammering about this.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
Maybe "Happy Veterans Day." The problems with "Thank you for your service" include that it is trite and over-worn to the point of patent phoniness.<>
"So, where did you serve?"

Old 11-12-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
You really put your foot in your mouth with that one.
<>Well, I've got two words for you and they ain't Happy Birthday.
The tip of the spear goes nowhere without the logistics to back it up.
MY dad shot down Japs in WWII, Chinese in Korea. In Vietnam he designed the bug out plan from behind a desk.
He would have punched me in the face if I ever said, "TYFYS."
Still, I'm glad he was able to do what he did.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I agree.<>
"It was my privilege" will be my response.
That's how I respond. The last time was using the VETERANS ONLY parking space at Harris Teeter.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:08 AM

386 posts, read 178,144 times
...thereby making life more difficult for the disabled (some of whom are veterans) who actually need preferred parking. Then there are all those pregnant women out there that you are cutting in line ahead of. Thank you? I don't really think so.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:33 AM

8,490 posts, read 6,674,202 times
I wish the US had universal, compulsory military service.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
...thereby making life more difficult for the disabled (some of whom are veterans) who actually need preferred parking. Then there are all those pregnant women out there that you are cutting in line ahead of. Thank you? I don't really think so.
You sir, are an A$$. Harris Teeter has some vets in admin and has designated spots for all three categories.
I am not pregnant but also have a HP sticker.
FO.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 AM

15,429 posts, read 7,840,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I wish the US had universal, compulsory military service.
The military would have no use for 4,000,000 new 18-year-olds every year.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:43 AM

4,688 posts, read 5,278,382 times
I say Thank you for serving, or something similar although I too am a veteran. After all I am glad that they served, I am grateful for what they are doing, and I wish them nothing but the best. I am proud of them

If said to me I say it was an honor, because it was a honor to serve and support all I hold dear.

I think just a smile or a greeting is really enough for the casual greeting. but for a family member, does it need to be said? we say it every day by what we say and do. I am proud of you. I am glad you served. I am glad you returned. I love you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues