U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2017, 09:45 AM
 
4,966 posts, read 3,244,997 times
Reputation: 12373

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Well done!


I'm sure you carry much pride as evident.
Don't backpedal.

I served during the War in Afghanistan - which is the longest war in US history.


Many, many vets 'served' during this time period but did not see combat.


So are you changing your criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2017, 01:21 PM
 
485 posts, read 142,682 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasound View Post
I just began seeing a guy who is in the army reserves (was active previously). Even though I won't be able to see him, I want to recognize him tomorrow on Veteran's day. I feel like saying "thank you for your service" seems a little impersonal. Any other ideas on how to recognize his work?

Thank you for your service would be an entirely weird thing to say. Especially since this is a romantic partner. Thank you for your service is like saying good morning or happy thanksgiving or whatever bland generic greeting you say to commoners.


What does he do in the military? What did he do on active duty, what experiences does he have? Knowing more about his actual service would be super helpful to you because you'd know what he was about.


Maybe he likes to have his ego stroked and wants to you say thanks for your service. Maybe he wants to post pictures of him in his dress uniform on his social media platform of choice for some sweet likes or recognition. Perhaps he doesn't really want any recognition.


You have to know the person better for a more personalized "recognition".


Good luck, for next year I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2017, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Eugene, Oregon
4,675 posts, read 1,214,727 times
Reputation: 5617
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasound View Post
I just began seeing a guy who is in the army reserves (was active previously). Even though I won't be able to see him, I want to recognize him tomorrow on Veteran's day. I feel like saying "thank you for your service" seems a little impersonal. Any other ideas on how to recognize his work?
Don't say that to him. It always irritates me when anyone says that to me. I didn't serve, I was found guilty of being a healthy, young, American male and sentenced to the forfeiture of some of the best years of my life. Even those who go into the "all-volunteer" military of today, are mostly forced into it, by economic hardships. They're trying to survive, that's all, even though some figure they might as well adopt patriotism as an explanation for their sacrifice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2017, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
28,078 posts, read 44,173,557 times
Reputation: 15093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
... Even those who go into the "all-volunteer" military of today, are mostly forced into it, by economic hardships. They're trying to survive, that's all, even though some figure they might as well adopt patriotism as an explanation for their sacrifice.
When I first enlisted, I had been offered a full scholarship to Bell & Howell University [later changed to DeVry].

The majority of crewmen on my first boat already held 4-year degrees.

I got out after 6 years and attended college, later with EE in hand I went back into uniform.

Having an engineering degree does not guarantee economic stability as a civilian.

I do not think that patriotism is a very good reason for enlisting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:04 PM
 
Location: The South
3,537 posts, read 2,531,874 times
Reputation: 5186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Don't say that to him. It always irritates me when anyone says that to me. I didn't serve, I was found guilty of being a healthy, young, American male and sentenced to the forfeiture of some of the best years of my life. Even those who go into the "all-volunteer" military of today, are mostly forced into it, by economic hardships. They're trying to survive, that's all, even though some figure they might as well adopt patriotism as an explanation for their sacrifice.
Goodness, you have certainly had it rough. I feel so sorry for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top