U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:26 AM

6,098 posts, read 2,505,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
That panel of Generals and Admirals mentioned earlier. They actually want laws requiring that young people "eat right." I guess they feel the need for attention....?

They got into this mess by simply lowering of what had always been considered perfectly good normal healthy weight limits. Poof! Lots of formerly normal people now "overweight." Add a few pounds to the top of those limits and at least half the problem goes away. No. They want to keep out Chubby and hire the mentally afflicted instead. Man, that's leadership!
Yep, and the airforce makes the waist test part of the PT test (outside of the height and weight test in which your neck is also measured). So if your waist busts the test you fail PT which means your out.

If you are in good health as defined by a doctor and can pass the height weight tape test then the waist portion of the PT test is simply a way to get people out the door. Thats fine if thats what they want but you cant cry about it later when you cant get enough Ethiopian/sickly looking mechanics or pilots or what ever.

You just have to reduce your mission to do what you can with rail thin people who also happen to have the qualifications you want. Who can run 100 miles like those sickly looking people you see on those extreme marathon shows.

Wight lifters or people that can only run a 9 min mile need not apply, even if you already have an A&P and a pilots license etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 04:59 AM

29,738 posts, read 47,532,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
It is sadder to hear when people are forced economically to go into the military. Why shouldn't the military have to compete for people with significantly better pay and benefits and most notably better contracts.

Why is it a bad thing that they now have to compete to get quality people?
The military has always had to compete to attract quality people.

Through my 20 year career my co-workers and I were always offered pretty good Selective Re-enlistment Bonus cash [$60k] every 4 years. When I retired the SRB limit went up to $90k.

For the major of my career my salary was tax-exempt, and I earned enough that we were able to buy a home at duty station.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:50 AM

465 posts, read 218,360 times
Probably because mental illness is off the charts, and they're having trouble finding sane people, period. Let alone sane people that want to join the military.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The military has always had to compete to attract quality people.

Through my 20 year career my co-workers and I were always offered pretty good Selective Re-enlistment Bonus cash [$60k] every 4 years. When I retired the SRB limit went up to $90k.

For the major of my career my salary was tax-exempt, and I earned enough that we were able to buy a home at duty station.
I have alot of military friends and some family, and its always been pretty good on the pay/bennifits side, I am more refering to the contracting side. Back in the day you could sign on to a SPECIFIC job (all the way up to fighter pilots) and if you washed out of the program you went home (unless YOU chose to do something else), it was not the militarys choice (I believe this was sometime around right after Vietnam was officially over).

That has changed now and I dont think alot of highly skilled intelligent people like the kinds of terms that exist now (or at least 10 years ago when I did a couple years in the gaurd and asked to be released due to a contract issue). They wanted me to sign on to an ADDITIONAL 6 years to go to flight school, I understand flight time is expensive but not 6 years of my life expensive. Get what you can out of the initial 6 and if the governor stone walls the president on excessive delopyments (guard is suppose to be supplemental - maybe a month or two here and there to cover for regular army, not 13 month deployments, and thats only if the reserves are completely depleted) then fine.

The contracts are far too ridgid and allow for politicians to get away with far too much without risking people walking off the job (ie quiting the military). I understand the hard liners can make all kinds of arguments against not having such "lax" contracts but then you just dont get the tallent, you have to bring them on as much more expensive contractors.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Probably because mental illness is off the charts, and they're having trouble finding sane people, period. Let alone sane people that want to join the military.
Thats because we live in a neo-feudal state and people know it and are trying to escape it (drugs, suicide, etc). As Russian defector Yuri Bezmenov's stated, you have no where left to defect to, everywhere is, for the most part, a crap hole. The elites (to include military leadership) want the absolute most surplus labor value they can get out of a human being, through what ever means is necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wakec06NlA&t=571s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or