U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

11,598 posts, read 6,101,314 times

Advertisements

You gotta do what you gotta do I suppose when you need the bodies.

Even though it may be a small percentage of the recruiting pool, still, it does raise some legitimate concerns. I think certain MOS' should be off limits, period, to those that get in with a mental history waiver, particularly combat arms as seen in the Bergdahl case.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ar...ob-fb-enus-280

Quote:
People with a history of “self-mutilation,” bipolar disorder, depression and drug and alcohol abuse can now seek waivers to join the Army under an unannounced policy enacted in August, according to documents obtained by USA TODAY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM

351 posts, read 687,837 times
Well, sounds like they are gearing up for something. Lowering standards like this is probably not a good sign.

Old Today, 08:51 AM

23,007 posts, read 35,250,917 times
News article missed the mark on recruiting mission

By MG Jeffrey J. Snow
Commanding General, U.S. Army Recruiting Command,
October 11, 2017

Quote:
If you have read the Oct. 10 USA Today article titled "Army is accepting more low-quality recruits, giving waivers for marijuana to hit targets," you may be inclined to think the Army is lowering its standards as its need for additional Soldiers increases.

As the commanding general for U.S. Army Recruiting, I am here to tell you, we have not. In fact, quality is a priority for us, just as it is for Army leadership. Our recruiters exceeded all Department of Defense quality benchmarks in fiscal 2017, despite receiving the largest in-year mission increase in the history of the all-volunteer force in January. This was an incredible challenge for our team of 9,000 recruiters stationed across the country and its territories. I am proud of them.
Entire usarec.army.mil Article, with some interesting facts: United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) - News article missed the mark on recruiting mission

The "USA Today" article provided no references of where their information really came from... "according to documents obtained by USA TODAY." is pretty lame and vague...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; Today at 09:11 AM..

Old Today, 01:27 PM

473 posts, read 137,561 times
Some branches are not meeting mission. Record low unemployment rates will do that to us. In my state, our Army Guard is having an extremely difficult time.

Old Today, 05:04 PM

28,067 posts, read 44,133,257 times
It is sad to hear they are doing this. But, I guess they need to.

Old Today, 09:41 PM

7,565 posts, read 8,142,486 times
I may be reading way too much into this since I've never worked in recruitment, but I'm under the impression that there are three parts to qualifications. First is you have nothing disqualifying and can be accepted. The second is you have something that is absolutely disqualifying and you wont be accepted. Leaving the third to be you have something that can be waivered which means they may accept you. I may be way off base with this but I don't think it means anything but a person with those conditions can now request a waiver, but nothing says the branch must approve the waiver. I hope one of the recruiters steps in any straightens out misguided common sense thinking on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues