U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 03:08 PM

14,446 posts, read 8,050,444 times

Advertisements

You gotta do what you gotta do I suppose when you need the bodies.

Even though it may be a small percentage of the recruiting pool, still, it does raise some legitimate concerns. I think certain MOS' should be off limits, period, to those that get in with a mental history waiver, particularly combat arms as seen in the Bergdahl case.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ar...ob-fb-enus-280

Quote:
People with a history of “self-mutilation,” bipolar disorder, depression and drug and alcohol abuse can now seek waivers to join the Army under an unannounced policy enacted in August, according to documents obtained by USA TODAY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 05:01 PM

353 posts, read 723,198 times
Well, sounds like they are gearing up for something. Lowering standards like this is probably not a good sign.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:51 AM

23,762 posts, read 38,053,126 times
News article missed the mark on recruiting mission

By MG Jeffrey J. Snow
Commanding General, U.S. Army Recruiting Command,
October 11, 2017

Quote:
If you have read the Oct. 10 USA Today article titled "Army is accepting more low-quality recruits, giving waivers for marijuana to hit targets," you may be inclined to think the Army is lowering its standards as its need for additional Soldiers increases.

As the commanding general for U.S. Army Recruiting, I am here to tell you, we have not. In fact, quality is a priority for us, just as it is for Army leadership. Our recruiters exceeded all Department of Defense quality benchmarks in fiscal 2017, despite receiving the largest in-year mission increase in the history of the all-volunteer force in January. This was an incredible challenge for our team of 9,000 recruiters stationed across the country and its territories. I am proud of them.
Entire usarec.army.mil Article, with some interesting facts: United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) - News article missed the mark on recruiting mission

The "USA Today" article provided no references of where their information really came from... "according to documents obtained by USA TODAY." is pretty lame and vague...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-13-2017 at 08:11 AM..

Old 11-13-2017, 12:27 PM

501 posts, read 210,605 times
Some branches are not meeting mission. Record low unemployment rates will do that to us. In my state, our Army Guard is having an extremely difficult time.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:04 PM

29,447 posts, read 46,810,907 times
It is sad to hear they are doing this. But, I guess they need to.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:41 PM

8,774 posts, read 9,878,434 times
I may be reading way too much into this since I've never worked in recruitment, but I'm under the impression that there are three parts to qualifications. First is you have nothing disqualifying and can be accepted. The second is you have something that is absolutely disqualifying and you wont be accepted. Leaving the third to be you have something that can be waivered which means they may accept you. I may be way off base with this but I don't think it means anything but a person with those conditions can now request a waiver, but nothing says the branch must approve the waiver. I hope one of the recruiters steps in any straightens out misguided common sense thinking on this.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:02 AM

23,762 posts, read 38,053,126 times
Army drops plans to give waivers to recruits with history of mental illness
By Lucas Tomlinson | Fox News
November 15th, 2017

Quote:
Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley told reporters the memo was "unauthorized" and its author did not have the authority to change the Army's recruitment policy.

"It was rescinded last night," Milley said of the memo, which was dated Sept. 7 of this year and initially reported by USA Today on Sunday.

"There wasn’t a change in policy," Milley added. "There cannot be a change in policy by someone who doesn’t have the authority to change policy. I know it sounds circular."

According to the memo, potential recruits with a history of self-mutilation, bipolar disorder, and drug and alcohol abuse would be eligible to obtain waivers to join the Army.

"For all waivers," the memo specified, "the burden of proof is on the applicant to provide a clear and meritorious case for why a waiver should be considered."
ARTICLE AT: Army drops plans to give waivers to recruits with history of mental illness | Fox News

Old 12-04-2017, 10:16 AM

736 posts, read 378,619 times
The real problem>[QUOTE
istockphoto
(CBS News) Is obesity America's greatest threat to national security?
A group of retired military leaders seem to think so, given 27 percent of 17 to 24-year-olds in the United States are too fat to serve in the military. That's 9 million potential recruits.
In their new report dubbed "Too Fat to Fight," the nonpartisan group of 100 retired generals and admirals known as Mission: Readiness calls on the U.S. government to reduce the amount of junk foods available at schools in favor of healthier options.
"Being overweight or obese turns out to be the leading medical reason why applicants fail to qualify for military service," the group says in the report. "Today, otherwise excellent recruit prospects, some of them with generations of sterling military service in their family history, are being turned away because they are just too overweight."
More than one-third of U.S. adults -- 35.7 percent -- are obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Citing Department of Defense data that 75 percent of young Americans can't join the military because they did not graduate from high school, have criminal records or are physically unfit, the group of retired military leaders has set their sights on combating obesity.
Between 1995 and 2008, the military had 140,000 individuals who showed up at recruiting centers but failed their entrance physicals because of their weight, the report said.
Teaching healthy habits starts in childhood, the leaders note, so a properly managed school environment could help foster a lifetime of healthy eating habits.
They want Congress to pass new child nutrition legislation that bars junk food from schools, increases funding to improve the nutrition and quality of school meals and provides children better access to programs that promote health.
The authors said school stores or canteens, vending machines and a la carte foods sold on lunch lines are areas of focus to make healthier. They are asking Congress to give the Secretary of the USDA power to implement healthier standards.
"The folks that are going to enter the military in 2025 are in school right now," Retired Air Force Lieutenant General Norman Seip told Reuters. "So it's up to us to ensure that when those children reach the age of between 17 and 24 that they are ready or eligible to join the military."][/quote]

Old 01-02-2018, 06:29 AM

5,653 posts, read 2,992,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
"The folks that are going to enter the military in 2025 are in school right now," Retired Air Force Lieutenant General Norman Seip told Reuters. "So it's up to us to ensure that when those children reach the age of between 17 and 24 that they are ready or eligible to join the military."]
Who exactly is "us"?

Old 01-03-2018, 08:29 AM

282 posts, read 179,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Who exactly is "us"?
That panel of Generals and Admirals mentioned earlier. They actually want laws requiring that young people "eat right." I guess they feel the need for attention....?

They got into this mess by simply lowering of what had always been considered perfectly good normal healthy weight limits. Poof! Lots of formerly normal people now "overweight." Add a few pounds to the top of those limits and at least half the problem goes away. No. They want to keep out Chubby and hire the mentally afflicted instead. Man, that's leadership!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or