Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 05:10 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times

Advertisements

There's a thread on great/favorite war movies, but on the flip side, what do you consider the worsts war themed movies of all time?

I don't disagree with one link that chose "Hurt Locker" as one of the worst. The whole movie was just ridiculous, with soldiers getting in situations that would never happen in real life (even by the standards of Hollywood fiction).

I'd also say that "Lone Survivor" was also terrible. What really annoyed me about that movie was the absolutely contrived and made up sequence at the end with everyone shooting each other up Hollywood style. I rolled my eyes in the theater.

Here’s Why ‘The Hurt Locker’ Is The Worst War Movie Of All Time

https://www.thoughtco.com/worst-war-...l-time-3438702

Worst war movies ever… Don’t waste your time on these stinkers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 02:54 PM

950 posts, read 1,258,057 times
Many of these films I haven't seen at all. I've watched Alexander Nevski with the famous scene of th erussians fighting the Teutonic Knights on the frozen lake. It interests me because my grandmother had relatives, the von Lilienschilds who fought in the Crusades and later belonged to the Livonian Knights of the Sword. The family goes back in the records of the City of Riga to the 13th or 14th century. The order later on became part of the Teutonic Knights. Thety are still around, but mainly as a roman catholic religious order of men and women.
I've seen The Blue Max, Downfall, The Last Ten Days of Hitler with Alec Guiness and several others. These interest me because my father had relatives in Germany who were officers in the german military at the time. Plus my dad and his cousins here fought on our side during WW2. I've had very little chance to see any historical war movies from the Hungarian side of things. I know my mother's relatives there most likely fought against the Ottoman Turks, but thes films don't make it to America.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:45 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,043 times
"Pearl Harbor" Here is a link to what the critics think:https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1108389_pearl_harbor

Historically it is even worse. I think the only thing that is historically correct is the date of the attack..........its an insult to the real soldiers and sailors..........

Old 11-09-2017, 11:41 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Pearl Harbor
Delta Force
Inchon
The Green Berets
Lone Survivor

My top five worst war movies

Old 11-10-2017, 01:43 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,173 times
"Marines Let's Go" is just one of many bad war movies, but this one stands out because my unit was in it. We had to pull out suddenly (Laos or Bay of Pigs, I can't remember which) so the movie wasn't finished. They just threw together some film from the cutting room floor to make an ending and released it.

Marines, Let's Go (1961) - IMDb

It was difficult to find a review since few people actually paid to see this film, but here is one that sums it up:

OK, so lets put on our imagination caps for a moment. Imagine that Porky's or Stripes or Animal House had been made in '61, and for some reason it'd been set in Tokyo during the Korean War with a bunch of misfit Marines. And lets say that they cast a bunch of nobody's and tried to wrap it in a meaningful war story. And they hired a bunch of drunk college freshman to write the script. Then you'd get 1961's "Marines, Let's Go". Gads. (Chris@warmovieblog.com)

Old 11-11-2017, 01:07 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Pearl Harbor
Delta Force
Inchon
The Green Berets
Lone Survivor

My top five worst war movies
Yes, the "Green Berets" was not accurate. I read a very good book by a real Green Beret who was assigned a mission to save POWs at an NVA prison camp guarded by MIGs and tear gas. The complexities of the war and the tragedies described would have been more appropriate from the recollections of that green beret.
He had served with the "Yards" or Motagnards and had many surprising accounts. One was of an ambush of an NVA supply group using elephants. One of the green berets had a meat grinder at their base and decided to make burgers out of the elephant meat. The green berets described that event as the "Elephant Burger Incident". In the end of that book, they get close to the NVA POW camp and are about to drink water from a stream where they find that the NVA had placed a decomposing animal a little upstream knowing they would drink at that spot - a crude form of biological warfare. Then in the rescue attempt they are driven out by tear gas and ordered back to their base camp. The book was really good, and the green beret had a karate black belt. By contrast, John Wayne's film was mainly a WWII propaganda-style of filming applied in vain to a far more complicated and unpopular war.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:43 AM

412 posts, read 301,533 times
Do you count Rambo 3 as a war movie? Because it was terrible.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:30 PM

526 posts, read 386,024 times
Heartbreak Ridge.
Pearl Harbor.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:16 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
Heartbreak Ridge.
Given the people involved in making it I think that I may have been more disappointed in Heartbreak Ridge than any other war movie. I still can't figure out what the Marine Corps saw in the movie to give it official support after the Army turned Eastwood away.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:24 AM

344 posts, read 335,762 times
Gods and Generals has to take the cake. Absolute garbage, and was such a let down considering Gettysburg was pretty damned good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues