U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 57 times

Advertisements

I was in the navy for about 20 months. I suffered a serious injury and may have eventually been given a medical discharge, but before any evaluation for that occurred I was discharged honorably under DADT. Not my choice and thankfully that policy is now over. Soon after discharge I was awarded a small percent of disability and the necessary medical care to assist with the injury. Over the years it has steadily increased and for the past five years I've been at 100%, total and permanent. (Yes, it's service connected, yes it's real, please don't use this space to debate a veteran's disability, I've seen how other threads like this turn out. I signed up for service and became injured in the line of duty, period).

I hoped to buy a house with a VA loan, but two years ago I was denied an eligibility certificate due to my service being less than 24 months. I did not pursue an appeal at the time for whatever reason. Now I'm again wanting to buy a home and would really like to use the VA loan. Is there any chance I'd ever be approved since my service was so short even though I have a 100% total and permanent service connected disability? If so, what do I need to know this time when applying for the eligibility certificate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM

7,575 posts, read 8,161,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
If so, what do I need to know this time when applying for the eligibility certificate?
Contact a Veteran Service Organization for assistance in changing the discharge based on medical. Until your circumstances are corrected to reflect today's standard of service, the VA really can't change regulations for you.

If you have not already done so, here is the VA's eligibility requirements. Read through the list carefully and make sure your eligibility requirements corresponds to your period of service AND the discharged requirements for that period of service. If you're not sure what those discharges mean or what they cover, a VSO will be more than happy to assist you.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloan...ligibility.asp

Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM

17 posts, read 4,642 times
Hi raisins99,

Just wanted to offer a little helpful info. I too am a veteran, in my case I have VA Loan eligibility but
was never able to find a lender who would approve me for a mortgage with it. I was able to buy a home
by applying to the United States Dept. of Agriculture Rural Direct program. The USDA has two programs
to choose from. A USDA Rural Direct loan is what I would recommend you apply for first if you are interested.
It is a mortgage that is NOT owned by a bank. The USDA also offers a "Guaranteed" loan, which means
that you apply to the USDA and once approved, you receive a specific guarantee that the USDA will back
up your loan. This is an enticement to lenders, as it is a safety net of sorts. The bank accepting the USDA
Guaranteed loan will own your mortgage and be your lender. Both are made for folks like us who have
decent credit but do not qualify for traditional mortgages. They are both advantageous and provide many
of the advantages that a VA loan does. Both include safely nets for vulnerable borrowers which is nice.
They are easier to afford and finance. Contact your local USDA office and apply. Sign up for www.myfico.com
( it's a free forum) go to community and look for mortgages. Lot's of helpful professional free advice there,
which is how I found out about the USDA loans in the first place. Good luck and be patient with the process.

Old Today, 08:42 AM

4,104 posts, read 3,707,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
I was in the navy for about 20 months. I suffered a serious injury and may have eventually been given a medical discharge, but before any evaluation for that occurred I was discharged honorably under DADT. Not my choice and thankfully that policy is now over. Soon after discharge I was awarded a small percent of disability and the necessary medical care to assist with the injury. Over the years it has steadily increased and for the past five years I've been at 100%, total and permanent. (Yes, it's service connected, yes it's real, please don't use this space to debate a veteran's disability, I've seen how other threads like this turn out. I signed up for service and became injured in the line of duty, period).

I hoped to buy a house with a VA loan, but two years ago I was denied an eligibility certificate due to my service being less than 24 months. I did not pursue an appeal at the time for whatever reason. Now I'm again wanting to buy a home and would really like to use the VA loan. Is there any chance I'd ever be approved since my service was so short even though I have a 100% total and permanent service connected disability? If so, what do I need to know this time when applying for the eligibility certificate?
Your date of service is important here but you just need to appeal the denial. You are entitled to the VA loan. Also never feel bad for taking the disability payments. DADT was a horrible policy. I unlike some of my friends had no issue serving with everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues