U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

4,688 posts, read 5,278,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope45320918 View Post
This isn't as much of a rush as it may seem, we've been planning this for a while and we keep having to move the date farther back, It's been over a year. I understand waiting is a part of this life, which is why I'm not scared or really that worried about waiting for him in Japan. I took Japanese classes for 4 years so I do know some of the language enough to not be so uncomfortable, I already know some of the differences between the culture as well. Are there no answers to the questions I asked?
It isn't so much a point of the time you waited.

It is that your fiancé accepted or was given an overseas assignment and he must be the one and only one to make it right so that you can marry and stay there. He has to be the one to get permission of his commander, he has to be the one to make legal, personnel, and logistical arrangements; it is all on him. Not you.

And you deserve that he do so. if he cannot pull that off on his own then he needs to relook his wherewithal before he marries. Simply that.

Spoken as a former platoon leader who had to step in and rescue more than one young wife and new baby whose husband did not do things properly. As a company commander who refused command sponsorship for several junior enlisted for one good reason after another. Anyone who has served with troops overseas knows the back stories I am not going into.

Let him do it correctly in whatever time it takes so that this can be a successful event in your lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

890 posts, read 1,415,133 times
Is he stationed at Yokosuka, Sasebo or is he actually in Okinawa?

I've been to Yokosuka NB many times, but it's been years. I don't think it is as pricey to live off base in that area than it would be in the Tokyo metro area. The process of obtaining housing (an apartment) is a lot more complicated than it is in the U.S., and even setting up utilities can be a task. You definitely wouldn't be able to live on base, and until you are actually married, I think your stay in Japan would be limited to 90 days.

I think it would be better to wait until March. Either way, I wish you luck.

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

4,816 posts, read 2,259,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope45320918 View Post
This isn't as much of a rush as it may seem, we've been planning this for a while and we keep having to move the date farther back, It's been over a year. I understand waiting is a part of this life, which is why I'm not scared or really that worried about waiting for him in Japan. I took Japanese classes for 4 years so I do know some of the language enough to not be so uncomfortable, I already know some of the differences between the culture as well. Are there no answers to the questions I asked?
Well, OK. Since you've been waiting a while, has your fiance already discussed his wedding plans with his command? What have they told him about getting command sponsorship for you after you get married? How will that affect his enlistment term? What do they have to say about how long it will take to get housing benefits set up?

His command is really the place you guys need to start. They'll be able to advise him about the best timing for your marriage, the process for you to get sponsored, and the timeline for applying for and receiving housing benefits.

Your fiance may have already done all of this, so forgive me if I am being redundant with what you already know or he has already done. But, his command is really the best place to seek the answers to the questions you and he have about getting married, getting command sponsorship, and receiving housing benefits.

Good luck, and best wishes to you and your fiance!

Last edited by RosieSD; Yesterday at 02:33 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM

482 posts, read 140,255 times
I’m still just wondering where you live that would make Japan up there. Are you in Australia? Hong Kong?

Old Today, 12:21 AM

33,087 posts, read 34,790,262 times
Possibly Philippines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues