U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2017, 11:27 PM

12 posts, read 6,182 times

Advertisements

I know that they're nothing like in the movie and a gunshot is still very much audible even with one, but does anyone in the military use them? Given that they are still very loud with them, what is the point of anyone using them at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 09:00 AM

23,038 posts, read 35,368,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
I know that they're nothing like in the movie and a gunshot is still very much audible even with one, but does anyone in the military use them? Given that they are still very loud with them, what is the point of anyone using them at all?
I saw a demonstration of "weapons suppressors" over 20 years ago on the M-14.

From article, worth reading: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...field-tactics/

The new stealth infantry: How suppressors will change battlefield tactics
By: Todd South   June 26, 2017

Quote:
Weapons suppressors are not silencers like those in movies, where a whisper of sound puffs out of an assassin's gun. Instead, the devices decrease but do not eliminate the bang and sonic crack of high-powered rifle rounds.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:33 AM

8,838 posts, read 13,979,215 times
Of course they do.

Corps Wants to Put Silencers on a Whole Infantry Battalion | Military.com

Old 11-21-2017, 10:46 AM

15,476 posts, read 7,877,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
When you think about it, it's rather surprising that it's taken this long or that anyone pushes against it.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:33 PM

607 posts, read 311,901 times
To the OP, yes special operations has used suppressors for a very long time, not just for the reduced sound. They also greatly reduce the recoil of rifles, which helps increase accuracy at long range, and helps with fatigue. Muzzle brakes do the same thing, but they direct and concentrate the sound back towards the operator. I recently had the privilege to speak to a Marine the other day who has some serious hearing loss due to firing his M4 in close quarters situations in Iraq. Shooting from small rooms bounced and concentrated the sound waves. He complained that "foamies" they were issued dropped out of their ears, and lots of Marines in his unit just went without. He also said that not being able to hear while fighting in an urban environment was nerve wracking.

I have "tried out" a couple of rifles with suppressors, and it does help reduce the sound. That being said, they are extremely impractical, unless they are integrated into the barrel from the factory. For a rifle, most are about 6 inches long, which makes the rifle harder to maneuver.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:37 PM

4,216 posts, read 1,579,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
To the OP, yes special operations has used suppressors for a very long time, not just for the reduced sound. They also greatly reduce the recoil of rifles, which helps increase accuracy at long range, and helps with fatigue. Muzzle brakes do the same thing, but they direct and concentrate the sound back towards the operator. I recently had the privilege to speak to a Marine the other day who has some serious hearing loss due to firing his M4 in close quarters situations in Iraq. Shooting from small rooms bounced and concentrated the sound waves. He complained that "foamies" they were issued dropped out of their ears, and lots of Marines in his unit just went without. He also said that not being able to hear while fighting in an urban environment was nerve wracking.

I have "tried out" a couple of rifles with suppressors, and it does help reduce the sound. That being said, they are extremely impractical, unless they are integrated into the barrel from the factory. For a rifle, most are about 6 inches long, which makes the rifle harder to maneuver.
Couldn't the military order integrated silencers on their weapons? Or retrofit them in a machine shop?

Old 11-21-2017, 06:25 PM

3,742 posts, read 5,484,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Couldn't the military order integrated silencers on their weapons? Or retrofit them in a machine shop?
Yeah they can pretty much do what they need to do for the mission.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:59 PM

4,216 posts, read 1,579,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Yeah they can pretty much do what they need to do for the mission.
But they don't, why is that?

Old 11-21-2017, 07:01 PM

3,742 posts, read 5,484,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
But they don't, why is that?
Maybe they do but dont advertise it? I dont know other than that.

Old Today, 02:00 PM

4,722 posts, read 2,289,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
When you think about it, it's rather surprising that it's taken this long or that anyone pushes against it.
That was my thought as well. The only thing that I can figure is cost and the basic tactic consisted of putting out fire and noise as a base not so much as a killing force, but for others to use to maneuver. The entire S.L.A. Marshall theory that not given perfect targets riflemen did not fire for suppression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues