U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 05:59 AM

27,699 posts, read 28,367,633 times

Advertisements

For those of you that sadly have a relative who was lost and still listed as missing during any of the wars the USA has participated in, do you honor this person differently than a war casualty whose grave one may visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 08:55 AM

19,996 posts, read 16,511,374 times
I don't visit graves. My mother dragged me along every time she went to see her mother and father and other relatives, so I just don't do it. I went once to see my Mom, Dad and husband shortly after they died and feel no compulsion to go back.

In answer to your question though, my cousin Malcomb has been MIA since WWII. Nobody, as far as I knew, considered him dead. His big brother, Richard, WAS KIA and my aunt and uncle did have a grave to go visit. Richard was talked about in the past tense, so was Malcomb, but it was different. You knew you would never see or talk to Richard but there was always a glimmer of hope when speaking about Malcomb. Even 50, 60 years later, my parents used to talk like he could be found alive and he was living in the jungle with a Philippino wife. Even if they had stopped believing, it was always "in passing" that they mentioned that he was probably dead.

I never met Malcomb, Richard (my mom's cousins), my dad's parents either but they were alive in my heart and brain as if in the flesh. They still are actually. Just like Mom, Dad and husband are still alive to me. Just in a different way.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:23 AM

10,627 posts, read 10,452,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I don't visit graves. My mother dragged me along every time she went to see her mother and father and other relatives, so I just don't do it. I went once to see my Mom, Dad and husband shortly after they died and feel no compulsion to go back.

In answer to your question though, my cousin Malcomb has been MIA since WWII. Nobody, as far as I knew, considered him dead. His big brother, Richard, WAS KIA and my aunt and uncle did have a grave to go visit. Richard was talked about in the past tense, so was Malcomb, but it was different. You knew you would never see or talk to Richard but there was always a glimmer of hope when speaking about Malcomb. Even 50, 60 years later, my parents used to talk like he could be found alive and he was living in the jungle with a Philippino wife. Even if they had stopped believing, it was always "in passing" that they mentioned that he was probably dead.

I never met Malcomb, Richard (my mom's cousins), my dad's parents either but they were alive in my heart and brain as if in the flesh. They still are actually. Just like Mom, Dad and husband are still alive to me. Just in a different way.
Wow, that was intense and deep; are you a writer or something? (I am not being sarcastic)

Old 11-30-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post

Was your cousin Malcomb a POW in the Philippines during WW2?

Old 11-30-2017, 04:26 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,467,796 times
Do they continue to pay what or whomever in the case of a MIA?

Old 12-01-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Do they continue to pay what or whomever in the case of a MIA?
I don't know. But a better question is are there pension benefits of any kind and if there is back pay who does it go to if the person was single and his parents and siblings are all deceased but he has several nieces & nephews (or grand-nieces/nephews)? Also if the person's remains are eventually identified (due to new DNA technology which wasn't available at the time of them going MIA), does the military pay for a military funeral or reinternment expenses?

Old 12-01-2017, 07:30 AM

4,761 posts, read 2,325,253 times
Basically the US DOD updates the status yearly to see if the service member remains MIA and thus his family receives pay and he is promoted with his peers or he is presumed dead.
CHAPTER 34
DoD 7000.14-R

Old 12-01-2017, 10:27 AM

19,996 posts, read 16,511,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Wow, that was intense and deep; are you a writer or something? (I am not being sarcastic)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Was your cousin Malcomb a POW in the Philippines during WW2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't know. But a better question is are there pension benefits of any kind and if there is back pay who does it go to if the person was single and his parents and siblings are all deceased but he has several nieces & nephews (or grand-nieces/nephews)? Also if the person's remains are eventually identified (due to new DNA technology which wasn't available at the time of them going MIA), does the military pay for a military funeral or reinternment expenses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Basically the US DOD updates the status yearly to see if the service member remains MIA and thus his family receives pay and he is promoted with his peers or he is presumed dead.
CHAPTER 34
DoD 7000.14-R
Lol, thanks, boxes, no, I just wrote that from my heart.

No, Chava, he was a Col. in the USAF and piloting a Red Cross plane over the Philippines and the Japenese shot his plane down. Neither he nor any of his crew were found. That big red cross was meant as a target you know. No traces of any of them were found. My dad was over in the Philippines in the Navy and he told us that the jungles were so much and so thick, that he wasn't surprised that none of them were ever found. Not even the plane!!! Remember that Japenese soldier they found in a cave who thought the war was still going on? I thought about Malcolmb doing that too!!!

IDK anything about benefits. I wasn't born until 1953 but "knew" Malcomb from my family talking about him.

Malcomb has been classified as KIA now.

Old Today, 05:54 AM

Remains of N.J. soldier missing in Korean War finally identified | lehighvalleylive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues