U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 10:39 AM

13,514 posts, read 7,344,738 times

Advertisements

All I know is that once I left the pattern on a long, cross country flight my ex-wife would automatically announce, "I have to pee". No facilities, on little GA airplanes. I gave her a box of adult diapers at one point, and she didn't speak to me for days, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 11:56 AM

14,618 posts, read 6,722,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
Relieving yourself on long flights/overseas missions in F-4s was a little more complex. Most guys had to disconnect unstrap the lower part of the parachute harness to really get "free to pee." It was a very uncomfortable feeling (for me anyway).

Walessp
In the early 90s an F-16 was lost because the pilot completely unbuckled his lap belt, and pushed it to the right clear of the seat, up against the sidestick controller. He then raised or lowered the seat for a better position, and when he was done, returned the seat to it's original height. As he did that, the buckle pressed hard against the stick, resulting in a very rapid roll rate which could not be countered by pulling against the stick. Result: Pilot ejected at a fairly high altitude (it's not stated whether he suffered frostbite on a delicate part, or if it was stowed) and a $40M aircraft was lost. After that, every time we received egress training (every six months) that was emphasized, though no one actually had to demonstrate how to use the Piddle Pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues