U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 10:10 AM

3,833 posts, read 2,897,741 times

Advertisements

There really wasn't much historical accuracy in MASH. It was mostly a thinly veiled political satire of the Vietnam War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 11:28 AM

13,296 posts, read 7,277,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
There really wasn't much historical accuracy in MASH. It was mostly a thinly veiled political satire of the Vietnam War.
Exactly. I liked the series when McLean Stevenson, and Wayne Rogers were on the show, but after they left it just became almost unbearable for me at least. Then when Larry Linville left it was unwatchable. I never liked Mike Farrell. The show became very "preachy".

Old 12-16-2017, 12:21 PM

973 posts, read 351,999 times
I'm a fan of M*A*S*H after it aired the first time since I didn't watch then. I watch reruns whenever I can find them because I accept the show for what it was........entertainment not a documentary. Nothing more or less.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:40 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,139,843 times
Quote:
MASH is about as historically accurate as Gomer Pyle USMC is, although I consider MASH to be much more anti-military. To this day I can't stomach watching it.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:46 PM

4,928 posts, read 3,129,832 times
I've had South Korean friends ask me why so many Americans think that their country is dirt poor, when in fact it is a prosperous First World country that is in some ways more advanced than our own. I tell them about M*A*S*H, and how influential it was in its day, and how it was the one and only basis for most people's "knowledge" about South Korea.

I don't think it's nearly as big of a deal now, but for the longest time, it really did cement the general American public's image of what South Korea was like.

I'm not in any position to comment on the show's accuracy, but I've always assumed that the level of insubordination that the doctors engaged in would not have been tolerated in a real Army unit, not even a mobile surgical hospital.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:31 PM

2,746 posts, read 1,207,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've had South Korean friends ask me why so many Americans think that their country is dirt poor, when in fact it is a prosperous First World country that is in some ways more advanced than our own. I tell them about M*A*S*H, and how influential it was in its day, and how it was the one and only basis for most people's "knowledge" about South Korea.

I don't think it's nearly as big of a deal now, but for the longest time, it really did cement the general American public's image of what South Korea was like.

I'm not in any position to comment on the show's accuracy, but I've always assumed that the level of insubordination that the doctors engaged in would not have been tolerated in a real Army unit, not even a mobile surgical hospital.
Korea's come a long ways since the 50's economically. Or at least S. Korea has. In the early 50's you've got recovery from a brutal Japanese occupation and a civil war.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:09 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,484,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
MASH is about as historically accurate as Gomer Pyle USMC is, although I consider MASH to be much more anti-military. To this day I can't stomach watching it.
You are right. You and I have almost similar paths and I can tell you exactly what date when was the first time I had a civilian out of the blue come up and thank me for what I do. It was September 19 2001. From the year 1987 to that date I would be out in my state on the road visiting different armories and maintenance facilities in uniform just like that day. It was as if I didn't even exist.

Don't get me wrong. I did it knowing full well what it all meant right up to the last day. I have no regrets and didn't really need the thank you but. I certainly did grow up with friends who served and never came back and those that did were wise to walk with blinders on. The protest was just misplaced a bit. When an entire nation is in charge of throwing the dart it is pretty hard to know how it is going to fly.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:40 PM

29,920 posts, read 34,517,946 times
Did you see the original Movie before the series? It was much funnier with adult dark humor.,

If you did you'll understand the theme song "Suicide is Painless".

Those 50's early Bubble eyed Bell Hellicopters were fairly accurate and original

Old 12-16-2017, 08:23 PM

20,862 posts, read 22,433,523 times
Quote:
Yes. I remember at the time it aired reading they wanted to do a show about Vietnam but it wouldn’t have gotten by the censors so they pushed back the time to the Korean War.

My sister’s former boyfriend was an MP in Vietnam in a MASH unit. His job was to guard the perimeter using a trained dog. He said he had more trouble keeping the doctors in than the enemy out due to a very similar state of inebriation as seen on the TV show. Nothing funny about it though. He returned to the States with PTSD.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:21 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,424,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Actually, the second peacetime draft began with passage of the Selective Service Act of 1948 after the Selective Training and Service Act expired. The new law required all men, ages 18 to 26, to register. It also created the system for the "Doctor Draft" aimed at inducting health professionals into military service. Unless otherwise exempted or deferred, these men could be called for up to 21 months of active duty and five years of reserve duty service.

The behavior depicted by the show is/was not completely unrepresentative of the attitudes and actions that could be expected from relatively 'high status' individuals conscripted (drafted) into service, knowing that their skills and qualifications were of such value to the military that it would be unlikely (except in severely egregious cases) that they would be prosecuted under the UCMJ, because any convictions would result in their removal from a situation in which they did not want to be anyway. The military wanted them there more than they wanted to be there, which would have afforded them greater latitude than that afforded to lower ranked and less 'valued' soldiers. In other words, the more they need you, the more crap you can get away with.

Though I was a 'Cold Warrior' and a volunteer, I had certain skills and experience and a status that were highly valued, and this allowed me to 'get away with' stuff that would have seen others court-martialed and sentenced to Leavenworth. Although threatened with such on more than one occasion, all that resulted was a 'stern talking to' and no written records in my file. As draftees, the M*A*S*H* doctors would certainly have enjoyed a greater tolerance for impudence and 'conduct unbecoming'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or