U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 11:14 PM

8,868 posts, read 7,350,424 times

Advertisements

I did see the original movie and it was blatantly an anti-Vietnam movie trying to disguise itself as being Korea. I generally give a pass to comedies because they take the most common things and make a gross caricature of them. Bad food, by the book officers, disgruntled draftees, homemade booze by alcoholics, incompetent officers, corrupt officers, and the list goes on. Though I wasnít in the Army, I did see some examples of the things I saw in MASH. There was bad food but it wasnít always bad. There were some by the book junior officers who were pretty stupid and some pretty laid back officers who didnít really care. Though we werenít drafted, many enlisted and officers were disgruntled. The alcoholics in the engine room would regularly brew their own booze in the bilges using yeast, fruit, and sealed containers stored in the bilges to keep the temperature just right. These alcoholics would then strain the stuff by pouring it over an old rag before drinking. Yes, some of the officers were among those doing the drinking. There were some officers and enlisted who were corrrupt. Not talking about the usual horse trading that went on, ďif you get me this then Iíll get you thatĒ type exchanges. Iím talking about people selling military equipment off base or trading favors for cash in ways that could be a felony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 12:12 PM

10,408 posts, read 7,492,263 times
I guess "Army Chaplain" and Jesuits never entered my mind at the same time. Chaplains come in all denominations.

I think, with so many things, TV/movie/Hollywood portrayal is more of a caricature of what's real. Yes, absolutely, military people have outrageous fun doing things that cause others to frown in disapproval (like drawing giant penises in the sky with your handy-dandy strap on weapons system). Like having steel beach picnics after being on the carrier for 100 days. Like Shellback rituals that are nothing more than hazing but they all go through it willingly to earn the title and be able to terrorize future Wogs. Like "zap RF" graffiti on base features all over the planet because - well, we could. Like official drivers of military transport wearing cowboy boots with camouflage so he can park the bus and go party with everyone else. Like photo recon aircraft taking pictures of a line of mechanics mooning them on the flightline just cuz it's cool. It goes on and on.

I think the older junior troops are either late-comers or dirt bags. Not sure about Korean war but let's face it. Today's 18yr olds playing bullet stopper on the beaches of Normandy just doesn't seem realistic, though I give them all credit for the crap they went through in the middle east fiasco.

Lots of history tells the tales of the foolishness of combat troops. Stuff we could get burned for big time but get away with because that's what "brothers" do. (and sisters)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or