U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 09:04 AM

8,660 posts, read 7,094,793 times

Advertisements

Been watching classic episodes of MASH. Something I noticed is they had the oldest junior enlisted soldiers. For those who served in that era, what things about this show you felt were accurate or totally wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 09:13 AM

23,751 posts, read 38,033,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Been watching classic episodes of MASH. Something I noticed is they had the oldest junior enlisted soldiers. For those who served in that era, what things about this show you felt were accurate or totally wrong?
I did not serve in ROK during that era, however I did serve two tours in in 1972 and 1984.

The TV series was all filmed in California...

Old 12-15-2017, 09:20 AM

258 posts, read 179,182 times
I'm thinking the real soldiers who served in Korea did not have anyway near so much fun.

Walessp

Old 12-15-2017, 09:25 AM

11,808 posts, read 6,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
I'm thinking the real soldiers who served in Korea did not have anyway near so much fun.

Walessp
Ironically Allan Alda served as a U.S. Army gunnery officer during the Korean War.

https://www.military.com/veteran-job...alan-alda.html

Old 12-15-2017, 03:20 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,350,421 times
as a member of 502nd M*A*S*H can't say there were any similarities - well, maybe there was.....we had our share of loose women, officious pricks like Frank Burns, and a physician or two who got themselves in trouble.

https://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_...773.chap3.html

Old 12-15-2017, 03:48 PM

3,328 posts, read 1,332,045 times
Default A lack of knowlege of the materiel, I suppose

I've always thought Fr. Mulcahy was an odd person in MASH. The Jesuits I've known were much more worldly than the Mulcahy portrayal. (Plus, there were no Jesuits in Korea until after the Korean war - see World History Connected | Vol. 10 No. 3 | Franklin D. Rausch: The Jesuits in Korea: Influence without Presence - although the Jesuits were active in Japan & China - Asia generally, practically from their founding in 1540)

More typical of the Jesuits would have been that Mulcahy would have learned Korean (& maybe Japanese & Chinese - the major dialect, @ least) - the Jesuits were (are still?) linguists & sociologists & translators & teachers & whatever other requirements there might be. Very bright, & I would have thought that Fr. Mulcahy would have smoked cigars, drunk scotch & been an excellent poker player.

I've read that Mulcahy was supposed to be a quirkier version than the priest in the original movie. I think they could have gone with a better understanding of the Jesuits, but MASH was a kind of comedy/satire. & so let it go - but it was a teachable moment.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:12 PM

801 posts, read 353,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I had a Korean friend in college backs in the 80s. His parents were in Korea during that conflict and moved to the USA. They both did not like M.A.S.H. They complained it was too fake. I was an 80s teen, and my friend was very Americanized. He did not really speak Korean - mostly English. But his parents were from that era - South Koreans who escaped the aftermath of war.

As for me, I was a big fan of the comedy. Off the top of my memory I recall some great scenes:
* Colonel Flag banging his head into a wooden box to fake an injury
* Colonel Flag escaping like the "wind" by diving through the window when Pierce says "The wind broke its leg".
* Hullahan: "Get your married face out of here Frank."
* Klinger dressed as the Statue of Liberty for McAurther's visit.
* Klinger building a weird gyroplane to fly away - Trapper said "Did you guys see that big ugly bird?"
* Father Mulcahy getting drunk at an anti-binge drinking sermon - "Did I ever tell you about the prodigal son?"

I had relatives who served in that war long before I was born. They said it was hell and suffered badly from PTSD.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:56 PM

5,558 posts, read 2,903,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
I've always thought Fr. Mulcahy was an odd person in MASH. The Jesuits I've known were much more worldly than the Mulcahy portrayal. (Plus, there were no Jesuits in Korea until after the Korean war - see World History Connected | Vol. 10 No. 3 | Franklin D. Rausch: The Jesuits in Korea: Influence without Presence - although the Jesuits were active in Japan & China - Asia generally, practically from their founding in 1540)

More typical of the Jesuits would have been that Mulcahy would have learned Korean (& maybe Japanese & Chinese - the major dialect, @ least) - the Jesuits were (are still?) linguists & sociologists & translators & teachers & whatever other requirements there might be. Very bright, & I would have thought that Fr. Mulcahy would have smoked cigars, drunk scotch & been an excellent poker player.

I've read that Mulcahy was supposed to be a quirkier version than the priest in the original movie. I think they could have gone with a better understanding of the Jesuits, but MASH was a kind of comedy/satire. & so let it go - but it was a teachable moment.
I may be missing something because of a lack of knowledge about Catholic Church organization but Father Mulcahy was also a US Army Chaplin.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:09 AM

4,636 posts, read 4,352,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I may be missing something because of a lack of knowledge about Catholic Church organization but Father Mulcahy was also a US Army Chaplin.
Taiko I quite agree with you. Just because he was Jesuit he was first and foremost an army chaplain. I remember him having some skill with the language in the show as he was involved with orphanages in the area the unit was based at.

An army chaplain can be of any religion. They must though be able to perform services in all religions. I have served with two Jewish chaplains, a chaplain who was Islamic and countless Christian sects to include a Jesuit as well.

Christian Koreans also by in large follow aspects of Buddhism as well. They might not go through all the motions as a Buddhist but family traditions are followed and many of them have Buddhist beginnings. This I know as a soldier who married a South Korean woman and adopted her entire family or rather they adopted me LOL.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:13 AM

3,328 posts, read 1,332,045 times
Default A much wider perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Yah, that's one of the things that's weird about Fr. Mulcahy (the portrayal). The Jesuits have a very long history in Asia, including Japan & China. Outside of purely military (& medical) matters, Mulcahy should have had the best preparation for serving in Korea - culture, language, indigenous religions, customs - if only from internal Jesuit documentation & libraries & etc.

Yes, towards the middle of the show's run, Mulcahy turns out to have learned some of the culture, local marriage customs, attitudes towards foreigners, attitudes towards mixed-race babies, Korean language. To me, it's odd that he didn't have the language down before he ever got there, @ least the survival version - & steadily improved performance in the language (lots of opportunities to practice, & practical reasons to do so).

Yah, his function on base was Army Chaplin. But the Jesuits are expected to take advantage of every opportunity to study & learn. Korea had to have been a logical follow-on to the work the order had done throughout Asia, & looking through the history, apparently the first Korean converts to Christianity sought out Jesuit missionary priests in China to study with & join the religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or