Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,089 times

Advertisements

I am a single 30 year old female (no children) with a Bachelors degree and a year of law school. I left law school a year and a half ago and I am now a substitute teacher. I won't lie in saying I am feeling a little down with the lack of career accomplishments. I was talking to a police officer and he told me that I should join the service. I thought it a great idea and I am talking to all branches except Marines because I am too old now to join. I am making sure I get all my information before I make such a big decision. I told my family and they are against it and not supported about me wanting to join (THEY ARE INSISTENT that I am taking steps backwards, am I?). I am feeling a little conflicted. I want to join, I certainly want to complete my education and finally be on a career path. I am hearing both sides of the good and bad and was wondering if anyone can give me their opinion and/or similar situation? Of course I want to support my country (since I really wanted to join after high school but parents put a stop to it), and also utilize all the benefits the military has to offer (medical, school, bonuses, etc.) BUT mostly I want to make such that this will set me off on a career path.

Last edited by DMONAH2; 12-15-2017 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 03:51 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,055,164 times
Unless you finish school and get a direct commission to the JAG corps, don't even bother. You won't like it and nobody likes working with folks that are pissed off all the time. Even if you do a direct commission, you probably won't like it.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:51 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,863,125 times
I loved being in the military.

Each person's experience will vary from someone else. Your mileage will vary

I was in the air force/air national guard and loved every second of it.

I have a BA myself and many I served with were college educated, students or had plans to be.

You may run into trouble with age. I have no idea what it is but your probably getting near the age limit.

There are 2 major considerations. The military is essentially divided into enlisted members and officers (I'm ignoring warrant officers for this)

Officers as one of many requirements have to have a degree. They are the entrusted to lead, manage etc the enlisted members

The enlisted can be anyone from high school graduates to someone with a master's degree. They are typically the ones doing most of the work.

Seeing as you are already into law school you should explore options to become a JAG type person. They are officers as too. So they have a higher rank, pay etc..

Typically officer recruiters are separate from enlisted recruiters so maybe try to talk to an officer recruiter and see where you stand.

I would hardly consider the military a step backwards. Especially as an officer. Your total compensation package as a military officer can be quite nice especially if you are in the military for the right reasons and want to serve your country and do something that matters.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:53 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Unless you finish school and get a direct commission to the JAG corps, don't even bother. You won't like it and nobody likes working with folks that are pissed off all the time. Even if you do a direct commission, you probably won't like it.
WOW. Lot of assumptions made here.

OP- google Air Force FLEP for law school funding options.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:55 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
OP, I'm pushing 40, have a masters degree, and I am enlisted. I LOVE IT. I wouldn't have it any other way. Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:28 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Quote:
I agree.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:29 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
OP, I'm pushing 40, have a masters degree, and I am enlisted. I LOVE IT. I wouldn't have it any other way. Good luck with your decision.
You are copping out from the real world but if you enjoy it, power to you.

I do thank you for your service.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:34 PM

269 posts, read 246,911 times
OP: the military is an awesome experience and awesome lifestyle. It can and will open doors for you both in the service and beyond if you are interested in federal employment afterwards. The US gov't is a very solid employer with great pay and great benefits and you can serve worldwide of course.

Back to your primary question, I disagree with your family regarding it being a step backwards. The military can definitley put you on a solid career path in several very important specialties, not just law/JAG as other have mentioned. Intel fields and those surrounding law enforcement are huge within the service right now and many qualify service members for very fulfilling carrers beyond the service. There are numerous other exciting and expanding fields including our space and cyber missions which are expanding and also have mirror specialties in the civilian sector, so military experience in these is worth a lot.

As others have said, at 30 you should make a move if you're going to do it since I believe you are reaching maximum ages to join, though age limits may be expanded now as the services are recruiting hard to meet increased end strength. I am retired Air Force and would recommend that branch for a variety of reasons. I understand, and believe it is easier to get (join with) a commission in the Army than the Air Force and a commission will be a better option as the pay is better and opportunities far greater for officers in my opinion. It may be a big personal challenge to join any service as an enlisted troop at 30 years old. It can be done, but it would be emotionally very challenging for most people that age. I joined as an enlisted troop at 18 (later I got a BA and then a master's degree and was lucky enough to be selected for a commission). At a young age, I think we are more inclined to take a lot of guff which you will have to do esp as a lower ranking enlisted troop. That being said, serving in the military, whether enlisted or officer is an extremely fulfilling experience for most. But, most of us recall our worst times and greatest struggles as our best memories.

Don't rule out joining as a reseve member. Once you complete training, you can volunteer for Active Duty tours many for 6 months or a year. In the reserve it is not to hard to stay in for 20 years to get the retirement and during those 20 years you will certainly travel a great deal and have many opportunities for varied types of service. The reserve is a great way to serve. But, it wiil be greatly to your benefit if you can join with a commission (as an offiicer).

Old 12-16-2017, 06:23 AM

745 posts, read 479,597 times
Quote:
You make no sense at all. Do you know the OP? How do you know what she might like and won't like?

Old 12-16-2017, 06:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMONAH2 View Post
I am a single 30 year old female (no children) with a Bachelors degree and a year of law school. I left law school a year and a half ago and I am now a substitute teacher. I won't lie in saying I am feeling a little down with the lack of career accomplishments. I was talking to a police officer and he told me that I should join the service. I thought it a great idea and I am talking to all branches except Marines because I am too old now to join. I am making sure I get all my information before I make such a big decision. I told my family and they are against it and not supported about me wanting to join (THEY ARE INSISTENT that I am taking steps backwards, am I?). I am feeling a little conflicted. I want to join, I certainly want to complete my education and finally be on a career path. I am hearing both sides of the good and bad and was wondering if anyone can give me their opinion and/or similar situation? Of course I want to support my country (since I really wanted to join after high school but parents put a stop to it), and also utilize all the benefits the military has to offer (medical, school, bonuses, etc.) BUT mostly I want to make such that this will set me off on a career path.
It seems to me that you have already started on a path. Law school is 3 years, you are a third of way finished. Why stop now?

I think that if the military interests you....you might look into whether you can become part of the military legal team....if you cannot be promised that then I agree you are starting at square one. If you are thinking military as a way to pay for your remaining 2 years of law, there are other opportunities on which to continue to build on the law school education you have already completed. See links below.

If you find that is the case, why not continue law and specialize in Vet. issues and look at opportunities to sign on to temp. Gov't service that will pay for your remaining legal education. It may require you transferring, but that will also afford you an opportunity to experience life away from the family, and independent.

You can an many things with a JD.

https://www.stthomas.edu/law/careerc...ithalawdegree/

I've posted a few of the many links below regarding public service commitment and possible grant funding towards a law degree.. Also, consider the many diverse areas of law which might coorelate with public service.

https://www.collegegrant.net/law-school-grants/

https://www.scholarshipsforwomen.net/law/

https://www.lsac.org/docs/default-so...d-brochure.pdf

https://lib.law.washington.edu/content/guides/grant

Public Interest & Government

Then check out websites that offer info. on specific Gov't fields, or populations. For instance, EPA, Public Health, Native American, Immigration, Energy/Oil etc. Just a few examples after researching grant opportunities in public health. Search the others, there are funding opportunities in almost any field of govt.

https://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degr...yAAEgKusPD_BwE

https://www.law.umich.edu/careers/pr...onoPledge.aspx

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/su5502a11.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/grants/index.html

Last edited by JanND; 12-16-2017 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: text edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues