U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 07:28 AM

7,845 posts, read 6,315,362 times

Advertisements

My dad got one of these when he was in the Navy in Vietnam. He’s since passed away and my mom is fighting breast cancer. She still has this in her home. In this era of hyper sensitivity, what would be a good proceedure should I wish to transport this item through the mail or in travel? Should I contact the police for advice or certification it isn’t a real explosive device? Someone familiar with grenades could tell in an instant it isn’t a real grenade but the majority of airport and package delivery personnel would only see “grenade” and all hell could break loose with me being arrested and questioned by the police and or FBI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:00 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,600,341 times
I don’t believe you will be able to explain it to airport security. Trying to do so is most likely going to ruin your day.

Old Today, 08:11 AM

7,845 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I don’t believe you will be able to explain it to airport security. Trying to do so is most likely going to ruin your day.
That’s why I’m asking for help now before I decide to travel with it in a checked in bag or through the mail.

Old Today, 09:17 AM

23,084 posts, read 35,677,101 times
Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail
https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_011.htm

434 Replica or Inert Explosive Devices

Replica or inert explosive devices that are not dangerous, but that bear a realistic appearance to explosive devices such as simulated grenades, are permitted in the mail when all of the following conditions are met:
A. The package is presented by the mailer at a retail counter.

B. Registered Mail service is used. (Registered Mail service is only available for items mailed as First-Class Mail or Priority Mail.)

C. The address side of the package is labeled with “REPLICA EXPLOSIVE” using at least 20-point type or letters at least 1/4-inch high.

You might also check with UPS or Fed-Ex.

Old Today, 10:33 AM

8,890 posts, read 14,154,130 times
Your local police aren't going to do anything for you other than to refer you to the local post master.

Old Today, 11:19 AM

8,819 posts, read 6,065,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail
https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_011.htm

434 Replica or Inert Explosive Devices

Replica or inert explosive devices that are not dangerous, but that bear a realistic appearance to explosive devices such as simulated grenades, are permitted in the mail when all of the following conditions are met:
A. The package is presented by the mailer at a retail counter.

B. Registered Mail service is used. (Registered Mail service is only available for items mailed as First-Class Mail or Priority Mail.)

C. The address side of the package is labeled with “REPLICA EXPLOSIVE” using at least 20-point type or letters at least 1/4-inch high.
You might also check with UPS or Fed-Ex.
Seems sensible! You're right to be cautious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues