U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 08:23 PM

8,422 posts, read 6,875,612 times

Advertisements

1990 Orlando Florida Navy boot camp.

Seaman Dunaway tried to escape. He was caught and returned. His name was now Dunaway Runaway

Was waiting on the sidewalk outside the barracks with a group of guys waiting to be punished with exercises. Company commander comes outside and announces he was waiting for us to have an audience. We were really nervous thinking some Captain or Admiral was going to show up. One lone squirrel climbed down the tree, walked to the edge of the sidewalk, and started eating acorns while watching us. He then announced, “ I see we now have an audience. We can begin.” That damn squirrel stayed there watching us the whole time.

We hadn’t earned the right to use the recreation room. But we did occasionally earned the right to be punished in that room. Company commander told us he was going to cycle (punish through exercise) us until it rained in the room. We thought he was crazy. We sweat so much it was condensating off the ceiling. Then we could stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 12:47 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,851,363 times
Very early in Basic Training (possibly the 3rd or 4th day) 1985 we were broken into smaller groups and were sitting in a circle with our Drill Sgt in the middle giving a lecture.

The guy sitting next to me fell asleep. Everyone started shifting away from him so we wouldn't be near the idiot. The DS began "talking" to the idiot, getting closer to him and ramping up the volume.

Soon he was shouting "Private! Am I bothering you?! Private! Do you already know the information I am imparting to you?". The boy slept on and we were now openly moving further and further away from him. The DS leaned down right in his face and shouted "Wake up!", He finally woke up and looked around in a daze and only had a moment to actually wake up before he was dropped for 50 pushups, 50 mountain climbers and 50 front back goes.

This idiot was in trouble until the day we graduated from AIT. I know exactly what happened with that boy 32 years after Basic. I married the idiot (I don't even want to know what that makes me...).

Old 12-26-2017, 07:59 AM

7,585 posts, read 6,201,556 times
Skinhead, skinhead,
Do not feel blue,
My recruiter screwed me too.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:09 AM

5,000 posts, read 2,605,954 times
I'm having a hard time coming up with anything funny about Marine Corps boot camp in 1973.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:13 AM

11,376 posts, read 6,507,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm having a hard time coming up with anything funny about Marine Corps boot camp in 1973.
Full Metal Jacket, huh?

Old 12-26-2017, 10:39 AM

4,601 posts, read 4,239,325 times
Actually I have one and it is on me. You see it is like this.

A New Englander and Maine-ac as well taking basic training in Augusta Georgia February 1976. 19 years old and very skinny for a 5' 6" frame. I came in at a whopping 118lbs and left BCT topping the scale at 155lbs. I scored max on my 5 event APFT. So basically once I got into the rhythm I kind of became a mean machine. I actually liked it when we would all of a sudden for no reason than to just do them drop on the side of the road and push up or sit up or whatever.

Well the funny part of this story is one day while standing in the line for dinner one day late in BCT probably 7th week my ADI SSG Puckette from somewhere in Georgia had been watching me pretty closely during that time as you know these DI's are your mommy and daddy. Anyway he said on this occasion "My last name, hmmm that's a yankee name ain't it?" I promptly came to the position of attention and said proudly. Yup Drill Sargent I'm a damned yankee" With a smile! I was expecting 50 push-ups but nope. I got to watch TV. Toes and elbows on the gravel road between the buildings. I believe I was there 10 minutes planking. By the time I got to recover I was starting to actually shake. I deserved it and I took the punishment.

I actually had a blast in my BCT.

Last edited by oldsoldier1976; 12-26-2017 at 10:53 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 02:13 PM

2,644 posts, read 1,588,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Very early in Basic Training (possibly the 3rd or 4th day) 1985 we were broken into smaller groups and were sitting in a circle with our Drill Sgt in the middle giving a lecture.

The guy sitting next to me fell asleep. Everyone started shifting away from him so we wouldn't be near the idiot. The DS began "talking" to the idiot, getting closer to him and ramping up the volume.

Soon he was shouting "Private! Am I bothering you?! Private! Do you already know the information I am imparting to you?". The boy slept on and we were now openly moving further and further away from him. The DS leaned down right in his face and shouted "Wake up!", He finally woke up and looked around in a daze and only had a moment to actually wake up before he was dropped for 50 pushups, 50 mountain climbers and 50 front back goes.

This idiot was in trouble until the day we graduated from AIT. I know exactly what happened with that boy 32 years after Basic. I married the idiot (I don't even want to know what that makes me...).
Interesting story Melanie, thanks. Why did it take 32 years?

Old 12-26-2017, 05:31 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,851,363 times
Oh, I didn't explain myself properly. We have been together for 32 years. I could never even claim that I never knew he could be idiotic since I've known him since he was 18!

He knows my stupid traits as well. We have literally grown up together and I know him better than I know my own sister.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:31 PM

2,644 posts, read 1,588,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Oh, I didn't explain myself properly. We have been together for 32 years. I could never even claim that I never knew he could be idiotic since I've known him since he was 18!

He knows my stupid traits as well. We have literally grown up together and I know him better than I know my own sister.
Sound like a happy couple to me.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:46 AM
Status: "I can love you as much as bacon, and I love eating bacon" (set 3 days ago)

207 posts, read 268,884 times
Sept 1987, Ft Bliss, Texas. First day we are in formation in civilian clothes and like a dipsht I had a suitcase. At least I wasn't the only one. Drill Sargent told us that when he blew his whistle, we were to run up the quad as fast as we can but if he heard that whistle before we could assemble at the top, we were to turn around and run back to him because obviously we wasn't running fast enough.
As you would guess, he blew that damn thing just as soon as we got to the top and as soon as he got to him. SO back and forth, back and forth carrying that suitcase. Then one trip back I was running and he blew the whistle but I did not see him move and when I turned around to sprint again I ran smack into him. He went flying, the box of dog tags he was holding went all over and I went over him. Suitcase busts open. It looked like a scene out of some slapstick B movie.

Funny thing, I ran into my old DI in Germany about 4 years later and we had a good laugh about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues