U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 04:35 PM

3,101 posts, read 9,001,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsamadh View Post
Thank you very much for the explanation and the available resources. I agree enough time hasnít passed yet and though the wait is hard, itís playing in my favor as well. What do you think is an acceptable time frame after the DUI to be waiverable for most commander. Also will other circumstances help me out? Ex.) ASVAB score, college degree, letter of recommendations from credible sources. In your opinion, what can I do to better my chances of an approval given my circumstances. Thanks again!
For my commander, usually we wait around 2 years, before asking, but it's totally individual. Same may want it to be ten years, some never.

The circumstances are also a factor. Were you just at .08, or like .12? Any accident/injuries, etc. College degree and recommendations do also help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 07:51 PM

25 posts, read 15,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
For my commander, usually we wait around 2 years, before asking, but it's totally individual. Same may want it to be ten years, some never.

The circumstances are also a factor. Were you just at .08, or like .12? Any accident/injuries, etc. College degree and recommendations do also help.
I took your advice and reached out to another recruiter in a different squadron. He said his commander is reviewing and accepting waivers at this time. He also said he'll ask his supervisor if it makes sense to work with me and he'll reach back out after the holidays.

I blew a .143, no accident, no injuries. First DUI, first arrest, first charge. No tickets or run in with law after that.

I have heard of conditional waivers where they approve you but set a waiting period after to make sure you don't repeat. Any truth to that.

This has been a long, hard road but I put myself in this situation and will do whatever it takes to prove myself.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:

An update and advice needed: I found a recruiter to work with me in a different squadron and his supervisor advised him that I have a good chance to get my waiver approved. However, since my recruiter told me that at the beginning on January, I have not been able to get in contact with my recruiter. I have left a voicemail and a text every week if so since and no response. Does this mean anything? I know he said was very busy and his supervisor has been out of the office but just want to make sure he hasnít forgotten about me. I know he reviewed my waiver but whatís the next step. Iím working on getting another letter of recommendation and awaiting his reponse to get the necessary from the courts. What can I be doing in the meantime to push my packet/waiver forward. Any advice please. Thank you.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:56 AM

It's possible he is in training or vacation, but it's also possible he doesn't want to do your waiver and is blowing you off (sorry!). You could try another text. Sometimes when I am with an applicant I will literally miss a dozen texts and it's easy for them to get buried under a dozen more by the end of the day and get missed.

You still haven't gotten court documents?!?! With waivers, we often will leave this on the applicant. If you are motivated and you get everything, we'll do the waiver. If you're not, we ignore you because you haven't show motivation. Why do you need his response to get the court records? I'm not following. YOU need to get ALLLL the court records related to your offenses before the recruiter can move forward. Police records also help, and are gathered separately from court records. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
It's possible he is in training or vacation, but it's also possible he doesn't want to do your waiver and is blowing you off (sorry!). You could try another text. Sometimes when I am with an applicant I will literally miss a dozen texts and it's easy for them to get buried under a dozen more by the end of the day and get missed.

You still haven't gotten court documents?!?! With waivers, we often will leave this on the applicant. If you are motivated and you get everything, we'll do the waiver. If you're not, we ignore you because you haven't show motivation. Why do you need his response to get the court records? I'm not following. YOU need to get ALLLL the court records related to your offenses before the recruiter can move forward. Police records also help, and are gathered separately from court records. Good luck.
Thank you for your response. After asking around, I found out he is on leave until Friday. Good thing, I thought he was ignoring me. Regarding the documents, I have all the court documents, police reports, etc. However he mentioned I would need a current driving report and to wait for him to start my packet to get this. He briefly looked over my packet and told me to hold off until he tells me exactly what he needs. In the meantime, Iíve been getting letter of recommendations and keeping a clean driving record. What else can I be doing to better my chances and make the waiver easier for my recruiter. If I know exactly what he needs, then I can bring him all the paperwork at once to make it easier for him. Iím willing to put in the work to get whatís needed, so trying to stay ahead of the game.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsamadh View Post
Thank you for your response. After asking around, I found out he is on leave until Friday. Good thing, I thought he was ignoring me. Regarding the documents, I have all the court documents, police reports, etc. However he mentioned I would need a current driving report and to wait for him to start my packet to get this. He briefly looked over my packet and told me to hold off until he tells me exactly what he needs. In the meantime, Iíve been getting letter of recommendations and keeping a clean driving record. What else can I be doing to better my chances and make the waiver easier for my recruiter. If I know exactly what he needs, then I can bring him all the paperwork at once to make it easier for him. Iím willing to put in the work to get whatís needed, so trying to stay ahead of the game.
OK that makes sense. It sounds like you have done everything he needed so good luck!

Old 04-23-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
OK that makes sense. It sounds like you have done everything he needed so good luck!
Update: So I met the recruiter about a month ago, as he lives a few hours away from me, and everything went good. I signed for a credit check and he told me all he had to do was update my driving record in the system. Because the last recruiter did not enter the information correctly (ticket date, offense, etc) and that he would have to get the headquarters in Texas to clear that page and reenter the driving tickets. He told me it would be sent in that next week, however itís been over a month now. I do understand and know how busy recruiters are but now Iím having a hard time getting in contact with him to give me an update if my packet and waiver was sent in to his boss so that I can go onto the next step. I called him two weeks ago and he told me he would send it in that week and now itís been two weeks. Any advice on how to push my packet forward and or reach the recruiter.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:13 PM

3,282 posts, read 782,009 times
Air Force recruiters are notorious for not contacting people back. You might have to try the Army, Navy, or Marines

I had to go up the chain of command on my own recruiter since he never contacted me back, which was about a decade ago.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:02 PM

75 posts, read 38,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Air Force recruiters are notorious for not contacting people back. You might have to try the Army, Navy, or Marines

I had to go up the chain of command on my own recruiter since he never contacted me back, which was about a decade ago.
Bingo.

Air Force recruiters are notorious for ignoring people, blowing people off, reacting slowly, not contacting people back in a timely manner, etc. And I am an Air Force veteran. My son, who was an exceptional recruit (has VERY high ASVAB scores and qualifies for basically every job in the military and has never been in any trouble), got blown off by some Air Force recruiters. He called, left many messages, tried visiting the recruiter in person several times, etc. No contact was returned. So, he walked into a Navy recruiter who got him started the same day. He shipped off and was the number one recruit out of over 700 in boot camp and graduated with distinction in his A school...and the air force didn't have time to return his calls.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:45 PM

3,282 posts, read 782,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
Bingo.

Air Force recruiters are notorious for ignoring people, blowing people off, reacting slowly, not contacting people back in a timely manner, etc. And I am an Air Force veteran. My son, who was an exceptional recruit (has VERY high ASVAB scores and qualifies for basically every job in the military and has never been in any trouble), got blown off by some Air Force recruiters. He called, left many messages, tried visiting the recruiter in person several times, etc. No contact was returned. So, he walked into a Navy recruiter who got him started the same day. He shipped off and was the number one recruit out of over 700 in boot camp and graduated with distinction in his A school...and the air force didn't have time to return his calls.
Bingo.

The air force, I imagine, just doesn't care in general. Hell, you have to recruit them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues