U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2017, 05:35 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,943 posts, read 8,485,671 times
Reputation: 4060

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsamadh View Post
Thank you very much for the explanation and the available resources. I agree enough time hasnít passed yet and though the wait is hard, itís playing in my favor as well. What do you think is an acceptable time frame after the DUI to be waiverable for most commander. Also will other circumstances help me out? Ex.) ASVAB score, college degree, letter of recommendations from credible sources. In your opinion, what can I do to better my chances of an approval given my circumstances. Thanks again!
For my commander, usually we wait around 2 years, before asking, but it's totally individual. Same may want it to be ten years, some never.

The circumstances are also a factor. Were you just at .08, or like .12? Any accident/injuries, etc. College degree and recommendations do also help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2017, 08:51 PM
 
7 posts, read 2,099 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
For my commander, usually we wait around 2 years, before asking, but it's totally individual. Same may want it to be ten years, some never.

The circumstances are also a factor. Were you just at .08, or like .12? Any accident/injuries, etc. College degree and recommendations do also help.
I took your advice and reached out to another recruiter in a different squadron. He said his commander is reviewing and accepting waivers at this time. He also said he'll ask his supervisor if it makes sense to work with me and he'll reach back out after the holidays.

I blew a .143, no accident, no injuries. First DUI, first arrest, first charge. No tickets or run in with law after that.

I have heard of conditional waivers where they approve you but set a waiting period after to make sure you don't repeat. Any truth to that.

This has been a long, hard road but I put myself in this situation and will do whatever it takes to prove myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2018, 10:30 AM
 
7 posts, read 2,099 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
For my commander, usually we wait around 2 years, before asking, but it's totally individual. Same may want it to be ten years, some never.

The circumstances are also a factor. Were you just at .08, or like .12? Any accident/injuries, etc. College degree and recommendations do also help.
An update and advice needed: I found a recruiter to work with me in a different squadron and his supervisor advised him that I have a good chance to get my waiver approved. However, since my recruiter told me that at the beginning on January, I have not been able to get in contact with my recruiter. I have left a voicemail and a text every week if so since and no response. Does this mean anything? I know he said was very busy and his supervisor has been out of the office but just want to make sure he hasnít forgotten about me. I know he reviewed my waiver but whatís the next step. Iím working on getting another letter of recommendation and awaiting his reponse to get the necessary from the courts. What can I be doing in the meantime to push my packet/waiver forward. Any advice please. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,943 posts, read 8,485,671 times
Reputation: 4060
It's possible he is in training or vacation, but it's also possible he doesn't want to do your waiver and is blowing you off (sorry!). You could try another text. Sometimes when I am with an applicant I will literally miss a dozen texts and it's easy for them to get buried under a dozen more by the end of the day and get missed.

You still haven't gotten court documents?!?! With waivers, we often will leave this on the applicant. If you are motivated and you get everything, we'll do the waiver. If you're not, we ignore you because you haven't show motivation. Why do you need his response to get the court records? I'm not following. YOU need to get ALLLL the court records related to your offenses before the recruiter can move forward. Police records also help, and are gathered separately from court records. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM
 
7 posts, read 2,099 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
It's possible he is in training or vacation, but it's also possible he doesn't want to do your waiver and is blowing you off (sorry!). You could try another text. Sometimes when I am with an applicant I will literally miss a dozen texts and it's easy for them to get buried under a dozen more by the end of the day and get missed.

You still haven't gotten court documents?!?! With waivers, we often will leave this on the applicant. If you are motivated and you get everything, we'll do the waiver. If you're not, we ignore you because you haven't show motivation. Why do you need his response to get the court records? I'm not following. YOU need to get ALLLL the court records related to your offenses before the recruiter can move forward. Police records also help, and are gathered separately from court records. Good luck.
Thank you for your response. After asking around, I found out he is on leave until Friday. Good thing, I thought he was ignoring me. Regarding the documents, I have all the court documents, police reports, etc. However he mentioned I would need a current driving report and to wait for him to start my packet to get this. He briefly looked over my packet and told me to hold off until he tells me exactly what he needs. In the meantime, Iíve been getting letter of recommendations and keeping a clean driving record. What else can I be doing to better my chances and make the waiver easier for my recruiter. If I know exactly what he needs, then I can bring him all the paperwork at once to make it easier for him. Iím willing to put in the work to get whatís needed, so trying to stay ahead of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:54 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,943 posts, read 8,485,671 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsamadh View Post
Thank you for your response. After asking around, I found out he is on leave until Friday. Good thing, I thought he was ignoring me. Regarding the documents, I have all the court documents, police reports, etc. However he mentioned I would need a current driving report and to wait for him to start my packet to get this. He briefly looked over my packet and told me to hold off until he tells me exactly what he needs. In the meantime, Iíve been getting letter of recommendations and keeping a clean driving record. What else can I be doing to better my chances and make the waiver easier for my recruiter. If I know exactly what he needs, then I can bring him all the paperwork at once to make it easier for him. Iím willing to put in the work to get whatís needed, so trying to stay ahead of the game.
OK that makes sense. It sounds like you have done everything he needed so good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top