U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 08:20 AM

8,464 posts, read 6,903,730 times

Advertisements

I was stationed in Italy for 2 years. Absolutely loved it! I was in Gaeta, roughly half way between Naples and Rome. I didn't have much money due to child support. Some of the single guys had a blast traveling on leave. Hop a train and off to the Alps, hop a boat and off to the islands, take a car and go virtually anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 10:13 AM

27,799 posts, read 23,984,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Definitely use leave to travel places other than home, if home's not cutting it. There are numerous places you can visit that don't necessitate car rental.
Good advice. Stationed overseas and used leave to travel all over Europe.....Germany, France, Italy, England, Greece, Portugal.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:57 AM

5,045 posts, read 2,635,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Has the leave policy changed that allows military members to go "out of town" on weekends without taking leave? When I was in the AF in the 70s, one had to be within a certain time frame of being able to show up on the duty station when ever an exercise was called. The only way around that was to take leave. That was explained to me as the reason we got 30 days/year.
When I was in the Marine Corps we didn't have any restrictions like that. I was in 29 Palms in 1973 and we'd go to Hollywood on weekends without needing any type of liberty chit or having to take leave.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:39 PM

16,675 posts, read 9,056,419 times
Quote:
Has the leave policy changed that allows military members to go "out of town" on weekends without taking leave? When I was in the AF in the 70s, one had to be within a certain time frame of being able to show up on the duty station when ever an exercise was called. The only way around that was to take leave. That was explained to me as the reason we got 30 days/year.
I think that was a matter of local policy.

I recall that being the case when I was stationed at Offutt AFB in the early 70s--but SAC was pretty eat-up with Cold War preparedness in those days.

OTOH, when I was in tech school at Lowry AFB before that, there was no problem with me catching weekend flights to Oklahoma.

Nor did I run into that restriction any other time in my career. Particularly after it became common for the president to make the day after Thanksgiving a day off, people began taking trips all the time without taking leave.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:14 PM

4,604 posts, read 4,252,491 times
Quote:
As Ralph_Kirk said it is a matter of local policy. If you are just going out for the extended weekend like normal people you were able to do so. It was difficult a policy to enforce with folks staying on post but if you were living off base it is even harder to enforce for weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

I recall that being the case when I was stationed at Offutt AFB in the early 70s--but SAC was pretty eat-up with Cold War preparedness in those days.

OTOH, when I was in tech school at Lowry AFB before that, there was no problem with me catching weekend flights to Oklahoma.

Nor did I run into that restriction any other time in my career. Particularly after it became common for the president to make the day after Thanksgiving a day off, people began taking trips all the time without taking leave.
It is the same with Army and has been for a very long time. It was like that while I was in on active duty army.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:15 PM

11,931 posts, read 11,462,194 times
I never heard of a restriction on how far to go when on not on leave. I heard them advise about not trying to stretch it, but that is all.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:55 PM

5,290 posts, read 3,502,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Lowry was a training base, and if you were there in a tech school you probably would never need to be subject to call in for any emergency. I was there, myself as an instructor in avionics in the 70's. Before that I was in SAC in NH, at Pease AFB. One weekend I went camping at McConaughy Lake in Nebraska. Did not have leave either. Coming back on Sunday night there was a terrible thunderstorm. I was on my motorcycle and had to get back so I drove through it. Scariest thing I ever did, but I had no choice.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:25 AM

27,799 posts, read 23,984,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I never heard of a restriction on how far to go when on not on leave. I heard them advise about not trying to stretch it, but that is all.
happens for units on short recall time for deployment or other responses- had it happen occasionally

Old 01-08-2018, 02:10 PM

11,931 posts, read 11,462,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
happens for units on short recall time for deployment or other responses- had it happen occasionally
I heard of that (hell, done it), I thought the poster was just referring to "normal" (whatever that is, lol) work.

Just normal day on active duty, no restrictions, but part of base security, especially as the threat condition elevates, or when we pulled in for a port visit, there were restrictions.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:02 PM

171 posts, read 144,652 times
Quote:
Most commanders set a time radius. Used to be 5 hours where I’m at now but they changed it to 8 after the new CC realized how boring AR is, and that 5 hours barely gets you to the next town over.

If I could get stationed anywhere near the east coast I would go home on the weekends, still being in the time radius. That being said even if I end up out of radius, taking leave wouldn’t require nearly 2 days of driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or