U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2018, 01:31 PM
 
201 posts, read 157,759 times
Reputation: 100

Advertisements

I donít know if itís becuase Iím taking too much leave or what. Iím stationed in AR and Home is in NY. Itís either a far drive back or an expensive plane ticket. Iím single in the dorms.

I got to my first duty station November 2016. Went all the way til June 2017 before taking 2 weeks off. Then October 2017 I took a week off. Here I am in December with 3 weeks off into January. I used to always think I couldnít get enough leave but now Iím starting to think otherwise. Maybe Its getting stale at home and itís time to move on.

Iím thinking about doing a short tour overseas and getting base of preference to somewhere on the east coast. This way I can go home on the weekends and use leave to actually vacation instead of just going home. But I get a feeling that it may get stale after a while too(being near home).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2018, 05:12 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,661 posts, read 4,414,665 times
Reputation: 5887
When I was on active duty and single I didn't give two shakes about what happened at home. I was having too much fun being single with all the other single soldiers around me. They were my distraction. Yeah I went home. I went from Seattle Washington to Lewiston Maine 2 times. Yay. I didn't stay long. I had too much fun back at Ft Lewis.

I don't know what branch of service you are in. I suspect it is Air Force but that is a moot point. You need to enjoy your time or it is going to drive you mad. Find something that you can really dig your teeth into and work it with gusto.

Being close to "home" will do one of two things.

1. Make you feel as if you need to get out so you can hang around with all your civilian friends.
2. Make you realize that your civilian friends have no direction and will drive you away.

I am betting on the second one in your case. You aimed high. Enjoy the climb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 06:54 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,124 posts, read 9,098,025 times
Reputation: 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
I donít know if itís becuase Iím taking too much leave or what. Iím stationed in AR and Home is in NY. Itís either a far drive back or an expensive plane ticket. Iím single in the dorms.

I got to my first duty station November 2016. Went all the way til June 2017 before taking 2 weeks off. Then October 2017 I took a week off. Here I am in December with 3 weeks off into January. I used to always think I couldnít get enough leave but now Iím starting to think otherwise. Maybe Its getting stale at home and itís time to move on.

Iím thinking about doing a short tour overseas and getting base of preference to somewhere on the east coast. This way I can go home on the weekends and use leave to actually vacation instead of just going home. But I get a feeling that it may get stale after a while too(being near home).
I don't take all my leave, but often take just a friday to create a long weekend and hang out at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,585 posts, read 47,138,981 times
Reputation: 17307
I got out twice. Both times I had a lot of leave still on the books, and I took 90-days of terminal leave. Most commands where I was stationed were picky about when they allowed crewmen to take leave.

If I had the opportunity to do it all over again, I think that I would hit up the MWR office more frequently to see what kinds of round-trip vacation packages they had.

My last tour was in Naples Italy for 3 years. The MWR office there was great. I was able to take a 1-week vacation every quarter, and starting in Italy a short hop in any direction lands you at some sweet locations. I spent a week on a paddle steamer going up the Nile River. I skied the Matterhorn. I took a car ferry over to Greece for a week. We drove over to Paris a few times. I visited a bunch of archeologic dig sites in Israel.

Sadly I did not get into using the MWR services much until after I had been on Active Duty for 17 years. I should have been using it from the start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 03:09 PM
 
201 posts, read 157,759 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
When I was on active duty and single I didn't give two shakes about what happened at home. I was having too much fun being single with all the other single soldiers around me. They were my distraction. Yeah I went home. I went from Seattle Washington to Lewiston Maine 2 times. Yay. I didn't stay long. I had too much fun back at Ft Lewis.

I don't know what branch of service you are in. I suspect it is Air Force but that is a moot point. You need to enjoy your time or it is going to drive you mad. Find something that you can really dig your teeth into and work it with gusto.

Being close to "home" will do one of two things.

1. Make you feel as if you need to get out so you can hang around with all your civilian friends.
2. Make you realize that your civilian friends have no direction and will drive you away.

I am betting on the second one in your case. You aimed high. Enjoy the climb.

Iíve tried for months on trying to find something to dig into but always came to dead ends. Itís just a different lifestyle down south that Iím not about. All of the guys I work with are into video games too so that doesnít help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 03:13 PM
 
201 posts, read 157,759 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I got out twice. Both times I had a lot of leave still on the books, and I took 90-days of terminal leave. Most commands where I was stationed were picky about when they allowed crewmen to take leave.

If I had the opportunity to do it all over again, I think that I would hit up the MWR office more frequently to see what kinds of round-trip vacation packages they had.

My last tour was in Naples Italy for 3 years. The MWR office there was great. I was able to take a 1-week vacation every quarter, and starting in Italy a short hop in any direction lands you at some sweet locations. I spent a week on a paddle steamer going up the Nile River. I skied the Matterhorn. I took a car ferry over to Greece for a week. We drove over to Paris a few times. I visited a bunch of archeologic dig sites in Israel.

Sadly I did not get into using the MWR services much until after I had been on Active Duty for 17 years. I should have been using it from the start.

My main thing is that since I never really get a ďbreakĒ from the Air Force, whenever I take leave I want to go home and just forget about things for a bit. I wouldnít mind hopping except Iím not at the legal age to rent a car yet, so going to places will be a major hassle.

For a bit I was planning on going out to the west coast but it costs money, in which I donít have. Plus itís no fun to go alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2018, 01:23 PM
 
17,640 posts, read 9,615,918 times
Reputation: 17098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
My main thing is that since I never really get a ďbreakĒ from the Air Force, whenever I take leave I want to go home and just forget about things for a bit. I wouldnít mind hopping except Iím not at the legal age to rent a car yet, so going to places will be a major hassle.

For a bit I was planning on going out to the west coast but it costs money, in which I donít have. Plus itís no fun to go alone
Rent a car? You're not hopping to Florida, you're going somewhere you don't even know the rules of the road. Most places--you're not going to rent a car.

The point is, use your ample leave in the military to do things and go places you wouldn't have an opportunity to go and do otherwise.

Don't even try to stay home--volunteer for overseas duty just to get the heck out of CONUS, and stay out of CONUS as long as you can--so you're already halfway to lots of other exotic places.

Catching hops is one of the most valuable bennies there is, even after retirement.

I remembered passing through Travis one time. I saw an older couple sitting on their suitcases looking at the flight board. I asked them, "Where are you headed?"

The man nodded his head at the board and said, "Looks like there are some open seats on that flight to Pago Pago...and we've never been to Pago Pago."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2018, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,765 posts, read 38,876,839 times
Reputation: 48467
Definitely use leave to travel places other than home, if home's not cutting it. There are numerous places you can visit that don't necessitate car rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2018, 05:09 PM
 
Location: The South
4,447 posts, read 3,097,182 times
Reputation: 6455
I was given a 10 day leave after basic training and then was gone 19 months, 15 of it was in Korea. I was pretty happy to get the next leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2018, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
5,701 posts, read 3,697,278 times
Reputation: 4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post

Iím thinking about doing a short tour overseas and getting base of preference to somewhere on the east coast. This way I can go home on the weekends and use leave to actually vacation instead of just going home. But I get a feeling that it may get stale after a while too(being near home).
Has the leave policy changed that allows military members to go "out of town" on weekends without taking leave? When I was in the AF in the 70s, one had to be within a certain time frame of being able to show up on the duty station when ever an exercise was called. The only way around that was to take leave. That was explained to me as the reason we got 30 days/year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 PM.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top