U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 04:54 PM

24,412 posts, read 35,720,247 times

Advertisements

I didn't find it. This man did. https://www.facebook.com/kevin.cobb.10

Found December 5th.

I know this is a shot in the dark but I found this U.S Navy ring today metal detecting in Dinwiddie,Virginia. The initials are "LEY 73" and it has the number 432 on one of the sides . I know that's not a lot of info but I would really like to find the owner. Help me out by sharing this post ..the more people that see this the better chance of me finding the owner ...thanks in advance .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 05:15 AM

1,754 posts, read 1,155,087 times
Why don't you contact the VFW or American Legion.... or Navy Public Affairs at the Pentagon.... All you need do is find out what that 432 means, and I bet the Navy can tell you exactly who that person was by the initials and the date. That 432 is probably a ship or submarine number, and every vessel in the Navy has an alumni society with a website.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:22 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,224,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Why don't you contact the VFW or American Legion.... or Navy Public Affairs at the Pentagon.... All you need do is find out what that 432 means, and I bet the Navy can tell you exactly who that person was by the initials and the date. That 432 is probably a ship or submarine number, and every vessel in the Navy has an alumni society with a website.
Check with the Naval Academy Alumni office. A search will give you a phone number.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:20 PM

1,213 posts, read 713,163 times
Lost and Found – USNA CLASS RINGS

Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

154 posts, read 148,549 times
That's not a Naval Academy ring. An academy ring is nicer and is engraved with "United States Naval Academy". It will also have the class graduation date engraved on the side. Midshipmen often spend a fortune on their class rings hence the nickname "ring knocker". It appears to be a United States Navy ring designed for an enlisted person. Young Sailors often purchase them when they graduate from boot camp. The engraving on the side is a logo used by the Navy Recruit Training Command at Great Lakes, IL.

I think it's admirable that you'd like to find the owner of the lost ring but I'm not sure that you'll get many leads if you call the Pentagon or Secretary of the Navy's office.

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
That's not a Naval Academy ring. An academy ring is nicer and is engraved with "United States Naval Academy". It will also have the class graduation date engraved on the side. Midshipmen often spend a fortune on their class rings hence the nickname "ring knocker". It appears to be a United States Navy ring designed for an enlisted person. Young Sailors often purchase them when they graduate from boot camp. The engraving on the side is a logo used by the Navy Recruit Training Command at Great Lakes, IL.

I think it's admirable that you'd like to find the owner of the lost ring but I'm not sure that you'll get many leads if you call the Pentagon or Secretary of the Navy's office.
Appreciate the info. I'm not the one with the ring. It's the man in the link I've provided. Unfortunately I've also discovered it's virtually impossible to contact him about it.

Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM

154 posts, read 148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Appreciate the info. I'm not the one with the ring. It's the man in the link I've provided. Unfortunately I've also discovered it's virtually impossible to contact him about it.

You're quite welcome. I'm betting some young squid lost it and forgot about it or the young lady that he gave to as a keepsake lost it or tossed it. About 16 million men and women have served in the Navy since 1970. I'm pretty good at locating people on line but I think finding the owner of that ring based on those initials and number is a real longshot.

Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM

Me too. But it would be nice.

Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

9,689 posts, read 9,723,831 times
This is from December of 2014 and the news story says it's been shared over 200,000 times, so if the owner hasn't already been found it doesn't seem too hopeful.

Old Today, 04:09 PM

I hate when posts are made without date info. The on one Facebook had none. Grrrr.

Knowing who posted it should have been a trigger for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues