U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 08:30 PM

40 posts, read 12,341 times

Advertisements

I joined the service and went active duty in 1976. The USAF trained me as a med lab tech, something I had wanted for years knowing it would serve me well after the service when the GI Bill would allow me to attend college. That GI Bill helped me earn both a bachelorís degree and it helped for most of a masters.

Iíll retire at some point this year and I canít help but think the service helped me to be successful. My training helped to give me a great part time job both during and after the service when I was in college. Twice, I walked into a hospital looking for a job, twice I walked out with a job pending paperwork of course.

If you know someone in high school who doesnít have money for college, could use a few years to ďgrow upĒ and is willing to work hard, the service is still a great option. I got to serve with some great people in a time when most in the US turned their backs on the military but that didnít matter to us. We did our jobs and we were there for each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 03:49 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,418,875 times
Thanks for your service and sharing your story. I'm glad to hear your decision as a young person helped you out in your life and career. I hope that at least some of CD's younger readers will take your post seriously in their future decisions. I do still think joining the military can be an solid avenue for some disadvantaged youth who come from a difficult or troubled background. Or quite simply some of them are just having a hard time figuring out what to do in deciding a career path.

Now with having the ability to search internet, younger people have many options before their curious eyes without realizing how much it can help them now and in the future.

Old Today, 04:51 PM

884 posts, read 887,906 times
I joined the Navy in 1975 after working dead-end jobs because I had no real skills. Military people weren't well-liked after the Vietnam war, but fortunately I didn't care what other people thought of me anyway. Becoming a Hospital Corpsman opened my eyes to all kinds of health care related fields I could pursue. The GI Bill helped pay for undergraduate and graduate degrees, and 43 years later, I'm still employed in health care. As you said, the military has a lot to offer someone who is willing to work hard and put in the time. It wasn't all fun and games, but I managed to have some great times during those four years, too.

Old Today, 09:40 PM

40 posts, read 12,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
I joined the Navy in 1975 after working dead-end jobs because I had no real skills. Military people weren't well-liked after the Vietnam war, but fortunately I didn't care what other people thought of me anyway. Becoming a Hospital Corpsman opened my eyes to all kinds of health care related fields I could pursue. The GI Bill helped pay for undergraduate and graduate degrees, and 43 years later, I'm still employed in health care. As you said, the military has a lot to offer someone who is willing to work hard and put in the time. It wasn't all fun and games, but I managed to have some great times during those four years, too.
Feels pretty good doesnít it? All of your/our hard work is paying off!

Agreed on the Vietnam war comments. I was set upon by a drunk in the airport in Dallas on the way home at Christmas, 1976...we were told to wear dress blues. He ended up stuffed and cuffed with a bloody nose. Luckily, a vet stood helped explain to the cops what occurred and I made my flight home. Took me a while to understand why I was targeted. Yep, young and maybe a little green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues